.410 Shotgun Barrel Choke Tubes

I recently obtained a 21" .410 shotgun barrel for my TC Contender G2. It's a factory barrel and came with one "Full Choke" tube installed, inside the barrel. It was checked with a micrometer, and the dimensions match "Full Choke" for a .410. A friend sent me the dimensions for a "Modified" choke and I believe an "Improved Cylinder". Does anyone have a .410 that can verify that there are actually three choke tubes for the .410? Next question... if the other two choke tubes do exist, can anyone tell me where I might buy the other two, to finish out my set? Don't say Thompson Center, as they no longer exist. Thanks for your information and help.

3 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

I hope this helps.

image.png.f87bc81cb34c94df2e04981c948d3cae.png

MP5_Rizzo, thanks for the information on the Briley choke tubes. I am familiar with the Briley chokes, but do not own any. My main concern is twofold. First, would be if the Briley choke threads are compatible with the Thompson Center .410 barrel. The next concern would be if the results in pattern performance would be worth the cost in a .410 barrel. Maybe someone that has a full set of choke tube for their .410 can give me some idea of the difference in pattern the choke tubes make in a .410 bore. I have other gauges: 12, 16, and 20 gauge guns, and know the difference they make in these larger gauge guns, but I am just a little skeptical of their effectiveness in the small bore .410. Maybe I'm wrong... has anyone patterned the three choke tubes ( Cyl, Mod, & Full Choke) in a .410? Thanks again for your reply and the information.

3 minutes ago, Sidewinder said:

MP5_Rizzo, thanks for the information on the Briley choke tubes. I am familiar with the Briley chokes, but do not own any. My main concern is twofold. First, would be if the Briley choke threads are compatible with the Thompson Center .410 barrel. The next concern would be if the results in pattern performance would be worth the cost in a .410 barrel. Maybe someone that has a full set of choke tube for their .410 can give me some idea of the difference in pattern the choke tubes make in a .410 bore. I have other gauges: 12, 16, and 20 gauge guns, and know the difference they make in these larger gauge guns, but I am just a little skeptical of their effectiveness in the small bore .410. Maybe I'm wrong... has anyone patterned the three choke tubes ( Cyl, Mod, & Full Choke) in a .410? Thanks again for your reply and the information.

I posted the Briley choke bore chart for choke restrictions only. If you call Briley They will make choke tubes for anything out there but this may be a little pricey for what you trying to do.  But this goes hand in hand with anything .410 for it's size.  Whether it be factory new ammo or hulls and wads, they  are expensive.

I did a little and I mean very little searching on the web and it seems like choke tubes for dedicated T/C Contender .410 barrels are non-existent.  I did find a couple of references that said Winchester tubes are the same as the T/C Encore tubes but I found nothing that this was 100% positive.

So the key thing about choke tubes is that they control how fast the shot pattern opens up after it leaves the barrel.  Different choke restrictions will pattern differently at a given distance no matter what shotgun gauge you are testing.  The thing about .410's or to be specific, 67 gauge shotguns,  most all are loaded with 1/2 ounce of shot so the pattern density is going to decrease really fast as you open up your choke restriction. 

I hope this helps.

56 minutes ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

I posted the Briley choke bore chart for choke restrictions only. If you call Briley They will make choke tubes for anything out there but this may be a little pricey for what you trying to do.  But this goes hand in hand with anything .410 for it's size.  Whether it be factory new ammo or hulls and wads, they  are expensive.

I did a little and I mean very little searching on the web and it seems like choke tubes for dedicated T/C Contender .410 barrels are non-existent.  I did find a couple of references that said Winchester tubes are the same as the T/C Encore tubes but I found nothing that this was 100% positive.

So the key thing about choke tubes is that they control how fast the shot pattern opens up after it leaves the barrel.  Different choke restrictions will pattern differently at a given distance no matter what shotgun gauge you are testing.  The thing about .410's or to be specific, 67 gauge shotguns,  most all are loaded with 1/2 ounce of shot so the pattern density is going to decrease really fast as you open up your choke restriction. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the follow up post. I have other guns in the .410 bore, but this is the only one that has a choke tube. The choke tube that came in the barrel is full choke. It will shoot the 2 1/2" or 3" shells. With a 3" high brass (heavier load) I'm a little concerned that it might not open up enough and would tear up close game. I agree with you about Briley being "pricey" for custom made choke tubes. Rem-Chokes are reasonably priced, but I'm not sure if they made a set for a .410, or if they would fit my Contender barrel. Thanks again, for your time and help.

23 hours ago, MP5_Rizzo said:

I did one more search and found this.  They list some as T/C Encore compatible.  May be worth contacting for some Q&A.

http://www.colonialchokeandtool.com/

Thanks again, for your help. A poster over on the TC Contender site said Brownells had .410 choke tubes for the Contender .410. I called them and talked to their "tech"  guy. They're listed as Beretta choke tubes, but we think they will fit. The threads are up near the muzzle and the threads are coarser than Rem-choke tubes. I ordered a modified and an improved cylinder tube, even got a discount. $48.93 for the two, shipped. I'd say that is very reasonable. They are Mobilchoke choke tubes. Full refund if they do not fit. I like dealing with Brownells.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2018 at 2:51 PM, Sidewinder said:

Thanks again, for your help. A poster over on the TC Contender site said Brownells had .410 choke tubes for the Contender .410. I called them and talked to their "tech"  guy. They're listed as Beretta choke tubes, but we think they will fit. The threads are up near the muzzle and the threads are coarser than Rem-choke tubes. I ordered a modified and an improved cylinder tube, even got a discount. $48.93 for the two, shipped. I'd say that is very reasonable. They are Mobilchoke choke tubes. Full refund if they do not fit. I like dealing with Brownells.

Update... The Beretta .410 choke tubes I bought from Brownells would not fit. They wouldn't even go in far enough to engage the threads. I have a little over $50 tied up in them, so I may return them to Brownells or just hang onto them to trade or sell to someone that can use them. Is anyone familiar with returns to Brownells? Do they charge a restocking fee? If so, between that and the shipping costs, it might be best for me to keep them and try to trade or sell them myself. I'm still looking for a modified and cylinder choke tube that will fit a .410 Contender shotgun barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I sent the Beretta choke tubes back to Brownells yesterday. The proper choke tubes for my .410 Contender (shotgun 21") barrel are about as elusive as the Savage 24V-D in .22 Hornet/20gauge that I've been looking for seems like forever. I found a Savage 24V-D in .22 Hornet/ .410.. actually, I found two, one in Indiana and one in Pennsylvania. The one in Indiana was pretty nice, but with all the FFL fees, shipping and the price he had on it, made it a non deal for me. The other one had been found in an attic, had rust and was missing the forearm and stock! No .410 choke tubes and no Savage 24V-D .22 Hornet/20gauge... the story of my life!