Cheap Savage pump shotgun at Walmart?

jeff43

Anybody tried one of these for $147? I been kind of looking around for a cheap 20 gauge pump ( like I need another shotgun) to carry on the 4wheelers and SxS. Just wanting something cheap to chop the barrel to 18.5". I've read mixed reviews.

I stopped by the gun counter at Wal-Mart since I was there at about 8 PM. I thought I would look and give you an opinion. After waiting a few minutes after the call for a manager, the young man running the counter told me that the only manager that could open up the gun cases was just leaving. He was not allowed to since he had only worked in sporting goods 2 weeks. 

I feel old sometimes, but for a 24 hour store I always find that the people in charge go home and take the keys. I mean, 8 PM is not a ridiculous hour to look at a gun. 2 AM maybe...

So sorry. If I am back in there earlier in the day, I will take a look.

probably made in turkey...but honestly with savages name slapped on it for $147 I don't think you could do better...perfect truck gun or something to knock around...if your gonna take it in the woods I would recommend you do one of those bubba coating jobs on it to prevent rust...I'm sure its finish is thin thin thin.

No more Walmart guns for me.  A kid I take hunting got a Walmart shotgun, it's aweful.  I had to mess with the trigger to get it to where a 10 Year old could even pull it.  The door and finish are terrible as well.  

20 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

No more Walmart guns for me.  A kid I take hunting got a Walmart shotgun, it's aweful.  I had to mess with the trigger to get it to where a 10 Year old could even pull it.  The door and finish are terrible as well.  

What brand was it ? Was it one of the Savage shotguns?

8 hours ago, jeff43 said:

What brand was it ? Was it one of the Savage shotguns?

It's a Hatfield single shot.  My understanding is that Walmart contacts these guns out.  They are super poor quality.  When the consumer has a problem they can return the fun to the store and the manufacturer will refuse to help, so you are stuck with a junk gun.  If be very wary. 

8 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

14 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

It's a Hatfield single shot.  My understanding is that Walmart contacts these guns out.  They are super poor quality.  When the consumer has a problem they can return the fun to the store and the manufacturer will refuse to help, so you are stuck with a junk gun.  If be very wary. 

So it’s not a Savage shotgun.  Has nothing to do with WM and the original question.

Edited by Garufa

Walmart gun seller here.

You get what you pay for, people.

The shotgun we carry, that I most want, is a Mossberg 535 in 12 ga., chambered for 3.5". For only ~$30-40 more than their baseline 500, I get a shotty that can fire most everything in the civvy inventory, with a more robust action. And if I get the hankering for home defense, I go online and order a drop in 22" barrel.

Base pre tax n bkgd check is $287 out here.

I wish I owned one to give you review of it.  I did peruse the web and came up with several pages of reviews (most for 2012 through 2014).  The shotgun is made in China and is based on the Winchester 1300.  National Rifleman gave it bare bones favorable review.  It has a matte finish.  There are some negative comments out there.  One guy on the Ruger Forum, from 2014, said he bought one and it wouldn't cycle.  He found lots of metal shavings in the innards and some bent parts, which might have happened when he tried to cycle it and the shavings bound everything up.  That's one of the reasons I tend to clean a new firearm before my first shooting experience with it.

All in all, for the price, it sounds like the perfect truck/farm shotgun.

1 hour ago, Moped said:

I wish I owned one to give you review of it.  I did peruse the web and came up with several pages of reviews (most for 2012 through 2014).  The shotgun is made in China and is based on the Winchester 1300.  National Rifleman gave it bare bones favorable review.  It has a matte finish.  There are some negative comments out there.  One guy on the Ruger Forum, from 2014, said he bought one and it wouldn't cycle.  He found lots of metal shavings in the innards and some bent parts, which might have happened when he tried to cycle it and the shavings bound everything up.  That's one of the reasons I tend to clean a new firearm before my first shooting experience with it.

All in all, for the price, it sounds like the perfect truck/farm shotgun.

Yeah about the same stuff I read about it. But on any reviews your only gonna see the bad stuff.

16 hours ago, Garufa said:

So it’s not a Savage shotgun.  Has nothing to do with WM and the original question.

My apologies, it's a Walmart contract gun purchased at Walmart.  Maybe that's the case with these Savages, maybe it isn't.  Just trying to keep someone else from having a bad experience.

• 2 years later...
On 5/17/2018 at 12:43 PM, jeff43 said:

Anybody tried one of these for $147? I been kind of looking around for a cheap 20 gauge pump ( like I need another shotgun) to carry on the 4wheelers and SxS. Just wanting something cheap to chop the barrel to 18.5". I've read mixed reviews.

The 20 gauge pump action shotgun at Walmart for $147 is actually the Stevens 320. This is a fantastic gun. I've copied the last review I read on it and will paste it....   "The Savage Stevens 320 pump action shotgun is based upon a proven rotary bolt design with dual action bars for a smooth action. These economical shotguns are rugged, simple to operate, and dependable. This field grade shotgun has a 26" carbon steel vent rib barrel and synthetic stock. The barrel is threaded for Win choke and comes with interchangeable choke tubes.".    

I've used these shotguns. They're great. The Walmart near me also sells Mossberg 500. They're still sloppy and a rattle trap, But that's what you're buying. The pardner is a fantastic 12 gauge for $148. The 20 gauge pump is lightweight and fits larger framed people and younger shooters. The number one rule when buying any firearm is take it home and clean it completely and reassemble oiled ready to use. I will update this post this weekend after I fired both the partner 12 gauge and the $147 stevens 320 20 gauge. I'm picking one up tom and buying the 20 gauge while I'm there.

Edited by SafeARLOVER
Added info
  • Like 1