Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel

ukerduker

I'm looking to get a little more distance out of my AR-15. At first I thought I wanted the 6.8SPC, but after more research the 6.5 Grendel seems to be a better choice. I am looking at the 6.5 Grendel complete upper from Alexander Arms to complement my .223 SBR.

http://www.alexanderarms.com/siteshopper.htm?cat=15&item=63

Has anyone purchased from AA? If so, what are your thoughts on the 6.5? After searching the threads on TGO, I see there was a project in the works by the guys at Hero Gear. What were results of this build?

Guest FroggyOne2

There are a few National Match shooters getting good results with it.. but many have gone to the 6.5 Grendal necked down to 6mm and getting better results with that.. take a look at this website.. http://www.6mmar.com/ Robert will be glad to answer any questions that you may have about both rounds.. also I would suggest that you go to http://www.6mmbr.com/index.html and do a little research there too..

also you will get a lot of info from the folks at www.nationalmatch.us .. Hope that this helps!

Just curious, did you settle on the Grendel due to the range factor? I am going with the 6.8, but I don't see me shooting much over 300 yrds practically. The thing that turned me away from the 6.5 is there are only two or three 6.5 builders and all all of the major builders are selling 6.8 SPC as well as a fair amount of custom shops. Seems the market is holding the 6.8 better and will thrive in the near future. I worried that the 6.5 might be cost prohibitive down the road.

I know the 6.5 is better compared to the .308 and the 6.8 is better compared to the 5.56, just curious as to why 6.5 over 6.8 in your case.

Just curious, did you settle on the Grendel due to the range factor? I am going with the 6.8, but I don't see me shooting much over 300 yrds practically. The thing that turned me away from the 6.5 is there are only two or three 6.5 builders and all all of the major builders are selling 6.8 SPC as well as a fair amount of custom shops. Seems the market is holding the 6.8 better and will thrive in the near future. I worried that the 6.5 might be cost prohibitive down the road.

I know the 6.5 is better compared to the .308 and the 6.8 is better compared to the 5.56, just curious as to why 6.5 over 6.8 in your case.

Range, power, and adaptability. At first I wanted something that will reach out to 600-1000 yards. Well, I can't afford a Barrett .50 or Aramlite AR-50. So I started looking for the next step down. Well a friend recommended the 6.8SCP. It was pointed out that I didn't need another complete weapon. I could swap uppers on my .223 AR and get more distance. So I started reading up on the 6.8 round. The 6.8 was designed as a upgraded round for the military 5.56. As I understand this round was designed for under 300 yard use. It loses its punch out beyond 300m, where the 6.5 is still supersonic at 1200 yards.

My thinking:

Range- 600+ yards

Power- Greater terminal velocity than 6.8

Adapability- I can purchase/swap an upper rather than buying a new complete rifle

You do bring up a good point about the current number of purchase options. It's not a popular and readily available caliber. If I do go with this choice, I will begin reloading this round. I am currently up in Vermont and I found a great little gun shop that has great prices on 6.5 bullets and new, unprimed brass (better prices than Midway).

• 4 weeks later...

Just as an FYI there is a manufacturer in the Nashville area called Sabre Defence that makes AR's in 6.5 Grendel. Have been looking at the different calibers and have come to the conclusion that 6.5 Grendel might be what I am looking for also but the availability of ammo might be an issue. But you might find what you are looking for in an upper through Sabre Defence, you might be able to find out more on their website

http://www.sabredefence.com/

Hope this helps

• 3 months later...

Well, it took me awhile to get back to this thread. The funding is almost "approved" so I thought I would document my build. I purchased a Spikes Tactical lower and a Magpul PRS stock from Joe down at Hero-Gear. I installed a DPMS parts kits. I plan to swap out the trigger group later, but this kit will do for now. Last weekend I received the buffer tube, buffer and buffer spring. After about 30 minutes I had a complete lower.

65lowerassy001.jpg

I plan to order a complete upper from AlexanderArms.com in the coming weeks. I'm still deciding between the overwatch upper (24") and the GSR Grendel Sniper Rifle upper (28"). For optics, I plan to install a Nightforce scope (50mm or 56mm). I have not decided on the magnification at this point. This will get a Harris bipod to give it legs. Once its all together, I'll pass it on to Joe for a custom paint job.

