What are you reading right now?

2 hours ago, JAlexanderMSgt said:

Agree with you about One Second After.  You know,the author,  Forstchen was oir maybe still is a consultant to the Federal govt on EMP...I read all 3 of those, but the first was by far the best.  He also co-wrote a revolutionary war trilogy with Newt Gingrich that was also very good, all three of them.

Yes, the trilogy with Gingrich is on my "get to" reading list.

If you liked One Second After, try reading Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank.  Its an older book written at the height of the Cold War back in 1959 about a small town in Florida which happened to be in the right place to survive a nuclear war. An interesting look at ordinary people trying to get by when the rest of the world has gone up in flames. Excellent read. :up:

• Like 4
18 hours ago, RedlegEd said:

Right now, I'm reading "Loading Cartridges for the Original .45-70 Springfield Rifle and Carbine," by Spence and Pat Wolf. On deck is "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West,"  by Mike Venturino. I'm looking to get the best out of my .45-70s (Trapdoors, 1885 Highwalls, and Pedersoli Rolling Block.) Ed

In Hombrecito's Search and Hombrecito's War, the .45-70 is the main characters rifle of choice

3 hours ago, SWCUMBERLAND said:

I'll be severally damned... I remember hearing about those when I was young. Last count that I have, there were six. Wonder if I should be searching the 'bay for a set before they start taxing it?

My local library has up to 8 or 9 I think? I heard the quality waned as they got higher, but so far they're very interesting to read.

I sorta wish some of these old folks were still around, would love to learn some of their crafts and trades.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/22/2018 at 10:29 AM, Gotthegoods said:

I'm a historical fiction / plausible alternative history fan, with a lot of other stuff on my shelf.

A good setting is as important to me as a good plot, with a vivid imagination I can transport to Agnicourt, 1632, the Napoleonic Wars to modern day locales.

Series I'm working through:

Eric Flint's 1632

Cromwell's Sharpe adventures

Waiting on Martin to put out the next GOT novel, but having watched past the books, not sure I even care.

Love Cromwell!!!  I think I have read just about all his books, but the Starbuck series about the American Civil War.  Just could not get into it.  But I read the entire Sharps series in a single summer about 5 years ago!  I also love the Saxon Series and the Grail Series.

You should check out The Mongoliad Series by Neal Stephenson and Erick Bear.  It's set in the year 1242 in Poland, Rome and Mongolia.  Great read.  They went on to start the Foreworld Saga.  It's loosely tied in with the Mongoliad Series, but it goes back in forth throughout the history of Western Civilization.  Some are short stories and some are actual books.  But all are are historical novels about events that actually happened. They are written by several different authors.  I've really enjoyed them so far!

I've also been reading a couple of Sci/Fi series.  One by Mark Kloos called the Frontline Series.  And another series by Scott Bartlett called the Ixan Prophecies Trilogy.   Both are great reads.

Currently, I am reading Don Miguel Ruiz Jr.'s Mastery Of Self.  And I intend on re-reading The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz Sr.

2 minutes ago, Moped said:

Love Cromwell!!!  I think I have read just about all his books, but the Starbuck series about the American Civil War.  Just could not get into it.  But I read the entire Sharps series in a single summer about 5 years ago!  I also love the Saxon Series and the Grail Series.

Thanks for the heads up on the Starbuck series. 

On my last trip out, I picked up Brian Kilmeade's Washington's Secret Six as I binge watched TURN on Netflix.