S&W .380 EZ

Defender

handled one, haven't shot one.  Very easy to work slide.  Magazine easy to load.  Has spring assist button like the .22mags for easy loading.  Almost identical in size to the .22 compact.  Like the grip safety and thumb safety.  Would imagine it is very light recoil.

I've held one. It's a great gun for people that have trouble racking a slide or have trouble with recoil, I think that is who the gun is aimed at. Otherwise, it's a .380, the size of a 9mm. The gun fills a need, but not really appealing to most shooters.  

I went the .380 route one time, thinking I wanted a pocket pistol. Realized that I can't hit squat with one of those micro .380s, and not very pleasant to shoot. The M&P .380 should be a good shooter, just a little on the light side when it comes to caliber.

• Like 1

Ive got one with the thumb safety and about to get another one for my wife.  I love it!  Its easy to load, rack, point, shoot and it fits my Alien Gear holster for my 2.0 compact 9mm.  I do have arthritis in my hands but it doesnt stop me from racking the slides on all the rest of my pistols.  Long story short, I just really like the gun!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, bduncan1231 said:

Ive got one with the thumb safety and about to get another one for my wife.  I love it!  Its easy to load, rack, point, shoot and it fits my Alien Gear holster for my 2.0 compact 9mm.  I do have arthritis in my hands but it doesnt stop me from racking the slides on all the rest of my pistols.  Long story short, I just really like the gun!

Im think this might be the gun to ease my wife into the sport with.  Took her shooting the other day and the only gun she shot that she liked was a .22, due to the light recoil.  Micro ,380s, 9mms and 45acps she didnt like.  This might be the ticket if felt recoil is light enough for her...

• 2 weeks later...

As others have commented, this pistol was designed to satisfy the needs of a specific group, those being the people with physical limitations of strength, arthritis, lingering effects from injuries, etc.  While several of us would prefer a stronger cartridge in this size frame we have to be considerate to those who cannot control the higher recoil level of 9mm or greater calibers.  Then again there is the muzzle blast issue that can intimidate new and occasional shooters.  I believe S&W has done everything well to accommodate their buying population with "the right tool to get the job done."  Anything built is a compromise, and the 380EZ seems to fill a void that many buyers have felt for a long time.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got one for my wife last week. Like what was said before, ez load, ez racking the slide, ez clear if it jams.

BTW, it jammed on the first shot out of the box, and has eaten everything we put through it after that.

Checked 380 on line. Not so bad with the right ammunition [Hornady Critical Defense]. 12"-14" penetration in ballistic jell, with a pretty nasty wound cavity. It ain't no 45, but she'll carry it.

49 minutes ago, Ray Z said:

Just got one for my wife last week. Like what was said before, ez load, ez racking the slide, ez clear if it jams.

BTW, it jammed on the first shot out of the box, and has eaten everything we put through it after that.

Checked 380 on line. Not so bad with the right ammunition [Hornady Critical Defense]. 12"-14" penetration in ballistic jell, with a pretty nasty wound cavity. It ain't no 45, but she'll carry it.

I just got mine this week for the wife.  Havent been to the range yet, but looking forward to it.  I have high hopes.

Got my 380 EZ w/o thumb safety at Academy for 329.99 plus tax and background.

Great ergonomics, easy to rack the slide, easy to load the magazines and functioned flawlessly with American Eagle.  At this point accuracy won't get you to the finish line at Camp Perry.  That is with a 35 yr old and 63 yr old shooting this thing and both of us can shoot a handgun reasonably well.  But it functions so well, carries so easy and at 7 yrds as long as it is in the pie plate as fast as you can pull the trigger who cares?  However, I am going to keep shooting this with various ammo and after 500 or so rds give an accuracy assessment.  But at save your ass distance it will work.  I am "amped" up to get my wife on this with her basal thumb arthritis.  This will likely be my go to bedside handgun as age strips away strength and ability.  Much easier to shoot than even a steel J-frame with .38 wadcutters.  I wish they made this in .32ACP.

• Like 3
On 7/12/2018 at 8:54 PM, chances R said:

Got enough people complaining about .380.  Would really amp up with the .32.  I really like the .22 compact for the new shooters.  Short step to the .380 when they are ready.

LOL.  I carry a 6.7oz Keltec P32 every day and never feel outgunned in the way I live.  Sometimes I carry a G26 9mm or S&W 340PD .357, but when I really want to feel comfy and safe at home I look at a pair of 12 ga pumps.  Handgun caliber comparative discussions are sort of silly.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, graycrait said:

LOL.  I carry a 6.7oz Keltec P32 every day and never feel outgunned in the way I live.  Sometimes I carry a G26 9mm or S&W 340PD .357, but when I really want to feel comfy and safe at home I look at a pair of 12 ga pumps.  Handgun caliber comparative discussions are sort of silly.

A black Gen 1 P32 is my daily carry as well.  Bought the LCP, just to see if I liked carrying something a little more stopping power.  Kinda the grass is greener thing. 

On 7/12/2018 at 8:47 PM, graycrait said:

But it functions so well, carries so easy and at 7 yrds as long as it is in the pie plate as fast as you can pull the trigger who cares? ... But at save your ass distance it will work.

Great! Isn't that the point, anyway? Not every pistol is designed to be a long range target pistol.

• Like 3