Taurus Raging Hornet Performance at 100 Yards?

I'm interested in the performance of the Taurus Raging Hornet in 22 Hornet at 100 yards. Also, wondering how it's performance will match up to the TC Contender 10" barrel...as the Raging Hornet is also a 10" barrel. I'm full of questions and this one will open the flood gates! What are all of your "opinions" on the Raging Hornet as a hunting handgun? Would love to hear some hunting stories with the Raging Hornet. Think it will take a coyote at 100 yards with good shot placement? Hand-loading should add to the versatility of the gun, like any other. Appreciate all information on this interesting handgun.

Edited by Sidewinder
  • 2 weeks later...

Hum! No replies. Does anyone on here have a Raging Hornet in .22 Hornet? I so, I'd like to talk to you and compare notes. I've only had mine a coupe of weeks and would like to ask some questions about yours... best ammo for the gun... effective range on various game... cylinder to barrel gap on yours, and other things. If you don't want to post in the general population, feel free to PM me. Thanks.

I don't have one of these but would love to test drive one for a while.  Have always had fun with any 22 Hornet that came my way.  It still has a lot to offer but unfortunately all the media seem to ignore it.

• Like 1

I have no experience with either the .22 Hornet in a handgun, nor the Taurus. My gut feeling for 100 yard shots a minimum caliber should be the .357 Magnum.  The .22 Hornet is a fine cartridge in a rifle, but can't see that tiny pill having enough ummph! at 100 yards.  I have heard of folks having good luck with the ,32-20 at distances, but no experience with that either.

Bob Wright

10 hours ago, Bob Wright said:

A few years ago (well, many) a gun writer was extolling the virtue of the .25 K-Hornet, a blown out and resized .22 Hornet case.  This, I believe, in the Ruger Single Six.

Bob Wright

I've never heard of the .25 K Hornet, but the .22 K Hornet is fairly common. There are reamers to ream the chamber, then they just fire the .22 hornet cartridge through it to "fire form"  the brass case. From then on, it's K Hornet all the way. I believe the K Hornet allows a little more room for powder and gets a couple hundred feet per minute more in velocity.

13 hours ago, stumpy said:

I don't have one of these but would love to test drive one for a while.  Have always had fun with any 22 Hornet that came my way.  It still has a lot to offer but unfortunately all the media seem to ignore it.

I've been intrigued by the caliber and the job it was doing, before the .222 knocked it off of it's high perch. I believe this cartridge has performed quite well in the Taurus Raging Hornet, from some reports I have read.

The "hornet", itself, is an ancient cartridge... The ole 22WCF with smokeless powder added... Very few of the old black powder cartridges of the 1800's survived the transition to the "smokeless era"... The fact that the hornet did is a tribute to it's accuracy and versatility...

The fact of the matter is that when you shoot that hornet, you are shooting the father of the modern, and very useful 222 and 223... The old 222 used to own the benchrest range...

I've shot the hornet in turn bolt guns... The accuracy is superb... The hornet wll shoot as good as you can...

Enjoy it...

leroy...

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

I've never heard of the .25 K Hornet, but the .22 K Hornet is fairly common. There are reamers to ream the chamber, then they just fire the .22 hornet cartridge through it to "fire form"  the brass case. From then on, it's K Hornet all the way. I believe the K Hornet allows a little more room for powder and gets a couple hundred feet per minute more in velocity.

I believe it was gun writer Frank Haas (or de Haas) who extolled the virtues of the .25 K-Hornet.  It was a .22 K-Hornet case opened up to take .25 caliber bullets.  It was a straight walled case.

Bob Wright

I just Googled and found the name listed as "Frank DeHaas."  Old proponent of single shot rifles and handguns.  One favorite was an old Remington Rolling Block pistol chambered for the .401 Special.

Edited by Bob Wright
  • Like 1
On 6/17/2018 at 7:56 AM, leroy said:

The "hornet", itself, is an ancient cartridge... The ole 22WCF with smokeless powder added... Very few of the old black powder cartridges of the 1800's survived the transition to the "smokeless era"... The fact that the hornet did is a tribute to it's accuracy and versatility...

The fact of the matter is that when you shoot that hornet, you are shooting the father of the modern, and very useful 222 and 223... The old 222 used to own the benchrest range...

I've shot the hornet in turn bolt guns... The accuracy is superb... The hornet wll shoot as good as you can...

Enjoy it...

leroy...

Thanks for the reassuring words on the hornet, Leroy. This is not my first Hornet, but "is" my first "Raging Hornet" revolver. I have a bolt in Savage 342 chambered in .22 Hornet, a Springfield M6 Scout with a .22 Hornet barrel over a .410, and both a pistol and rifle length barrels for my TC Contender in .22 Hornet. These "Raging Hornets" are scarcer than hen's teeth and high as a cat's back in price.

Thanks,

Sidewinder

• Like 1
18 hours ago, leroy said:

Side..

I would live ta have a 10 inch Contender Hornet...!  That's where it's at Brother..,

Leroy...

Yep. My Contender pistol barrel is also a 10" octagonal barrel, with pistol scope. Sweet set up. Squirrel nightmare for longer distance head shots.

• Like 1