Veteran ID Card

Most of us don’t carry a copy of our DD-214. There have been a lot of advantages and discounts for Veterans but many require an ID card. Unless you retired from the military or are in the VA system most of us don’t have one. When GM offered a Veterans discount I had to go home and get a copy of my DD-214. Now you can get a Veterans ID card.

I didn’t know about this until my wife told me a lot of her shopping offers veteran’s discounts. So I looked into it.

I don't have mine yet and don't know how long it takes.

https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/02/16/should-you-get-new-veteran-id-card.html

https://www.vets.gov/

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Most of us don’t carry a copy of our DD-214. There have been a lot of advantages and discounts for Veterans but many require an ID card. Unless you retired from the military or are in the VA system most of us don’t have one. When GM offered a Veterans discount I had to go home and get a copy of my DD-214. Now you can get a Veterans ID card.

I didn’t know about this until my wife told me a lot of her shopping offers veteran’s discounts. So I looked into it.

I don't have mine yet and don't know how long it takes.

https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/02/16/should-you-get-new-veteran-id-card.html

https://www.vets.gov/

If you ever visit the VA, they had advertising for these for some time.  As a retiree, I carry my ID card but also have a copy of my VA Ratings letter, I got my lifetime hunting license here with it and TX gives me a free hunting license when I go out there.

Although Im retired from the military and have a retired ID card, I went ahead and got the VA ID card just in case.  It took about 2 month and was free and painless.  You have to upload a picture and your dd214 after filling out the online app.  They will email you status each step of the way.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

Lots of places do discounts/freebie for vets on Veteran's Day. A friend of mine likes to eat completely free that day. I'm not into it that much. 

Same here.  Veterans Day, and especially Memorial Day have always been quiet times of contemplation for me.  The last thing on my mind is scoring a free meal. 

• Like 4