High Shooting in Texas

Less than 5 hours for Pelosi to be using this as leverage... the blood in the ER is not even try yet...

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

How does CNN get a reporter to a random place such as this in just a few minutes?

Yep. They seemed to have talked to a lot of kids really quickly during an active shooter event.... It does make one wonder.....

Prayers for all the folks affected by this terrible event. I don't know what makes a student walk into a school he attends and just starts killing his fellow students. It just dazzles the mind. Back when I was in school that would be a non existant thought on any students mind. School yard fights with fists settled our disagreements. Not bullets. When we settled our differences 15 minutes later we were friend again. When a bullet takes a life that friendship in for ever gone....JMHO 

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

How does CNN get a reporter to a random place such as this in just a few minutes?

most of the bigger cable news networks have satelite reporters on the payroll that live all over the country that have other jobs but are fairly clse to about everything. The one Network that gets the story first can play it any way they choose even though it will change as the investigation moves forward and the facts begin to come out and the real reporting begins. They are like maggots!!

Looks like no scary ARs involved. Just a shotgun and a .38 revolver belonging to his Dad. So no law short of total confiscation would change this. The people around this kid maybe were not paying enough attention.  

I struggle keeping on top of all my kids do, and I am in IT. I try very hard to call them out on stuff either by grounding them for unacceptable behavior or by talking to them when they are the one getting abused by others. You have to do that so much more nowadays or you can have kids act out in due to the pressures they face. A percentage of that can lead to these horrific events. AND I keep my weapons and ammo secured at all times where they do not have access.

I agree with Bersa that when I went to school I had many a fist fight, but no one involved ever thought getting a gun was the answer. Even though I had a very rough social time in school, I did not want to go kill anyone there. 

Curse the statisticians that point out the seeming rarity of school shootings. It damned well will NOT be of any concern or comfort for the dead kids' families.

As I have said before... under the reign of the BHO regime, I worried mightily if THIS event or THAT event was going to be the last straw that would kick the country into martial law.  Now... just another sick feeling of things crumbling underfoot.

You know, growing up, just outside of Knoxville, we had shotguns and rifles on campus all the time and never one shooting.  Fistfights were common, but then it was settled and no one involved a firearm.  We had our fair share of bullies and those that were picked on and what not, as well, but not one time did we ever have a firearm pulled out and used on campus.  It boggles the mind!

How does one walk into school with a long gun let alone a shotgun?

And yes, when I was in school, many many years ago, I was bullied and had my own guns, never thought once about taking it inside to school.  There were plenty of guns in the parking lot at school as well.

Schools were run differently, I was never whacked in class by a teacher, but it did happen, even in my last year of high school.  Was that right or wrong??  I don't know, but there was discipline and consequences.

I have tried to teach my daughters right from wrong.  My youngest just graduated from college.  I'm very grateful that I was able to send my girls to private school (religious) where there was a lot expected of them as students.  A lot of people can't afford private schools and I get that, but I went to a religious private school as well and my parents did not even graduate from high school, but they were determined that their children were going to.  It's all about priorities. 

Edited by cajunpredfan

Terrible stuff. 

I wonder if some kids have gotten so far removed from physical contact/interaction that the idea of a fist fight is more frightening to them than shooting someone?  

And yes, clearly another utter failure to provide anything resembling security.  Sad times for everyone involved. 

It is easier to point at the tool used then admit the liberals policies over the last few decades have failed rather badly. 

Everyone wins, timeouts, safe spaces, gun free zones, all a bunch of liberal gibberish that failed. Now we have the hard task of taking back our society and schools. That will not be easy or quick. Sad it got this far but there are a lot of folks to blame. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Back when I was in school that would be a non existant thought on any students mind. School yard fights with fists settled our disagreements. Not bullets. When we settled our differences 15 minutes later we were friend again. When a bullet takes a life that friendship in for ever gone....JMHO 

This is the way it was when I was in school also and half the trucks and cars in the parking lot had firearms in them. They were brought into shop class to be worked on. I remember one being raffled off in school. No one would even imagined (I finished in 1974) someone shooting up the school. 

