Credit service Intuit shuts down payments on all gun purchases

https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/credit-service-shuts-down-payments-on-all-gun-purchases

Judge Andrew Napolitano on Tuesday told FOX Business Opens a New Window. that credit card processor Intuit Opens a New Window. is within its rights to shut down payments on gun purchases.

A number of businesses were recently interrupted, without warning, after the maker of Quicken, QuickBooks and TurboTax, refused to process orders of gun-related sales, according to the New York Post. The paper also reports that Intuit did not return several requests for comment.

Napolitano said, generally, customers can’t be refused due to race, age, gender or sexual orientation but can be rejected if they dislike their business.

“They can choose their customers, their clients unless that choice is based upon some protected aspects,” Napolitano told Stuart Varney on “Varney & Co. Opens a New Window.

Even though some of the sales didn’t involve firearms, businesses Opens a New Window. were forced to track down customers who they sold the items to because Intuit credited the money back to their accounts, the Post reported.

In Napolitano’s opinion, Intuit made a “terrible business decision.”

“They may very well have interfered with their customers’ businesses by not telling them ahead of time,” he added.

• Haha 1

Yea, and customers can do the same.  But I consider this a losing proposition for them, when people determine that they can deny legally purchased goods and services just because they don't like said services they will vote with their feet.  Today, it may be guns, next, what? Alcohol, cigarettes, political contributions???

• Like 2

I've notified the two places that I do my firearms trade through, and supplied them the pertinent data.

Do these hypocrites have any idea what they have brought down on their own house?

Hope some one clues RHL3 and Miller on this, they are advertisers for Quicken.

More and more do I say that NRA & GOA and all the other majors need to link arms and  enter the banking business so as to insure their prime subscribers have means to trade without having crap like this dump on them.

SWC, glad to not have a CC

Edited by SWCUMBERLAND
26 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

So… businesses that use Intuit software (Quickbooks) had payments from customers kicked back to the customer’s credit card company after a sale had been made?

That does appear to be what the reports are saying.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, peejman said:

So if a gun business is using their software, and has paid a license to do so, did they shut that down too?  With no notice?  In addition to just being bad business, that sounds like a contract violation to me. 

Oh, but Intuit will hide behind 'civil disobedience" or 'social conscience' or some other steaming pile of leftist camouflage crap. And argue the matter before as activist a judge as can be found. I've not a doubt their board of directors are all ready to bail at the least sign of actually having a court order compensation, no matter how small.

2 hours ago, peejman said:

So if a gun business is using their software, and has paid a license to do so, did they shut that down too?  With no notice?  In addition to just being bad business, that sounds like a contract violation to me. 

I wonder the number affected?  Enough to make this a class action lawsuit?  I'd like to see if they are ready to put some $$ behind their decision. 

I’m not up on civil law at all and don’t pretend to be, I also am not sure how they are doing what they are doing. (Are they refunding payment after the order is accepted, or are they refusing the order when it’s placed?)

But it seems to me if an order was accepted and payment made, and then they refunded the payment to the buyer; they would have some liability if there were any problems. But thats just a WAG.

However, the company said it does allow gun purchases with their services.

“The policies apply to payments received by companies in industries that are regulated by federal and state law, such as sales of pharmaceuticals, tobacco sales, pet sales, alcohol sales and firearms and weapons sales,” Intuit said in a blog post. “Our company does NOT prohibit ANY of these regulated industries – including the firearms industry – from using QuickBooks for payment processing.”

Intuit also said many of the transactions from its “bank partners” require customers to be “present to swipe their credit card,” but the company cannot verify a customer was present during online transactions.

My BIL is in the credit card processing business.  When accounts are set up the merchant agrees to a lot of things.  One of the things they agree to is if they are going to do online sales or not because that effects what they are charged.  If they agreed to only do sales where they could physically swipe the credit card and then took online orders, Intuit has the right to cancel those sales.  The credit card business is a clusterf... of rules and regs.  

5 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

My BIL is in the credit card processing business.  When accounts are set up the merchant agrees to a lot of things.  One of the things they agree to is if they are going to do online sales or not because that effects what they are charged.  If they agreed to only do sales where they could physically swipe the credit card and then took online orders, Intuit has the right to cancel those sales.  The credit card business is a clusterf... of rules and regs.  

Yea, I could see if the vendor broke the TOS, but at the same time shouldn't they of notified the vendor there was an issue instead of rejecting the purchases, after the fact?  Once a customer comes out of the store, with a product, it is a PITA to get them back in to pay for what they already consider paid.  I know if I was one of the businesses involved, I would be seriously thinking about not doing any further business with them after this.

9 minutes ago, Omega said:

Yea, I could see if the vendor broke the TOS, but at the same time shouldn't they of notified the vendor there was an issue instead of rejecting the purchases, after the fact?  Once a customer comes out of the store, with a product, it is a PITA to get them back in to pay for what they already consider paid.  I know if I was one of the businesses involved, I would be seriously thinking about not doing any further business with them after this.

They claim the did notify them.

The company also indicated customers were given notice.

“All of our customers agree to these terms when they sign on to use our services. When a customer of ours is unable or unwilling to meet this commitment, we reach out to them directly to explore a solution to the problem or to transition them off of our service,” it said.

Intuit added it is working with the customer to resolve the “inconvenience” the company caused.

3 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

They claim the did notify them.

Ok then, if they indeed notified them then it's on the business to rectify the situation.  I have no heartburn when a company does something like this as long as it doesn't single out the gun industry (or conservatives) while allowing others to skate.

Need more data. If this is some one(s) trying to get over on Intuit, or Intuit simply lying, or what all. I'm not pleased that my chain got so simply jerked on all this.

At best, Intuit is gonna be looked at a lot more warily after this... and other acceptance companies as well.

Mrrph. STILL glad of no CC, and even further so that I bought my guns with cash.

57 minutes ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

I'm not pleased that my chain got so simply jerked on all this.

So a story in the MSM had half (or less) of the whole story and was written to fit a particular narrative.  Those dang CNN reporters got us again .... oh, wait.  🙄

• Like 1