FBI agent has negligent discharge at nightclub

1 minute ago, Garufa said:

He needs to be looking for a new job tomorrow.  One that does not involve carrying a gun.

No doubt. Something tells me that he'll be getting off a lot easier than one of us average joes. We'd be looking at jail time. I suspect he'll lose his job with no charges.

1 minute ago, Grayfox54 said:

So many mistakes on so many levels, I don't know where to begin. :censored: 

Something tells me alcohol had to have been a factor. I can't imagine a sober person thinking a backflip while armed is a good idea. But yes, so many mistakes from start to finish. 

35 minutes ago, Garufa said:

He needs to be looking for a new job tomorrow.  One that does not involve carrying a gun.

I will be shocked not one bit if his being off-duty negates any agency discipline via union pressure.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

The real takeaway is that one needs to ensure that when they’re ready to get down, their holster is as well. 

Never pull the trigger until you want the gun to go bang is right in there too. :) 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, btq96r said:

I will be shocked not one bit if his being off-duty negates any agency discipline via union pressure.

I’m not sure a fed employee is ever “off duty” when public opinion is involved. I’ve heard of several careers end for much less than shooting someone—presumably Drunk. In a club. After a backflip. 

*(Politicians excluded)*

Doing a back flip with an unsecured weapon isn’t negligent; it is reckless. (No matter who does it) Just goes to show that even when properly trained; some just don’t get it.

A person was shot. I suspect the agent will be charged. The victim will get a big payday. I also doubt his duty status will be a factor.

It doesn’t look to me like it went off when it hit the floor. It looks like it went off when he grabbed it.

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

The real takeaway is that one needs to ensure that when they’re ready to get down, their holster is as well. 

At 64 I’ve had to slow down on the back flips while clubbing, or jumping fences. But when I do; most all of my holsters have thumb breaks and are secured to my belt.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Parrothead said:

I’m not sure a fed employee is ever “off duty” when public opinion is involved. I’ve heard of several careers end for much less than shooting someone—presumably Drunk. In a club. After a backflip. 

*(Politicians excluded)*

1gvt3a.jpg

Edited by Lumber_Jack
1 minute ago, n0rlf said:

Stupid is as stupid does. 

And these are the people running investigations. Wow, it just instills such great confidence. Lol

I was surprised to see that it was an FBI guy. Oh well. Lots of firing and rebuilding left to do.

11 hours ago, DaveTN said:

It doesn’t look to me like it went off when it hit the floor. It looks like it went off when he grabbed it.

Exactly.  It was definitely laying harmlessly on the floor until he grabbed it.

Yet every time the news shows it they say it fired when it hit the floor...because everyone knows that what guns do.

Edit: I stand corrected...ABC News just showed, in slow motion, how it didn't discharge until he grabbed it. 

Edited by i1afli
  • Like 1

Does anyone know what the issue weapon for the Bureau is these days?

Better still, what the policy for off-duty carry is?

What was he doing with a finger in the trigger guard for picking it up, aside from showing any gun safety training went in one ear and out the other?

Wonder what Colorado statue is on injury received from accidental discharge of a firearm?

Edited by SWCUMBERLAND

Well, aren't things just special, from the Secret Service messing around with hookers (and cheating them out of getting paid!),  to the FBI doing backflips in bars.  And the current mess with the Justice Department, and the FBI bungling and/or faking stuff all over the place. 

We need a wholesale housecleaning in federal law investigation and enforcement.  No recusals, no refusals.   These swamps need to be drained and torched.

Why transfer him? He demonstrated he does not make good decisions. 

Fire him and hire someone willing to work. I think all of the federal agencies are over manned. I agree house cleaning is long overdue. 

Pensions are another problem. Stop them now. Pay the ones we are obligated, any new folks can have s 401k like everyone else. 

24 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

Why transfer him? He demonstrated he does not make good decisions. 

Fire him and hire someone willing to work. I think all of the federal agencies are over manned. I agree house cleaning is long overdue. 

Pensions are another problem. Stop them now. Pay the ones we are obligated, any new folks can have s 401k like everyone else. 

I don’t think he will be transferred; I would bet he’s fired. Rightfully so.

The majority of these men and women are professionals. The FBI has very high standards and needs incentives to get the best. Plenty of companies still have pensions; nothing wrong with that.

There are plenty of instances of carry permit holders doing stupid stuff; including murder. Should we all be judged for the actions of a very small group of idiots? Of course not. Same applies for cops and FBI agents.

17 minutes ago, n0rlf said:

Those that demonstrate they can act responsibility need not be judged at all. Those that act stupidly should win stupidly prizes though. 

That’s how it works. As I said I suspect this agent will be judged, and it will be determined he acted recklessly. Will he charged criminally? I don’t know, I can only give my opinion on what I would do if I was the DA.

This was not an accident or negligent; it was reckless. A person was shot. I would charge him criminally.