I was talking with a friend who works at the Sate of TN, Dept of Homeland Security.  He said they are looking to deploy some web based software that will allow various folks such as teachers, pastors, etc.... to report troubling behavior so that can try and intervene before a troubled student comes to school with guns blazing. 

I don't know if it will work, but is certainly a better idea than gun control.  

• Like 1
  • Moderators
53 minutes ago, Pete123 said:

I was talking with a friend who works at the Sate of TN, Dept of Homeland Security.  He said they are looking to deploy some web based software that will allow various folks such as teachers, pastors, etc.... to report troubling behavior so that can try and intervene before a troubled student comes to school with guns blazing. 

I don't know if it will work, but is certainly a better idea than gun control.  

It is an interesting idea, but what happens when an anti-gun teacher reports anyone that is pro-gun?

Or liberals report conservatives and vice-versa?

I’m not saying it’s a bad idea, we just need to be careful with that direction. 

• Like 1

I know it is obvious to those of us here, just don't know why it isn't obvious to others. Guns have been part of this country since the beginning. The school shootings and other mass shootings have only been ramping up the last 10-20 years. If anything guns are secured better than they use to be. I didn't know one person growing up that kept guns really locked up, if they were it was a glass front case with a cabinet lock. My Dad's guns (and mine) were in corners and closets. Bullies have always been around, I never felt I needed to shoot anybody because I was bullied and no one else did back then. So if it isn't guns and bullies, we already know that, what has changed.

Make a list.

Violent TV, Movies and Games are a good place to start.

• Authorized Vendor

It's not about guns...it's about control and dependency on the state. To liberals it feels good to declare a college a “gun-free zone.” Does it do good? Of course not. It does the opposite. It informs would-be murderers that no one will shoot them.

Calling for more gun laws enables liberals to feel good about themselves; it makes the Right look bad; and it increases government control over the citizenry.

Calling for more gun laws enables liberals to feel good about themselves; it makes the Right look bad; and it increases government control over the citizenry. A liberal trifecta.

Are federal background checks a good idea? The idea sounds perfectly reasonable. But unless they would have prevented any of the recent mass shootings, they are of no help.

So, then, short of universal confiscation, which is both practically and constitutionally impossible, what will do good? What will reduce gun violence?

One thing that would make incomparably more difference than gun laws in reducing gun violence is more fathers. Why aren’t liberals as passionate about policies that ensure that millions more men father their children as they are about gun laws? Because such thinking is anathema to the Left. The Left works diligently to keep single mothers dependent on the state (and therefore on the Democratic party). And emphasizing a lack of fathers means human behavior is more to blame than guns.

1 hour ago, Grand Torino said:

Are federal background checks a good idea? The idea sounds perfectly reasonable. But unless they would have prevented any of the recent mass shootings, they are of no help.

So, then, short of universal confiscation, which is both practically and constitutionally impossible, what will do good? What will reduce gun violence?

One thing that would make incomparably more difference than gun laws in reducing gun violence is more fathers. Why aren’t liberals as passionate about policies that ensure that millions more men father their children as they are about gun laws? Because such thinking is anathema to the Left. The Left works diligently to keep single mothers dependent on the state (and therefore on the Democratic party). And emphasizing a lack of fathers means human behavior is more to blame than guns.

Exactly. It’s not about gun control it’s about the family and mental health. Although background checks wouldn’t have changed anything in most of the shootings; changes are coming. Most of these shooters committed no crime prior to entering the schools grounds or prior to opening fire when not at a school. As we have seen, many have had either mental health issues or have been reported to the police.

I think the change that we will see in the future will be that violent speech will no longer be protected speech. I also think we will see all arrests for violence or threats become disqualifiers for any firearm purchase or possession.