1965 IH Scout 80 Project Truck

• Moderators

Sooo, @56FordGuy found a 1965 IH Scout 80 that has spent the last 15 years sitting in a rancher’s field up in Wy-gnome-ing. Well, I bought the damn thing. We are in the planning stages right now for what direction the restoration will go, but he will be documenting its progress on his YouTube channel. (I’ll post a link once the first video goes up.)  I’m really excited as I have loved the Scout and wanted one for years. Folks love to go on about the early Bronco, but the Scout came first. 

Here she is as she sits today. 

AycdkRc.jpg

ftgdmdR.jpg

DLMjVC6.jpg

lfHMWOb.jpg

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 9

Very cool. One of the YouTube channels I follow did a Scout restoration recently. It was from the same part of the country.

This is random but be sure to catch their warning about mouse droppings in the vehicle from that area. 

It's actually in part 2 at 1 minute he talks about Henta Virus. Not trying to deter you, just want you and Blake to be aware.

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

Thanks, y’all. Now this won’t be a “showroom ready” restoration nor will it be a Pirate4x4 style crazy project. The Scouts were small but formidable farm trucks, and when she’s done she’s still gonna be that. If I just want to tool around town in my cool looking OG SUV or head down to Lowe’s and get stuff for a project, she’ll handle that. If I want to load her up with a bunch of crap and drive out to the mountain west to go hunt elk, she’ll be down for that as well. 

*On a side note, here is a moment for me to talk about how much I hate seatbelt laws. I like seatbelts. I think they are a great safety device. I always use them and I probably should install them in the Scout, but she didn’t come with them originally and this gives me a chance to give the bird to the .gov by running around without them legally. The stupidity of the law may well prevent me from choosing the safer option. 

1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

*On a side note, here is a moment for me to talk about how much I hate seatbelt laws. I like seatbelts. I think they are a great safety device. I always use them and I probably should install them in the Scout, but she didn’t come with them originally and this gives me a chance to give the bird to the .gov by running around without them legally. The stupidity of the law may well prevent me from choosing the safer option. 

I get what you're saying on hating governmental mandates.  Take the new back up camera requirement on new cars as of May 2018, totally unnecessary requirement.    With that said, I do think the seatbelt requirement was one of the few that makes sense in my mind.     

• Like 1
  • Moderators
Just now, Trekbike said:

I get what you're saying on hating governmental mandates.  Take the new back up camera requirement on new cars as of May 2018, totally unnecessary requirement.    With that said, I do think the seatbelt requirement was one of the few that makes sense in my mind.     

Like I said, I like them, I use them and I will almost certainly install them. It’s just the existence of the law itself that engenders the urge to take the less smart route me do without. 

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, A516 said:

Bought a Scout II new.  It started rusting right after it went out of warranty.  Good running vehicle.  Just quickly turned into a rust bucket.

Yeah, that is a bit of a known problem. 

Bought a used Scout when lived in Va. back in the late 60's, tough old bird. That thing would climb a tree if you had some way for the tires to get a grip on the tree bark.  Had to change the back main seal on it was the only mechanical problem. Floor boards rusted out and had to repair them. Wish I still had it.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
32 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

I am halfheartedly looking for a 1010 Series International.

They’re good looking pickups. It’s a shame that International/Navistar went to hell. They used to make some great stuff. 

7 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

They’re good looking pickups. It’s a shame that International/Navistar went to hell. They used to make some great stuff. 

We had a `72? Stepside when I was a kid. Sissy.  I pulled up on a customer the other day and tried to buy his 1310 off of him point blank. He wasn't having it.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
6 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

The stories of IH going down are something to behold.

I have a friend who owned a dealership when they went belly up.  Their board kept everything pretty secret - and it went down really fast.  

He went from a having thriving farm implements business to bankrupt overnight. 

• Wow 1
18 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

I am halfheartedly looking for a 1010 Series International.

I almost got side-swiped by a nice looking one of those a few hours ago.  The gent driving it felt the need to take his half out of the middle at an inopportune moment. It was a nice looking truck though. 

• Like 1