Anthony Bourdain Dead

Probably most here don't even know who he is, but it was quite a sense of loss to me to learn he committed suicide overnight.

Such a seemingly boundless lust for life, it's hard to believe really. Maybe more to the story, or maybe just an insidious depression that finally tipped the seesaw.

- OS

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I read the story today, sad. Seems there is a trend with this, Kate Spade hung her self as well. Depression is a powerful problem.

I am a happy person, I keep stress to a minimum. Good kids and a great wife makes life good.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, RED333 said:

I read the story today, sad. Seems there is a trend with this, Kate Spade hung her self as well.

There is some evidence to suggest that one can lead to others doing the same. It's really tragic. 

Mental health experts say exposure to media coverage of a high-profile suicide, especially coverage which fixates on the gratuitous details of a person's death, can lead to more suicides. It's called "suicide contagion."

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/nation-now/kate-spades-death-and-the-unintentional-consequences-of-suicide-coverage/465-03cf324a-3e0c-4f01-a774-49828a460c3f

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Oh Shoot said:

Probably most here don't even know who he is, but it was quite a sense of loss to me to learn he committed suicide overnight.

Such a seemingly boundless lust for life, it's hard to believe really. Maybe more to the story, or maybe just an insidious depression that finally tipped the seesaw.

- OS

I just lost a long time friend to suicide. Would have never expected it. One of the happiest guys I knew. I reckon when it's time to go, it's time to go. I can certainly understand Robin Williams' motivation.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

From a BBC report...

In the book he wrote candidly about his abuse of drugs, including cocaine, heroin and LSD.

Drug abuse and suicide seem to have a pretty strong correlation with one another, as evidenced by the countless list of celebrities with well-known chemical addictions who have taken their own lives.  Drugs tend to amplify emotions and many of them thin-down a person's apprehensions and prohibitions toward behavioral extremes and risky, sometimes fatal, activities.

While I am not saying that Bourdain was strung out when he allegedly took his own life, I am saying that there is a lot of evidence substantiating the fact that once you chemically uncage certain emotional demons, a person might never be able to successfully put them back in their box and can fall victim to them much later in life.  Even when sober.

It's sad.

If you know someone struggling with depression, help them get help.  They may not want it and may not accept it, but try.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, TGO David said:

While I am not saying that Bourdain was strung out when he allegedly took his own life, but I am saying that there is a lot of evidence substantiating the fact that once you chemically uncage certain emotional demons, a person might never be able to successfully put them back in their box and can fall victim to them much later in life.  Even when sober.

On the flipside, doctors are also using drugs to help treat these issues. Low does of MDMA(Ecstasy) is being used in clinical trials to treat soldiers with PTSD. The active drug in Mushrooms is being used to treat depression. In some cases, only one "trip" was needed to cure depression in patients. 

I guess it boils down to whether or not it's being done in a controlled setting vs someone abusing them. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

In this community, know that if you’re having these thoughts, there are people who will listen and sit with you in that dark  place until we can find some light.  

You can PM me anytime and I’ll pick up the phone - or get in the truck and help you get some help.  

You’re not alone.  

• Like 12
8 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

In this community, know that if you’re having these thoughts, there are people who will listen and sit with you in that dark  place until we can find some light.  

You can PM me anytime and I’ll pick up the phone - or get in the truck and help you get some help.  

You’re not alone.  

I second this. I don't care what you are facing or how we have disagreed or what, I will be there for you.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, MacGyver said:

You’re not alone.  

Well said. And that is what it takes. Those who are willing to give of themselves to help and possibly pull back from the brink those who feel as if they have nothing of themselves left. 

I’ve always enjoyed Bourdain’s show and am truly sorry to hear of this.  He obviously had some demons that got the best of him.

I’m also somewhat impressed with the response and understanding here.  I recall some ugly things being said when Robin Williams offed himself.

Parts Unknown is on Netflix if you're a cord cutter without CNN.  It was slated to come off in about a week, but I think they'll extend that in light of current events.  It's a great show that lets you how Bourdain saw food, as a cultural experience.  Each place he visited for his show, instead of just the ritzy high end places that foodies tend to see as the alpha and omega of dining, he featured hole in the wall restaurants, food trucks, and even a meal in a guests home to show you how we're not too far different from each other, we just have different culinary traditions that are worth exploring. 

