Carrying on a charter boat.

I’m planning on taking a deep sea charter in a few weeks. I’ve been on these in the past and always carried my firearm. I didn’t advertise to the captain I was armed and nothing has ever came of it, but I’m wondering about the legalities of this.

We will set sail out of FL, which I know I’m good to go with TN HCP, but what about on the water? We will be going into both state and federal waters.

• Admin Team
10 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Don't shoot any Somalian pirates. That will upset the liberals.

Once upon a time I was sailing in federal waters with my grandfather and a few friends.  The Coast Guard stopped us for an inspection.  

They asked if we had any weapons on board - to which we replied that we had a 12 gauge shotgun directly under the cockpit pulpit.

They advised that we might consider something with some additional range as well - and that they found that stainless wiped down with a liberal coat of Balistol seemed to work well in the saltwater environment.

• Like 3

I’ve been deep sea fishing several times, the first time I went I was unarmed and felt uneasy about it.

We never go out far enough that I think we are resonably safe from Somali pirates, but a lot of stuff could happen out there, if you think about it. It would be pretty easy for somebody to rob you out there without some protection, and all they would have to do is throw you overboard, and drive off, and you are pretty much done for. I’m also sure it’s not unreasonable to assume you could cross paths with some drug traffic.

1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

Once upon a time I was sailing in federal waters with my grandfather and a few friends.  The Coast Guard stopped us for an inspection.  

They asked if we had any weapons on board - to which we replied that we had a 12 gauge shotgun directly under the cockpit pulpit.

They advised that we might consider something with some additional range as well - and that they found that stainless wiped down with a liberal coat of Balistol seemed to work well in the saltwater environment.

A little more range...

IMG_0983a.jpg

• Like 1

For me it's a simple question and answer.  One should have the courtesy to inform the charter of your intentions and see what they say.  If you were on my boat and I found out you were carrying without me knowing you may be swimming home.  I MAY let you carry, but it would be based on some questions I ask to get a feel for what type of person I think you are.  Remember you are a stranger to these people.   Sometimes we need to do the right thing even if we think we won't get the answer we like.  At that point you make your own choice, but I can't believe in general that people don't have more respect for other business and property.  Not directed at you, more at the mentality I hear a lot.

2 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

I don't call ahead and tell the Wal-Mart manager I'll be carrying when I shop in his store and I don't tell my barber I'm carrying when I get a haircut. A charter operator is no different. It's a business operating to the public.

A boat captain has a lot more authority than a barber, because everybody's life is in his hands. I would ask, as Hozzie suggested, and change charter companies if I didn't like the answer. I know... concealed is concealed. That's my normal mode as well.

19 hours ago, m16ty said:

I’m planning on taking a deep sea charter in a few weeks. I’ve been on these in the past and always carried my firearm. I didn’t advertise to the captain I was armed and nothing has ever came of it, but I’m wondering about the legalities of this.

We will set sail out of FL, which I know I’m good to go with TN HCP, but what about on the water? We will be going into both state and federal waters.

There is no state own part of any ocean so once you are on a boat and away from any dock or launch site you are in neutral ocean waters. Once you reach the 12 mile boundary and go beyond that distance you are in International Waters which are somewhat controlled by the UN for what that is worth?? Inside the 12 mile boundary the United States Coast Guard is the law enforcement surrounding any and all coastal territories of the United States. The UN has given the United  States Coast Guard the authority to enforce laws in International Waters in the event they are in persuit of any law breakers that took place in US controlled water and required the Coast Guard to chase their lawbreaker beyond the 12 mile boundary.  Beyond the 12 mile boundaries your pretty much at the control of the boat captain and having the authority to enforce any rule of law on his water craft. If it were me I would check in with the boat owner/operator of the Charter prior to booking the charter to get what he authorizes and what he does not...........JMHO!  You may want to check with other Charter Companies if they do not allow concealed carry and you want to carry...............JMHO 

http://h2oyacht.co/maritime-laws-and-the-possession-of-firearms-on-boats/

Maritime Defense

Carrying various firearms on your boat is strictly illegal, in the same fashion that having various firearms in your car is illegal. Although laws tend to change from state-to-state and country-to-country you can have a basic idea of what the maritime laws are that affect you by knowing what the actual land law of the land is.

As a general rule of thumb, the easiest way to avoid any legal problems with carrying a firearm on board a vessel does not have a firearm on a vessel. Still, some feel safer to have protection, especially if you are a long-distance sailor traveling through international waters where an attack from pirates is probable.

If you are in Florida waters and you have a gun license in Florida, you are good to go. If you cross into International Waters, that very same gun is now illegal to have on your boat.

That and I think the shots made by those Navy Seals at night firing from one moving ship to a much smaller moving vessel ending the lives of 3 of the pirates and saving Captain Roberts also slowed down some of the pirates causing them to think twice about what could happen to them if they just happen to pick the wrong ship to go after................JMHO

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, I carried my Glock 19 along on the trip, in my bag. Don't ask, don't tell was the order of the day. 

It's my understanding that there is a difference in State and Federal waters. FL state waters extend 9 nautical miles from the shore, FL Fish and Wildlife patrol these waters, along with the CG. From what I've read, federal waters go out 200 nautical miles, this would cover a good portion of the gulf. Now I will add that this info is mostly pertaining to fishing rules and regulations, I don't know how many other laws follow these boundaries.