High Shooting in Texas

21 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I think the change that we will see in the future will be that violent speech will no longer be protected speech. I also think we will see all arrests for violence or threats become disqualifiers for any firearm purchase or possession.

Well... they're way too stupid to just secure the schools. I have said it before. You can't sneak a .380 into an East St. Louis titty bar, but you can shoot up a school with an AR-15. I swear politicians get dumber every day.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Well... they're way too stupid to just secure the schools. I have said it before. You can't sneak a .380 into an East St. Louis titty bar, but you can shoot up a school with an AR-15. I swear politicians get dumber every day.

Agreed. But the liberal (and some conservative) parents don’t want their kids rights infringed on. They are more than willing to refuse the rights of the kids that want to live (That is until their kid has been placed in harms way) by spouting off some Ben Franklin quotes.

This already carries at least life in prison, and the death penalty in many states. So obviously there is nothing they can put in the law as a deterrent. And some refuse to believe that deadly force is the only option to stop a criminal that has made the choice to kill people. They also don’t seem to be able to grasp the FACT that guns, like drugs, will be available no matter what restrictions are put on them.

You must be able to make a criminal unwilling or unable to fire his weapon. At the present time I only know one way to do that.

• Like 1

Has anybody noticed that the media is sort of downplaying this? I mean there are stories about it every couple of days, but its not the 24/7 feeding frenzy of other school shootings. I can only guess its because the shooter did not use an evil black rifle and it really doesn't fit the media's anti-gun agenda. 

On 5/20/2018 at 11:29 PM, Jeb48 said:

I know it is obvious to those of us here, just don't know why it isn't obvious to others. Guns have been part of this country since the beginning. The school shootings and other mass shootings have only been ramping up the last 10-20 years. If anything guns are secured better than they use to be. I didn't know one person growing up that kept guns really locked up, if they were it was a glass front case with a cabinet lock. My Dad's guns (and mine) were in corners and closets. Bullies have always been around, I never felt I needed to shoot anybody because I was bullied and no one else did back then. So if it isn't guns and bullies, we already know that, what has changed.

Make a list.

Violent TV, Movies and Games are a good place to start.

False. School shootings/massacres have been happening since the colonial days. A Google search brought this up as it's first result. This is only school shootings. Mass Shootings have their own page. Ten of the twenty-two deadliest fall outside of your ten to twenty year criteria as well. The list of Rampage Killings (6+) shows that only three of the top ten have happened in the last twenty-one years.

What has changed is the way in which we receive our news, and how it is fed to us. Human beings are the most violent species on the face of the earth. They have been killing one another since the second generation according to some written accounts. Similar atrocities have been occurring as long as humans have inhabited the earth, all written accounts are testimony to that. 

There is not finger to point the blame at. It is not society. Not ancient nor modern. It is the human psyche itself. 

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Grayfox54 said:

Has anybody noticed that the media is sort of downplaying this? I mean there are stories about it every couple of days, but its not the 24/7 feeding frenzy of other school shootings. I can only guess its because the shooter did not use an evil black rifle and it really doesn't fit the media's anti-gun agenda. 

EXACTLY.

Use a .38 wheelgun and an 870 and you get ignored.  The more quickly this shooting is forgotten, the better as far as libs are concerned.  

1 hour ago, Murgatroy said:

False. School shootings/massacres have been happening since the colonial days. A Google search brought this up as it's first result. This is only school shootings. Mass Shootings have their own page. Ten of the twenty-two deadliest fall outside of your ten to twenty year criteria as well. The list of Rampage Killings (6+) shows that only three of the top ten have happened in the last twenty-one years.

What has changed is the way in which we receive our news, and how it is fed to us. Human beings are the most violent species on the face of the earth. They have been killing one another since the second generation according to some written accounts. Similar atrocities have been occurring as long as humans have inhabited the earth, all written accounts are testimony to that. 

There is not finger to point the blame at. It is not society. Not ancient nor modern. It is the human psyche itself. 

You are obviously right about mass killings in general but it does seem like the frequency has increased. That may just be the 24/7 news slots that need to be filled so we hear about everyone of them and for weeks not a day or so.

10 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

You are obviously right about mass killings in general but it does seem like the frequency has increased. That may just be the 24/7 news slots that need to be filled so we hear about everyone of them and for weeks not a day or so.

It's the speed of modern life. 50+ years ago, a large percentage of people would never hear of such events. Most wouldn't hear about it until weeks or months after it happened. Today, millions of people get live coverage while it's happening.  And as you've stated, the talking heads have gotta talk about something. The nightly news used to be an hour a day (4% of the day). Now it's 24/7 (100%). That's quite an increase.  

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

Lets put the blame where it really belongs and that is social media that all these kids hang out on with their cell phones. I guarantee there are social media networks operating under the radar that most kids know about. Maybe many don't spend time on them but there is a certain amount that does and  I'm betting that is where these kids are getting brainwashed into doing this stuff. .............JMHO 

Edited by bersaguy