As for how quick suicide can come...maybe he was putting on a brave face for a while, but this was the happiness around him less than a week ago on location for his show:

Edited by btq96r
59 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Parts Unknown is on Netflix if you're a cord cutter without CNN.  It was slated to come off in about a week, but I think they'll extend that in light of current events.  It's a great show that lets you how Bourdain saw food, as a cultural experience.  Each place he visited for his show, instead of just the ritzy high end places that foodies tend to see as the alpha and omega of dining, he featured hole in the wall restaurants, food trucks, and even a meal in a guests home to show you how we're not too far different from each other, we just have different culinary traditions that are worth exploring. 

As for how quick suicide can come...maybe he was putting on a brave face for a while, but this was him less than a week ago on location for his show:

https://twitter.com/Bourdain/status/1003274353071546369

Link not working for me.

9 hours ago, Garufa said:

I’ve always enjoyed Bourdain’s show and am truly sorry to hear of this.  He obviously had some demons that got the best of him.

I’m also somewhat impressed with the response and understanding here.  I recall some ugly things being said when Robin Williams offed himself.

To me it's always a very sad thing when someone passes in this way. It goes to show, among other things, that we really don't know what is going on inside of someone, despite what we may see on the outside. I really don't know how many of these scenes I've been called to over the years. I don't even want to know how many. Those scenes haunt. Like others have said here, reach out if you're feeling this way. Reach out to someone who is willing to help, and we are. 

• Moderators
21 hours ago, MacGyver said:

You’re not alone.  

Amen on this. I've lost friends and family to suicide. I still wonder to this day if my dad's death was accidental or intentional.  I will drop everything to try and help someone.  

Like MacGyver said, PM me, email me, ask for or call my cell number. Help is available. 

I have a friend that gave it a good try several months ago. One night he got a bottle of whiskey, sat down on the beach, and woke up later in the hospital with both wrists slit. He still doesn't know why he did it. Pretty smart, happy go lucky guy. Sometimes there are just no signs. 

Regarding Robin Williams, he was brilliant and faced with dementia.  I understand that one. 

I have known several vets that took their own lives. They didn't show many or any signs that they would do something like take their own lives but for some reason in a couple of them I often thought they might and I talked with them about it. They laughed it off and said they would never do anything that stupid and then a week or a month later I get the call. Back years ago I had a few friends that were concerned about me when I lost my oldest son and then my wife which I dearly loved. Friends would ask me litte questions hinting they were concerned. I finally told each of them that I am going to live as long as I can and when I leave this world for the next one it will be when GOD calls me up and not when I decide it's time. I am not a Bible Thumping Christian but I do read it from time to time and when I open it up it seems that I always open it up to a passage in it that I was wanting to read.

I also have another issue with suicide. I happen to love myself to much to consider hurting myself. No I am not vain but I am also not stupid either.

I have given a lot of thought about all the suicides we are hearing about and I know this may be a reach but if anyone ever listens to those pill pushing commercials many on TV many of them has suicide as one of the side effects.  It says if you ever suffer that side effect to call your doctor immediately. How many people can call their doctor and actually get to talk to them right then or do they just sent up an appointment for you to come in to the office. How many never live long enough to make the appointment......JMHO

• Like 1

This being a gun site, albeit one flavored by different political views, I think Tony's views on guns is a great read about how despite his liberal leanings, he saw the decency in gun owners during his travels, and warned others to do the same for the sake of a long term conversation.

http://anthonybourdain.tumblr.com/post/62424540749/guns-and-green-chile

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, btq96r said:

This being a gun site, albeit one flavored by different political views, I think Tony's views on guns is a great read about how despite his liberal leanings, he saw the decency in gun owners during his travels, and warned others to do the same for the sake of a long term conversation.

http://anthonybourdain.tumblr.com/post/62424540749/guns-and-green-chile

I read the entire article from the link and it is a powerful article that raises so many questions and answers so many questons more it was one of the most informative and interesting reads I have had in a long time.

I know some folks may think I am crazy but a leftist with his intelligence that has written an article about guns and people who own them in such a favorable way that made so much sense, It makes me wonder being he lived iin New York if his death was really suicide or a coverup to shut him up. The article went against everything the radical anti 2nd Amendment Anti-Gun groups are for and made total sense!!...............JMHO