Handgun Carry Question/ Insight

A while ago my dad had bought a handgun for himself while living here in Tennessee, when I got out of bootcamp and got my handgun permit, he gave it to me as a present ( I was 19 at the time also there is no bill of sale/ paper trail because he just gave it to me) he has since moved to Alabama but I have still have and carry that same handgun today. Is that OK? Am I allowed to carry that gun purchased by my dad who was a tn resident at that time but has now moved to Alabama?

9 minutes ago, IdRatherBeFlying said:

A while ago my dad had bought a handgun for himself while living here in Tennessee, when I got out of bootcamp and got my handgun permit, he gave it to me as a present ( I was 19 at the time also there is no bill of sale/ paper trail because he just gave it to me) he has since moved to Alabama but I have still have and carry that same handgun today. Is that OK? Am I allowed to carry that gun purchased by my dad who was a tn resident at that time but has now moved to Alabama?

If you are both residents of the same state it's perfectly fine to give someone a firearm, even if you're under 21. There is no need for a bill of sale or "paper trail". There is also no registration of any kind in TN which is a common misconception. 

The fact that your dad has since moved to another state doesn't matter either. Sounds like you've not broken any laws. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, peejman said:

What they said, sounds fine. Though if you're still under 21, you might expect some questions regarding the HCP. 

while someone ignorant of TN state law may raise a question if under 21, the permit speaks for itself.  No need to explain.  Permitless carry may again cause more questioning, but that is another thread.

3 hours ago, chances R said:

while someone ignorant of TN state law may raise a question if under 21, the permit speaks for itself.  No need to explain.  Permitless carry may again cause more questioning, but that is another thread.

Permitless carry will get you thrown in jail in this state, or at least summoned.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, chances R said:

I would be interested in a specific case.

A case of what?  You cannot carry a handgun on your person in this state without a permit unless maybe you are on your own property. You must be 21 to hold a permit.

The key word here is “carry”.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, Pete123 said:

My understanding is that you can have a gun in your home and car with no carry permit, but you can't conceal carry without one.

You can’t open carry without one either. Tennessee issues a Handgun Carry Permit.  The style of carry is not defined.

• Like 3

A matter of semantics.  One can carry in their vehicle, openly or concealed.  It is often referred to as 'permitless carry'.  That was my reference in the previous post.  You are correct in that TN only has a HCP, either open or concealed is permitted.  The vehicle weapon possession is for only inside the vehicle/boat.  Go in to Weigles to get your coffee without a valid permit and that potentially can bring a charge.

TCA §39-17-1307(e)

You may legally carry or possess a loaded firearm or firearm

ammunition in a motor vehicle or boat without a Handgun Carry Permit in TN so long as:

You are not prohibited from possessing or receiving a firearm under applicable federal or state law

You are lawfully in possession of the motor vehicle/boat

You must be at least 21 to purchase handgun

Keeping in vehicle is an extension of the “Castle Doctrine”

I will add this, from being around and asking a lot of questions to LE, if you are otherwise behaving, and have a clean record, the chances of you getting charged for carrying without a permit is relatively low.  

On 5/25/2018 at 7:00 PM, Garufa said:

Permitless carry will get you thrown in jail in this state, or at least summoned.

My understanding is that the law also states if you end up using a gun in a lawful self defense, even without a carry permit, you won't be charged. You might recall this case.  A convicted felon killed a man that was robbing the Breadbox on Asheville highway in 2015.

http://www.wate.com/news/mother-of-deceased-knoxville-robbery-suspect-believes-killer-should-be-charged_20170818083909951/793002280

Edited by Erik88
6 hours ago, Erik88 said:

My understanding is that the law also states if you end up using a gun in a lawful self defense, even without a carry permit, you won't be charged. You might recall this case.  A convicted felon killed a man that was robbing the Breadbox on Asheville highway in 2015.

http://www.wate.com/news/mother-of-deceased-knoxville-robbery-suspect-believes-killer-should-be-charged_20170818083909951/793002280

Correct, you can't be charged criminally. There is no protection from the inevitable civil suit.  

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:17 PM, chances R said:

also note 18-20yo military personnel may obtain a HCP

Any resident of Tennessee who has reached twenty-one (21) years of age, or is at least eighteen (18) years of age and is an honorably discharged or a retired veteran of the United States Armed Forces, or is a member of the United States Armed Forces on active duty status, and includes with the application a certified copy of the applicant’s certificate of release or discharge from active duty, DD214 or includes with the application a military identification card as proof that the applicant is an active duty member of the military, may apply to the Department of Safety for a handgun permit.

On 5/31/2018 at 12:05 PM, Cauz1982 said:

as a newcomer here, i am very thankful to everyone sharing their valuable insight and advises! been wondering if i may ask some questions as well as I know that restrictions may apply to newcomers. also was wondering if i can PM you? @chances R

Welcome, brother & thanks for your service. Awesome that you took the opportunity to get your HCP already. I have found members here to be very open to PMs. 

In case you're not aware, several firearms manufacturers provide great discounts for military, LE and other first responders. Glock has their Blue Label program and Sig has their Armed Professional Program... you might want to pick up your own P320. (I picked up a 92F during my time in boots)

Look forward to seeing you around.