Velvet buck hunt

12 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

I had not heard about this hunt. That is pretty cool. I will be out there sweating as well. 

Thanks for posting. 

I was surprised I hadnt seen a thread on it here already so I was worried people may not have heard about it yet. Figured I’d post as a heads up since planning for opening day comes months and months before the actual day. I hope you get a monster!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Omega said:

Yea, didn't get much advertising, and I get TWRA and TWF emails.  Thanks for the heads up, I wonder if this an extra buck or is it part of the years quota?

I believe it is not a bonus buck and counts towards your limit. That’s actually fine with me since I won’t take a smaller buck just because it’s in velvet. I’m sure there is extra time and money involved with getting a velvet buck shoulder mount processed. If I see either that 12 or the big 8 from last year in velvet and get a chance I will definitely do my best to get one of them on the ground. Either would be my biggest to date and would look like monsters with the velvet still on. I’m really excited and still have to wait till end of August haha

Yea, I'm good either way as I usually take doe since I don't see too many bucks at my place.  I never used a taxidermist, but I've mounted a few antlers, and I did a European mount a few years ago.  A buck in velvet may make an interesting European mount.

21 minutes ago, Omega said:

Yea, I'm good either way as I usually take doe since I don't see too many bucks at my place.  I never used a taxidermist, but I've mounted a few antlers, and I did a European mount a few years ago.  A buck in velvet may make an interesting European mount.

It would definitely look awesome. Not sure I’d want to boil a skull with a velvet rack, may mess up the velvet? I’m not sure if you’d have to do anything to preserve the velvet if doing a Euro Mount either. May do some digging and see what I can come up with. I’ve read that even getting them out of the woods you have to be careful,  it dragging the antlers on the ground, and not dragging by the antlers either since you have no way of knowing how close the velvet is from coming loose. It would sure suck to mess one up in the way out of the woods! 

Edit: Well here’s a video on it

Edited by rugerla1
26 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

The couple of bucks I have seen in velvet have had quite a few ticks on the antlers.

I can definitely see that being very likely. Hell the whole deer will probably have then in late August, good times haha. I’m more worried about getting the meat and head to the freezer than I am anything. Late September is bad enough, but if the arrow hits anywhere but the right spot it could be a risky recovery. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I have a velvet.buck mounted. It was fine in the house, but once mama relegated it to the basement, some sort of bugs have eaten a lot of the velvet off. 

Man I bet that made you sick! Can velvet racks be repaired?

• 1 month later...

Well boys and girls I believe I’ll be passing on the velvet hunt as bad as it pains me to do so. I’ve yet to find a processor that will be open for that weekend. Too many possibilities that could lead to ruining deer meat and/or the velvet rack being damaged while trying to get the deer taken care of. If I had a cooler in the garage I may risk it, but even then I’m worried about how hot it may be and the time it may possibly take to get the harvest back home. I know it sounds pessimistic but i think I’d rather wait until bow opens and not have to worry about it. 

I was really surprised that nobody is open to do processing. I guess because it’s last minute?

I didn’t even think about that. Sometimes I use a processor and sometimes I process my own. 

What I noticed this past weekend is all the foliage where I hunt. Visiability is not going to great. As long as it is not to hot I will probably get out for a little hunting. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

I didn’t even think about that. Sometimes I use a processor and sometimes I process my own. 

What I noticed this past weekend is all the foliage where I hunt. Visiability is not going to great. As long as it is not to hot I will probably get out for a little hunting. 

Yeah I wouldn’t mind doing it myself if it was cooler and my garage was setup for the process. But since it’s not I definitely don’t want to be trying to do it outside or just inside the door of the garage if it’s 95 degrees. I’ve about got myself convinced that it’s okay to miss the velvet opportunity. Since I still have yet to get a buck with a bow, I’d like to make sure I have every advantage for success. I do wish everyone who does go the best of luck and I’ll be rooting for good harvests! I’m just as excited as every year to get out opening day of archery with my Mathews!!

• Like 1

My neighbor was telling me about the velvet hunt Sunday morning, am sure he will go as he processes his own deer. He takes a cooler with him in the early bow season for the better cuts of meat. Haven't hunted deer in 10 or 12 years, so luck to you guys still going.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m working tomorrow so no hunting for me. But I may have changed my mind about not going Saturday. I may go out and unless the perfect opportunity arises, I can still film and enjoy being in the woods. I’ve field dressed many deer but never butchered my own and don’t want to mess it up in hot weather. It’s been stressful thinking about what if this happens, what if that happens, and I am probably over thinking it. I don’t want the meat to spoil and I dang sure don’t want to mess up the velvet. 

• Like 2