Supreme court ok's internet sales tax

16 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

This is going to kill small online businesses. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/supreme-court-rules-in-internet-sales-tax-case/

Not gonna do e-commerce of any kind any real favors, either.

Fortunately we won't be getting big ol' bills from everyone we ever bought online from, as ex post facto laws are expressly forbidden in the Constitution by Article 1, Section 9, Clause 3 (with respect to federal laws) and Article 1, Section 10 (with respect to state laws).

And it will take the several states a while to tune up the tax law to match.

I suggest our founder review his online offerings, given this change.

Edited by SWCUMBERLAND
3 hours ago, Hozzie said:

On the flip side it will help every local small business trying to compete with the same people.

This. It will give local gun stores a better chance of competing on price when taxes have to be paid.

I seen this coming, specially when many large vendors started collecting taxes.  I'm ok with it, many times shipping, transfer fees, and hazmat pushed me to buy local anyway.  

When Amazon started collecting taxes, I noticed their prices stopped being as competitive, but I still use them due to the convenience and hard to find items.  

To be fair, an untaxed Internet was never going to last forever. It's been a nice run.

My worry is CC processors decentralizing, so that CC transactions using the internet will be assured of crossing whichever state line provides the most taxes, and thus the larger 'compensating' charge.

Ebay and Paypal are gonna be none too happy that they will have to spend some money decentralizing in order to get in on such a racket.

SWC, muttering imprecations at South Dakota's Secretary of State

8 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Can't imagine the mess for the sellers with all the different state rates then county sales taxes and a few cities have their own.

Video killed the radio star.

This will kill sellers as they hire for / pay for the staff or technology for tax collection and remittance.

I wonder how many out of country sellers will happily collect and never remit.

I love that the quote Kennedy put out about why he voted for it had zero to do with what the constitution actually said and only about "current times." In fact, I never see them talk about what the constitution says, it's always about impact with our current society and precedence from former rulings. Can't find any text in the Constitution that explicitly allows the Federal gov a say, or even the states, to charge sales tax on businesses not within their borders. Politicians could sniff out a dollar to tax if it was buried in 5ft of concrete.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
14 hours ago, DaveTN said:

This. It will give local gun stores a better chance of competing on price when taxes have to be paid.

Not really.  The local shops still can't buy in volume like the big retailers, online or otherwise, can.  The reason to support local shops isn't price-point.  We should support them for quality of and variety of services offered.

• Like 3

My AR-7 was bought at a Bass Pro outlet. The staff was knowledgeable, and the onsite ranges were a good deal.

The MP-15/22 and the Heritage Rough Rider were bought at a pawn shop. The prices were good, neither one has given problems, and both were NIB and purchased with an eye toward not needing a gunsmith.

My grandfather: "A fine is a tax on doing poorly. A tax is a fine on doing well." This sulphurous decision by the Supremes exemplifies the latter, although, as I previously stated, I always thought it was more or less inevitable. And as Macville pointed out, politicians are adept at finding monies to tax, and thus keep alive their sources of sustenance, at no cost to themselves.

4 hours ago, TGO David said:

Not really.  The local shops still can't buy in volume like the big retailers, online or otherwise, can.  The reason to support local shops isn't price-point.  We should support them for quality of and variety of services offered.

His point was related to small online businesses, not conglomerates.  Yes, the big guys can buy cheaper, but with taxes things become a lot more fair.   

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

His point was related to small online businesses, not conglomerates.  Yes, the big guys can buy cheaper, but with taxes things become a lot more fair.   

I honestly didn't interpret that from what he said, but you do make a very good point.

My interpretation of the statement was that people buy online because they don't have to pay a 9-10% sales tax on the item like they do at a local store.  9-10% isn't much for items under $50 but after that people start to look at it as being "real money".

Case in point, a $550 Glock handgun purchased locally normally amounts to:

1. Handgun = $550
  2. Tax = $55
  3. TICS = $10
  4. Total = $615

Purchased online it can amount to :

1. Handgun = $500 (lower price from a volume retailer)
  2. Shipping = $20 (worst case, I'd hope)
  3. Transfer Fee = $25
  4. TICS = $10
  5. Total = $555
  6. Savings = $60

Big business will leverage this to their favor, like everything else.  Just like when Walmart closes down a bunch of mom and pop stores when it moves into smaller towns, large online retailers will use their buying power to lower the price of their goods even with the tax.  Walmart has started to take a bite out of Amazon's pie with their online sales, specially with allowing 3rd party vendors access to it.  I think this model will be the thing of the future with smaller online vendors.  Walmart and Amazon take the orders, collect the tax (maybe distribute it??) and the vendor ships it.

IMO, what hurts local shops, is inventory and our insatiable need for immediacy.   I've gone into local shops looking for a certain model of rifle or gun (or other item) but could not find it.  Only once have I had them order it for me, no make that twice.  Other times I keep looking because many times I am undecided and want to see and hold it before I commit.  Best-buy, I read once, had become a display store for other online vendors.  People would go in. look at the products, decide which one they liked and ordered it online.