How do I let clover go to seed for next year?

My neighbor has nothing but white clover so I now have white clover. I hate it but he has not maintained is yard well in 5 years so I don't really expect him to change anytime soon. I will just have to wait until it burns off in a few weeks and try to get the grass to choke it out better. I just can't imagine anyone thinking it looks good so this thread boggles my mind. 

• Admin Team
13 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

I would take prison rape over goats. 

No goats. 

Not now, 

Not ever. 

For srslys.

Also, you're not allowed to ever speak to my goat-enamoured wife. Ever. 

😁

Someone described goats to me the other day as livestock that actively looks for ways to kill themselves and wreak the maximum amount of havoc in the process.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, Omega said:

Has she heard of Goat Yoga? 😇

6-12-17-goat-yoga-washington-dc-1-994x55

I swear.....I WILL strike you. 

Do you want to get striked?! 😂

Mrs P. has been pestering for goats for years. I drew the line at ducks. We have ducks. I really drew the line at geese. We have a goose. I was vigorous in my protests about a pig. We have a pig. 

Goats is the hill I will 'king die on. 

• Haha 3
  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, Handsome Rob said:

I swear.....I WILL strike you. 

Do you want to get striked?! 😂

Mrs P. has been pestering for goats for years. I drew the line at ducks. We have ducks. I really drew the line at geese. We have a goose. I was vigorous in my protests about a pig. We have a pig. 

Goats is the hill I will 'king die on. 

So, I’m gonna start of betting pool for when Rob gets a goat. Y’all think 90 days will be enough? Or is that too much?

3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Someone described goats to me the other day as livestock that actively looks for ways to kill themselves and wreak the maximum amount of havoc in the process.

This is exactly how I would describe almost every  country boy redneck I know!

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, OldIronFan said:

My neighbor has nothing but white clover so I now have white clover. I hate it but he has not maintained is yard well in 5 years so I don't really expect him to change anytime soon. I will just have to wait until it burns off in a few weeks and try to get the grass to choke it out better. I just can't imagine anyone thinking it looks good so this thread boggles my mind. 

As I said earlier here, if your neighbors have weeds, you're gonna have weeds. The only solution is the services that come spray 4-6 times a year. 

To me, all the pollinating insects (mostly honey bees) are way more important than my grass looking like an Augusta National fairway. 

• Like 4
19 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

I would take prison rape over goats. 

No goats. 

Not now, 

Not ever. 

For srslys.

Also, you're not allowed to ever speak to my goat-enamoured wife. Ever. 

😁

back to goats. why does every thread lately lead to goats?

4 hours ago, papa61 said:

back to goats. why does every thread lately lead to goats?

4 hours ago, E4 No More said:

Because some have an affinity for goats.

BTW, Rob I understand @Chucktshoes has some well-used, but still attractive goats available ...

• Haha 1

I've had best luck controlling unwanted lawn weeds using slow release granuals from various big pharma companies. Sprinkle that junk on every 3 months, and spot-treat troublesome areas with spray application. There was some liquid concentrate (think it was blue colored?) I got at the local co-op that did a good job after a few weekly applications. Took more than one hit to kill, though. Then the bare spots took forever to take grass.... now I figure clover ain't so bad. 

9 hours ago, -boatman- said:

Put me in the camp that does not like it, at least in the yard. What will kill it?. My yard has been taken over by it this year. 24D and MSMA hurts it but doesn't kill it.

Probably the best way to get rid of clover is with nitrogen.  Ensuring that your grasses have adequate nitrogen levels discourages clover from spreading.  Pre-merge herbicides will help keep clover from spreading, but don't eradicate it entirely, so post -emergence applications are necessary.  Combined with plenty of nitrogen fertilizers, these herbicides will stunt it's growth and allow grasses like bermuda to spread and gradually choke it out.  Some prefer ammonium sulfate as their choice for using fertilizer against clover, as sulfur levels effect how grasses spread.  Eliminating clover is a gradual process, and as others have stated, if clover is around it will eventually invade your lawn as well.  Other things like collecting clippings helps, and setting mower levels higher also is beneficial, as clover is a low-level weed and taller grasses can more effectively take over.  That last suggestion is one I never personally used, as we needed to keep the mowing levels low to encourage our hybrid bermudas to spread, typically we mowed in spring and throughout summer at 5/8's to 3/4" tall ...

I like clover and find it somewhat amusing how hard people work to get rid of it. What I have been fighting for 6 years now is Kudzu. Now there is enemy worth fighting. I have it beaten back to only a small amount in a few area from covering several acres. I think it would have grow over my driveway if I would have been gone for a couple of months the first summer we were here.

I have been told you can't beat it, only control it. Sounds like clover shares that attribute. The other thing in common is it will come back if you don't keep after and it spreads from adjacent areas. I was told that our road had no Kudzu till the town talked one fellow into accepting some fill dirt they wanted to get rid of. Unfortunately that area is adjacent to my property.

I have a like thinking new neighbors that bought 4 acres beside my place and is trying to control Kudzu in the 2 acres beside my place currently and would like to get rid of it on the other half. Unfortunately the other side of me is a riven that the that owner doesn't care one way or the other but I don't have a strong enough sprayer to control it to far down into the area (I upgraded my sprayer last year and I can get out about 40' now). I'm convinced if I stopped control for a few years it would be back pretty much as bad as when I started. I will do my first spraying in the next couple of weeks.