Boater dies after sinkhole creates whirlpool on Arkansas river

This is crazy sounding. Thought all the boaters and kayakers would be interested. 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/11/boater-dies-after-sinkhole-creates-whirlpool-on-arkansas-river.amp.html

Boater dies after sinkhole creates whirlpool on Arkansas river
By Frank Miles | Fox News

At least one boater died Saturday after a sinkhole opened on the bed of Spring River in northern Arkansas, creating a whirlpool, according to the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. (Arkansas Game and Fish Commission)
At least one boater has died after a sinkhole developed on the bed of a north Arkansas river, creating a whirlpool.
Arkansas Game and Fish Commission spokesman Trey Reid told The Washington PostMonday that the victim has been identified as Donald Wright, 64, from Searcy, Ark.
Reid told The Post that when the sinkhole opened and formed the whirlpool on Saturday afternoon, boaters were ejected from their boats. Wright, who was in a kayak, paddled toward the whirlpool to try to help them.
The 57-mile-long river, which runs through Arkansas and Missouri, is known for water sports, such as canoeing, kayaking and rafting, and fishing, The Post reported.
AGFC issued a warning Monday for boaters on the Spring River to avoid an area known as Sadler Falls near Dead Man’s Curve, about 150 miles 150 northeast of Little Rock.
The area has been roped off and is marked with buoys.
“The river is still open, but the barricaded area should not be breached,” AGFC officials said, according to Fox 25 Boston.
The commission says engineers will examine the area this week.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

WOW! I've canoed on the Spring River many times and am quite familiar with Sadler Falls. Its put me in the water a bunch of times, but it never tried to suck me under. Terrible tragedy. I guess ya just never know what can happen.  

3 hours ago, luvmyberetta said:

That's horrible! It reminds me of the guy in Florida that was swallowed when a sinkhole opened right under his bed in the middle of the night a few years ago.

I used to work with a family member of that guy. Brother or Brother in law. I thought he was making it up when he took off work until I saw him on the news.