Pain in The Butt reloading 30-30

Has anybody but me had a problem with cases splitting on once fired 30-30? 9 out of 10 of mine split at the neck the first time I try to reload them. After trying 50 or so cases I gave up. 

You need to anneal the brass to get it soft enough to reload. It can be a PIA but needed if you reload the same case a lot.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=anneal+brass+for+reloading&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwic1o25_KXbAhW-GzQIHVPEC3sQ7xYIJCgA&biw=1138&bih=522&dpr=1.2

Edited by RED333
because I can
  • Like 2

I checked on Red333's annealing suggestion. The cost of the machine would buy a lot of new shells.

greginten The brass is an accumulation from pick-ups to part of a mixed batch I bought. The dies are new Hornady [my favorite]

4 hours ago, Ray Z said:

I checked on Red333's annealing suggestion. The cost of the machine would buy a lot of new shells.

When I anneal I stand the brass in a pan of water, heat them with a torch and knock them over, the water cools them off. The link was more of "how to do",

2 hours ago, Omega said:

No need for expensive setups

Just now, RED333 said:

When I anneal I stand the brass in a pan of water, heat them with a torch and knock them over, the water cools them off. The link was more of "how to do",

I tried that on some ancient 303 Savage brass. I didn't do something right. They were still brittle.

4 hours ago, Ray Z said:

greginten The brass is an accumulation from pick-ups to part of a mixed batch I bought. The dies are new Hornady [my favorite]

Are you certain they are "once fired"?

1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

LOL! Not if the necks start splitting.

Have you ever seen any brass for sale that wasn't listed as "once fired"?

It was listed as "unknown times". No I did not buy it.

• Like 1

i reload lots of 30-30 for nra cla silhouette matches.  so i have seen just about everything a 30-30 brass can do. but i have never split any neck on my brass during reloading or shooting.   most of my brass has 10 plus reloads.  after the last match i have two cases that had a split in the shoulder area.  i trim my brass when needed and once a year i anneal my brass.   i run a inside neck brush with lube on it on all my brass before i resize/deprime them.  then clean in a ss pin cleaner system.  what rifle are you using and what is your load.