What are you reading right now?

I'm a historical fiction / plausible alternative history fan, with a lot of other stuff on my shelf.

A good setting is as important to me as a good plot, with a vivid imagination I can transport to Agnicourt, 1632, the Napoleonic Wars to modern day locales.

Series I'm working through:

Eric Flint's 1632

Cromwell's Sharpe adventures

Waiting on Martin to put out the next GOT novel, but having watched past the books, not sure I even care.

Edited by Gotthegoods
  • Like 1

Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen Series. A little light syfy action about a WW1 destroyer transported to what seems to be another world. Sounds goofy I know, but it's actually quite good. Written by a retired naval officer.

• Like 1

Sandstorm by James Rollins. This the first in his Sigma Force series. I actually discovered this series in the middle, have read several of them and now I'm going back to the beginning to see how it all started.

Synopsis: Sigma force is a black ops division of DARPA which investigates threats of a scientific nature. Basically,  its scientists with guns. ;) Rollins is an excellent writer. His science and history are both accurate and sound,  plots plausible  and his style keeps you enthralled. I highly recommend them. :up:

• Like 2
3 hours ago, hipower said:

Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen Series. A little light syfy action about a WW1 destroyer transported to what seems to be another world. Sounds goofy I know, but it's actually quite good. Written by a retired naval officer.

To the last man by Jeff Shaara is quite good for anyone interested in WW1.

Will check this one out next time I'm on the road traveling.

Gone for soldiers is also by Jeff, stand alone Mexican-American War, starring many of your favorites of the Civil War.

• Like 2
39 minutes ago, Gotthegoods said:

To the last man by Jeff Shaara is quite good for anyone interested in WW1.

Will check this one out next time I'm on the road traveling.

Gone for soldiers is also by Jeff, stand alone Mexican-American War, starring many of your favorites of the Civil War.

Ive read his civial war book, his Korean, and WWII series, all excellent books

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

Fess up Raoul, how many times have you read that book?

Read it first in Rolling Stone in 71 I think. I've probably read it or parts of it a dozen times. Always a good beach read. 

Between books right now. Keep meaning to pick up One Second After since I have never read it. I have a bookshelf of books I need to either read of get rid of. Kinda feel bad to pick up more. May just go back and re-read the first book in the Grid Down series while on vacation.

Rereading 299 Days. It is a little too mystical, a fair bit too optomistic, and way too fast a timeline. Maybe if it was 799 Days.    

Fortchner"s DAY OF WRATH  was frightening for its accuracy. Chapter 14 is EXACTLY what BHO was praying for, but never had even a false pretense to do.                                             

• Like 2
Just now, TGO David said:
1 hour ago, Ski said:

The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker

Excellent choice.  Read Left of Bang next if you haven't already.

Thanks!  I already have it on hand.  :-)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

Rereading 299 Days. It is a little too mystical, a fair bit too optomistic, and way too fast a timeline. Maybe if it was 799 Days.    

Fortchner"s DAY OF WRATH  was frightening for its accuracy. Chapter 14 is EXACTLY what BHO was praying for, but never had even a false pretense to do.                                             

One Second After was one of the most chilling books I have ever read. I think it gives such a stark vision of what could actually happen to all of us in such a cataclysmic event. All the visions of post nuclear life are often so far-fetched in writing, that they are almost totally unbelievable.

But the stark reality of people in a day-to-day situation as this novel portrays is far worse, at least to me, than all the zombie and apocalyptic novels I have ever read.

I have yet to read the 2 books that continue the story. Really don't know why, maybe it just affected me so that I don't want to revisit that family.

I have read all manner of books in my life; from history, historical fiction, the alternative history type novels, military fiction, and all sorts of syfy.

For me, the most terrifying stories I have ever read were...first the original Alien novel. It was chilling. Peter Benchley's Jaws. Great book, but now I hate water. MacCarthey'sThe Road was so completely devoid of hope for humanity, that it had it's own brand of...well, not terror, but some darkness so complete that I could not sleep after reading it. I would probably never read it again. And my list would have to include Day of Wrath. 

As SWCUMBERLAND almost said, it is a vision of a ...then possible stark reality that has now become almost a complete truth. Almost, not quite there yet, but the school shootings are coming close.

And of course, the one I started talking about...One Second After.

I apologize for the length, but I seem to have gotten a bit wound up this afternoon.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Shogun by James Clavell.

A great novel! It's been many years since I read it. That's one that deserves a re-read.

I'll have to see if I still have a copy. If not, I might just go searching on Amazon. lol

34 minutes ago, hipower said:

One Second After was one of the most chilling books I have ever read. I think it gives such a stark vision of what could actually happen to all of us in such a cataclysmic event. All the visions of post nuclear life are often so far-fetched in writing, that they are almost totally unbelievable.

But the stark reality of people in a day-to-day situation as this novel portrays is far worse, at least to me, than all the zombie and apocalyptic novels I have ever read.

I have yet to read the 2 books that continue the story. Really don't know why, maybe it just affected me so that I don't want to revisit that family.

I have read all manner of books in my life; from history, historical fiction, the alternative history type novels, military fiction, and all sorts of syfy.

For me, the most terrifying stories I have ever read were...first the original Alien novel. It was chilling. Peter Benchley's Jaws. Great book, but now I hate water. MacCarthey'sThe Road was so completely devoid of hope for humanity, that it had it's own brand of...well, not terror, but some darkness so complete that I could not sleep after reading it. I would probably never read it again. And my list would have to include Day of Wrath. 

As SWCUMBERLAND almost said, it is a vision of a ...then possible stark reality that has now become almost a complete truth. Almost, not quite there yet, but the school shootings are coming close.

And of course, the one I started talking about...One Second After.

I apologize for the length, but I seem to have gotten a bit wound up this afternoon.

Agree with you about One Second After.  You know,the author,  Forstchen was oir maybe still is a consultant to the Federal govt on EMP...I read all 3 of those, but the first was by far the best.  He also co-wrote a revolutionary war trilogy with Newt Gingrich that was also very good, all three of them.

Right now, I'm reading "Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine," by Spence and Pat Wolf. On deck is "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West,"  by Mike Venturino. I'm looking to get the best out of my .45-70s (Trapdoors, 1885 Highwalls, and Pedersoli Rolling Block.) Ed