Sign in to follow this  
sybo

New blade design!!!

Hope all had a great Memorial Day weekend!!  We are blessed with Freedom!!!

I am so exited about a couple of new designs that I have come up with and wanted to share them with you all.  I’m doing smaller and (in my opinion) more realistically useful styles!! I am also LOVING CPM35VN steel and I cannot hurt this stuff!! Finishes beautifully, edge retention for DAYS!!!!!!! Can I get some constructive criticism on this design. I will be posting another design I’ve come up with later today! 

1/8” steel and I’m thinking Canvas Micarta for a sure grip!!!! Here we go!!

https://imgur.com/a/insFCUB

About CPMS35VN Steel

CPM S35VN was designed to be the perfect blend of stain resistance, toughness, edge stability and edge holding. It is like their earlier CPM S30v but they have re-balanced its elemental make up and added Niobium carbides along with vanadium and chromium carbides for added grain refinement, strength and toughness. CPM S35VN is about 15-20% tougher than S30V without any loss in wear resistance. It is also tougher than most other stainless alloys that are used in knife making. Because both vanadium and niobium carbides are harder and more effective than chromium carbides in providing wear resistance, the CPM stainless blade steels offer improved edge retention over conventional high chromium steels such as 440C and D2.

Edited by sybo
  • Like 2

I like it Brother... It looks more like the old time hunting knives that i used to see as a kid... It's the exact right size i think... Reminds me of the old Case and Western hunting knives that every outdoor kid wanted in the fabulous fifties... I think ya are on to somethin... 

Good luck...

leroy

Yes, I agree with Leroy. Nice work.

I like what you have done.  I prefer knives to be a bit smaller.  Feels more like an extension of my hand.  

I think it's awesome that you are using CPM S35VN, which may well be the best all around stainless steel for knives available today.  

Canvas Micarta sounds great for the scales - just finishing one now with that.  I also want to try the Burlap Micarta on a set of scales.

I like it as well. A lot of knives these days are really wide from spine to edge and I find them difficult to use.  A knife of decent steel is still plenty strong for most tasks at 1/2" - 1" wide. I like the look of the long/skinny profile, looks more like a precision tool. 

Gentlemen, lots of good stuff here!!!! Thank you!

Waiting on heat treat as we speak!!

Might be a dumb question, but what are the  divits drilled into the tang for? I would say weight reduction, but that can't shave off a lot.  Plus, they will be covered by the scales, so I guess not for ornamental design. 

Nice looking blade. 

1 hour ago, Ronald_55 said:

Might be a dumb question, but what are the  divits drilled into the tang for? I would say weight reduction, but that can't shave off a lot.  Plus, they will be covered by the scales, so I guess not for ornamental design. 

Nice looking blade. 

A little weight savings, balance, and a place for the epoxy to grab. 

1 hour ago, peejman said:

A little weight savings, balance, and a place for the epoxy to grab. 

Ah ok. For the epoxy, I have always just rough sanded the spot, but I don't prefer to epoxy with pins. Most of my work has been much cruder than this though. Not much worry about water or anything. 

The scales will only come off with some carefully planned out persuading!!😉