More pictures to follow as parts come in.

Guest Astra900

If you're into the 6.5, check out the new 6.5 Creedmoor. It looks good on paper. Reports in magazines I have read say it's extremely accurate.

If you're into the 6.5, check out the new 6.5 Creedmoor. It looks good on paper. Reports in magazines I have read say it's extremely accurate.

If I went with the 6.5 Creedmoor, I would not be able to use my standard AR lower. I would have to purchase an AR-10 lower. I want to have an interchangeable upper/lower combo. The Grendel appears to be more "commericialized" at this point, making it easy to purchase and get customer service via Alexander Arms or Sabre Defense. I'm set on purchasing a Grendel. I have purchased my brass and bullets for reloading.

BuildingtheSR003.jpg

Here is a picture comparing .223 55gr vs 6.5mm 130gr (.264) bullets.

BuildingtheSR005.jpg

Guest JLowe

I ended up doing the opposite. I chose the 6.8 over the 6.5 due to the availability of ammo, brass, bullet selection, and proven abilities. I do not believe that I will have to engage targets beyond 300 with my AR anyways, thats what I have my bolt gun for. The 6.8 shows great accuracy and ability within the ranges I intend on using it for and a greater variety of bullets as the .277 round has been around for quite some time. The .264 has never been a commercially popular round in the US, so there are some limitations as to different types of bullets available. I am currently awaiting some Nosler Accubonds, powder, Dies, and some more brass to get my reloading started.

Mike- I'm getting ready to go overseas for 4-6 months. I will be ordering my upper from Alexander Arms just before I depart. I hope to have it when I get home. It's looking more like I will go with the 24" barrel and use the cost savings to invest in my optics.

The Berger bullets are very cool. I would hate to be on the receiving end of that beauty.

More info to follow when I make my purchase...

• 6 months later...

I finally got everything together with this project, with these parts:

- Alexander Arms Overwatch Upper with 24" barrel

- Alexander Arms muzzle brake

- Spikes lower w/ DPMS LPK installed (awaiting upgrade trigger)

- Magpul MIAD grip with bolt & firing pin holder insert

- Magpul PRS stock

- Magpul mono-pod (I love this option!)

- BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle with Mod 3 Latch (the large latch)

- La Rue LT-104 scope mount

- Leupold Mark4 4.5-14x50mm w/ illuminated reticle

- Paint job from Picaso Joe @ Hero Gear.

BigBrother005.jpg

The lighting sucks in my basement

BigBrother065.jpg

With the build done, I had to create my rounds. I went with the Berger 130grain VLDs (target), paired with hodgdon powder, and CCI small rifle magnum primers. I tested three batches: 28.0, 28.5, and 29.0 grains of powder. There was no obvious difference in the 28.5 & 29.0 rounds. I had some typical hurdels in my testing and zeroing. First I only had a limited number of rounds and then my scope was loose. After the first 3 rounds, I wasn't hitting the target at 100 years. I back the target up to the 50yd line and saw that I was hitting high and right. I corrected my sight and shot again. I was now hitting center mast. I moved it back to 100 yards and shot again. These were my last 3 rounds( left target).

GrendelZeroing001.jpg

Well, for only having 18 rounds total. I am very happy, so far. The muzzle break almost eliminates ANY recoil. Once you get past the initial blast of the trigger pull, this is an amazing weapon. This is going to be a tack driver. I'm brewing up the next batch of rounds to finish the zeroing. More to follow...

And, yes, Righterwinger, you will get to shoot this soon. :cool:

Guest rystine

Beautiful rifle, I am one of those guys who is quickly becoming intrigued with the 6.5 grendel. I bet you're really looking forward to getting it out to a 600+ yard range and really let it stretch it's legs. :cool:

Beautiful rifle, I am one of those guys who is quickly becoming intrigued with the 6.5 grendel. I bet you're really looking forward to getting it out to a 600+ yard range and really let it stretch it's legs. :cool:

One word- Absolutely! Once I got used to the bang, I realized there was no kick significant. As any reloader will admit, testing your first few rounds can be nerve-racking. Also, trying to zero and test round recipes is not the best combination. In any event, I look forward to the results of shooting 300, 500, and beyond. I hope to be smacking 300yd targets later this week.

