Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel

ukerduker

Sure looks nice. Hat to hear about the rail, but shouldn't the smith have caught that or was it something he wouldn't know?

I won't blame this on anyone but myself. I made the error in selecting my free-float rail. The armorer did comment on the short travel of the rod, but from what I gathered, he was unfamiliar with this kit.

I'm down, but not out! I will try to get it fixed shortly.

• 11 months later...

I am wanting to build or buy an upper in 6.5mm Grendel. I really like the looks of the Alexander Arms GSR Upper, but its just too expensive. I am thinking about getting the exact same upper that you purchased, but I'm wondering if in hindsight it would have been better if you had got the 6.5 Grendel � Piston Upper to begin with? I'm really wanting to build one or at least the Lower and I actually want the same stock that you put on your Tack Driver, but that $240.00 price tag has me shell shocked. I want a 20" barrel on mine, do you have any recommendations for me on the best & cheapest way to find the parts for my build? Any advice would be Greatly appreciated.. :-) Thanks

I am wanting to build or buy an upper in 6.5mm Grendel. I really like the looks of the Alexander Arms GSR Upper, but its just too expensive. I am thinking about getting the exact same upper that you purchased, but I'm wondering if in hindsight it would have been better if you had got the 6.5 Grendel � Piston Upper to begin with? I'm really wanting to build one or at least the Lower and I actually want the same stock that you put on your Tack Driver, but that $240.00 price tag has me shell shocked. I want a 20" barrel on mine, do you have any recommendations for me on the best & cheapest way to find the parts for my build? Any advice would be Greatly appreciated.. :-) Thanks

Let be start by saying you get what you pay for...

My project started with a reasonably priced used AA upper. I found this on www.65grendel.com. (You can also find good deals on gunbroker.com.) I then added additional upgrades over time as I could afford them. I looked at the GSR upper, but like you, the price was beyond my budget. AA only offers a gas piston upper in 18", and I wanted a 24" barrel. When considering a piston upper, the price is significantly higher up front. BUT, if you choose a standard configuration and install a piston conversion kit at a later date, you pay approx the same price after purchasing the kit, a new rail, and installing it. When I purchased my Adams Arms kit, I failed to realize that my gas block was too large. This forced me to purchase a new, smaller gas block barrel. It became an expensive mistake. Whatever configuration you choose, make it easy on yourself and buy a complete upper to start.

Also keep in mind the rifling twist when looking at purchasing your upper. Mine is a 1-9. You might want to do some research on the bullets and their weights before deciding on a twist. I'm shooting 120 SMKs and 130 Berger VLD with amazing accuracy. The downside to a grendel is the fluctuating availability of ammunition. There can be shortages and extended backorders from time to time, but reloading can eliminate this issue.

Additional upgrades- This is where it becomes subjective and your wallet may assume the leadership role. My rule of thumb- purchase items that allow you the most flexibility. My PRS stock is very nice, but it does come at higher a cost. I like the adjustments and the bottom rail for my mono-pod. Other items like a scope, a larger charging handle, bipod, muzzle break, suppressor, Magpul MIAD grip with storage area, etc,....add until your heart's content or your wallet is empty.

I am reloading 6.5 grendel. So if you are a reloader and need future assistance in working up your loads. Let me know.

ukerduker,

Thanks for the advice, its really come in handy so far in many ways:cool: . I just happened to get a message from another member that had been reading your post, and he wanted to sell his 6.5 Grendel upper. So I went and looked it over this morning and it has a 20" 410 stainless steel fluted barrel with a 1:9 twist, Free-float aluminum tubular hand-guard, Front and rear flip-up sights and a muzzle brake just like yours.. Its a Sabre Defense and it looks just like the Competition Deluxe upper with the tubular hand guard (instead of the Free-float quadrail hand-guard) thats shown on this model on the www.sabredefence.com website.

Ok, so I had to buy it:D now I need a lower to go with it, preferably one that has 6.5 Grendel stamped on it, or multi caliber..

I do reload "its been a few years" but I still have my Dillon 550B so I just need the dyes and I'll be set...

Thanks again for the advice, it really did help me a lot!!! :D

One thing I will stress about the dies, going cheap ruins your brass. I initially purchased a set of Lee 6.5 Grendel dies and the results were very inconsistent. At time during the resizing, the brass was "crushed". At nearly a buck each, I didn't want to risk losing additional cases. I opted for the Redding competition dies and its been smooth sailing ever since. I'll give you my old Lee dies if you like. :D

You can't go wrong with Sabre! As for your lower, just pick a reasonably priced one. It does not need to be stamped with anything grendel specific. Mine is a Spikes Tactical lower and has CAL MULTI stamped into it.

Welcome to the Grendel family!

i built my own using a j &t kit with a 24 inch barrel . i bought redding dies but at the time couldnt find brass so i bought wolf gold ammo great brass have been told they get it from lapua.with 120 grain noslers it will scare you it shoots so good

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
Guest tnpanscraper

I have a Double star lower and a 24" extra heavy stainless barrel with free float tube from Model 1 Sales.... Really made my AR come alive!!!!! I do not reload....yet...

Been using the wolf 120gr MPT's and for more accuracy, I have Hornady 123gr A-Max Ballistic tip.... The 123's are awesome but the 6.5 is freakin loud! It's a tac driver!!!!

I just need to paint the rifle and decise which scope I want to keep on it.... Has a Leupold Vari x II 3-9x40 at the moment....

PA080017.jpg

Guest Keinengel

A 6.5 Upper is on my short list currently. I had intended to buy one recently but I ended up going a different route and purchasing an L1A1 FAL variant. Ammo availability is something I'm not too pleased about however since I don't reload.

Guest tnpanscraper

Ammo selection is pretty slim but it's an awesome round. The Wolf MPT's are not too bad.... I can always switch back to 5.56 pretty quick too...