IKEA Decision

When I heard about this the other day, I thought that metro Nashville had dodged a bullet. No telling how much taxpayer money was involved in this scheme. But it still seems like the plans to widen the interstate interchange may still go through. Not exactly sure why it would need to go to 9 lanes from the current 2. 

Just curious what others thoughts are on this. I'm a resident of Murfreesboro and soon to be Bedford county-Shelbyville so not really a concern for me. 

One of the radio guys on 99.7 seemed really butt hurt that it wasn't happening. 

I don t share the opinion of many that growth is a great thing...Ive been coming to Nashville all my life, being a Tennesseean, and have been living in this area full time since I retired form the military in 93.  It wasnt the same Nashville when I moved to this area  in 93, but it sure was a dang site better than it is now.  I dont see one positive thing all this growth has done for the area.  I see only bad things.  People move here form all over and bring their own ideas and they dont seem to mesh well with many of us, but there numbers seem to rule.  The recent Mayoral race was a case in point.  Almost everyone one I knew didnt like or plan to vote for Briley, yet he won...lowest voter turn out in ages.

Anyway, back to Ikea.  I see no loss here, but that area will continue to grow and our infrastructure sim ply wont support it.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JAlexanderMSgt said:

I don t share the opinion of many that growth is a great thing...Ive been coming to Nashville all my life, being a Tennesseean, and have been living in this area full time since I retired form the military in 93.  It wasnt the same Nashville when I moved to this area  in 93, but it sure was a dang site better than it is now.  I dont see one positive thing all this growth has done for the area.  I see only bad things.  People move here form all over and bring their own ideas and they dont seem to mesh well with many of us, but there numbers seem to rule.  The recent Mayoral race was a case in point.  Almost everyone one I knew didnt like or plan to vote for Briley, yet he won...lowest voter turn out in ages.

Anyway, back to Ikea.  I see no loss here, but that area will continue to grow and our infrastructure sim ply wont support it.  

I can't stand Nashville anymore. I got here a little over 25 years ago. 

I was born and raised in coffee country. Used to go up to Nashville a lot as kids and through high school. Joined the Marines, moved away for 25 years, got back and dang, what a difference. 

Question is what happened to make those changes. You cannot turn on any news on the morning without hearing about another shooting or killing. 

Parts of Knoxville and Memphis are almost write offs now. Antioch is not far behind. 

Glad I do not have to go into town much anymore. I like living in the sticks. 

11 minutes ago, Lumber_Jack said:

I love Nashville, it's a great city.  Yall are just curmudgeons.  Seriously I wouldn't build anything in Antioch or along the I-24 corridor, I think that would be a tactical mistake regardless of the business.  

She done pulled our train. You can have her now. :) 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

She done pulled our train. You can have her now. :) 

meh, I just like poking at those that "hate" big cities.  Nashville has its flaws, of that there is no doubt.  I do like it though, although admittedly doubt we'll stay here long term.  

7 minutes ago, Lumber_Jack said:

meh, I just like poking at those that "hate" big cities.  Nashville has its flaws, of that there is no doubt.  I do like it though, although admittedly doubt we'll stay here long term.  

I've lived in St. Louis and Houston. Nashville isn't all that big IMO. It has just outgrown its infrastructure in a way that won't be fixed in my lifetime. I don't want to spend a huge portion of my life waiting to get where I am going. I HATE traffic, especially when they are all on the damn phone.

Like I said... been here for 25 years. 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, mikegideon said:

I've lived in St. Louis and Houston. Nashville isn't all that big IMO. It has just outgrown its infrastructure in a way that won't be fixed in my lifetime. I don't want to spend a huge portion of my life waiting to get where I am going. I HATE traffic, especially when they are all on the damn phone.

Like I said... been here for 25 years. 

When asked about Murfreesboro I tell people it’s a good place except for the traffic. I think the city figures since they bought these traffic lights they are going to make you stop at every single one of them. The city has outgrown its ability to move traffic; but a lot could be done with light timing. I’m pretty sure they don’t have anyone doing that. :)