Very nice, I've been wanting a 6.5 for awhile now, but i am thinkning something with a 18in bbl. Since you are reloading yourself there are a few videos on youtube you can check, where they hydroform 7.62x39 brass for 6.5 grend. also i am pretty sure you know wolf is making some decent ammo for it. on another note i'd like to see some distant targets by this rifle.

• 1 month later...

I got out after being snowed-in yesterday and had some fun at the range. I am still learning the basics of my Mark 4 Leupold. I think I almost have it dialed in where I want it. Here's a few pics of my zombie killing today. My target was at 100yards.

I added some glowing orange eyes to simulate my zombie.

31JAN2010_65Grendel_100yards001.jpg

I dialed in my scope, but I'm still about 1.5inches low.

31JAN2010_65Grendel_100yards003.jpg

This was my best grouping of the day.

31JAN2010_65Grendel_100yards006.jpg

Finally I had to destroy the zombie with a triple-tap to the head. Mission complete. :up:

31JAN2010_65Grendel_100yards004.jpg

Either the 6.5 or 6.8 outperforms the 5.56mm at all ranges. As stated above, the 6.8 is the better performer out of barrels shorter than 18" and at ranges under 300 yards. With barrels longer than 18" and ranges over 300 yards, the 6.5 really starts to show up the 6.8mm.

My dream weapon is an M249 in 6.5Grendel! Slow the rate of fire down a bit, and it would be the perfect belt-fed!

Well, after waiting out the weather, I finally made it to the range and made the final adjustments to my Grendel. I'm now dialed in at 100 yds. Now its time to see what kind of distance I can get out of her. :)

Photos019.jpg

Also, today I purchased my Adams Arms (Adams Arms - LE Rifle System) piston conversion kit. My current forearm is approx 12.25" in length. It basically sits just behind my current gas block. So, does this mean I have to purchase a 12" (piston compatible) forearm now? I can't tell from the pictures how far the gas block sits behind the mount. Will this interfere with the length of a 12" forearm? Or do I have to go with a 10" setup? Anyone have any knowledge on these kits?

I plan to call Adams Arms after the kit arrives, but I'm trying to price out my forearm in the mean time.

• 1 month later...

Well, today I was excited because I finally received all the parts to covert my Grendel into a gas-piston upper. I bought the following parts:

- Adams Arms rifle length conversion kit

- A new barrel from Wardogoutfitters.com (Needed a gas block diameter of 0.720". My old barrel was a heavy bull barrel)

- A muzzle brake from SabreDefence

- A freefloat quad rail from Midwest Industries.

- A Harris bipod adapter from Yankee Hill Machine

I took all my upgrades down to Joe and his armorer at Hero Gear. There they broke everything down, installed the parts and pieces, and gave my beauty a shot of paint.

When it was all done, this thing was perfect! One thing was bothering me on my ride back to Nashville. When the gas piston actuating rod was installed, there was limited range of motion to actuate the bolt carrier group. When I got home I did some research and found out I made a HUGE (and costly) mistake. Allow me to pass this along before others make the same mistake.

I thought I purchased the Midwest Industries two-piece rail system. When it was installed it was one piece, but it didn't sink in. The Adams Arms site calls specifically for the two-piece setup, when using the MIDWEST setup, due to the oversized barrel nut associated with there other rail systems. Unknowning, I selected the wrong rail when I purchased mine, in turn, it had the oversized nut. This is what caused the limited travel on the bolt carrier group actuating rod.

In any event, I now need a new freefloat rail to fix this issue. I was sick when I figured out I bought the wrong rail. The rifle looks incredible and I was hoping to take it out for the official break-in tomorrow... guess not.

Well, here's the current pics. I'll post more after the corrective action has been applied.

Bolt carrier group with the 2 rounds I reload 120gr SMK and 130 Berger VLDs

GrendelV2006.jpg

GrendelV2001.jpg

GrendelV2002.jpg

GrendelV2003.jpg

GrendelV2004.jpg

GrendelV2005.jpg