Attention Motorcycle Enthusiasts

No, not those who blindly worship at the altar of whatever their chosen brand is and sneers at everyone else. I mean motorcycle enthusiasts. The enthusiasts will know what I mean.

I haven't seen a thread on this in quite a while, and I'm making preparations to get back into riding late this year or early next. I have some very important reasons: I love it and I miss it. :)

I have owned bikes off and on throughout my life, from sport bikes to cruisers, as well as trying out other people's machines. Needless to say, that ride on a Hyabusa was, well, NO! My last two were a Yamaha Vstar 1100 and a Yamaha Road Star 1700, so I'll be skipping Yamaha this time.

This one will be used as somewhat daily transportation, plus the occasional road trip. I'm looking at buying one of the Harley models since that's one brand I've skipped over all these years and I've wanted one for a good while. I'll be looking at older models of course, since the wife wants a new car first and I'll have to keep this cost down.

I was offered a good deal on a nice 2002 Deuce the other day, but I'm not prepared yet. 

People do trips on every kind of scooter imaginable, so I'm just wanting to hear from folks who still enjoy riding as to what their preferences are in a good all around bike. Something you would enjoy riding on a daily basis, plus be able to hop on it and take a nice road trip. 

I have a heavily modified stock powerplant Sportster of recent iteration. It is a great bike. I went style over substance and it sucks for more than an hour in the saddle. A proper seat and I would change my opinion. I personally prefer the light weight, nimbleness and narrow width of a Sporty. I ride it like I stole it.

20170610_021102.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

I haven't really wanted a Sportster because I've been wanting more room, especially for two-up. BUT, even though my wife loved to go on rides, I"m not sure that she is going to ride any more. I know the Sportster engine has a very good reputation, and they handle better. So a souped up 1200 won't be out of the question if I can make it comfortable (I'm the type that likes to get on the bike in the morning and stay on it the whole day), but retain that old-school rat rod look just like you have there. That's a good looking machine.

Edited by res308
7 hours ago, res308 said:

By the way, what all have you done to the engine? If you don't mind me asking. 

Stage 1. Intake, pipes and tune. It is a `16 Iron. I wanted blacked out engine, and it only came in the 883 back then. They have a 1200 Iron now, which oddly enough looks very similar to my bike from the factory. I am 6' tall with a regular build. I installed forward controls to have more room. I was after a look so I have an itty bitty seat that looks pretty. Any more than an hour straight in the saddle and I have to stop for a bit. That works well with the little tank. 3.3g at ~50MPG, fill up every 100 miles and take a walk. I don't regret the seat, but if I were to start doing sun up to sun down rides, I would definitely rethink it. The hard part is the seat is a big part of the look of the bike, and a big part of the comfort. I like to drive the backroads, and overall this bike is a blast. It might not cruise like a touring bike, or rip like a sport bike, but does everything adequately.  

It is also worth noting that I wanted a Sportster. Not a Dyna, not a Softail, not a Shadow, not a Bolt, not a Ninja. I wanted a Sportster. The engine is bulletproof and the aftermarket is very ample.

I have an Ultra TourGlide, it’s the best highway bike ever made. But I would not recommend it for someone wanting to ride around town; it’s a beast. I’m not making that many trips anymore and have kicked around the idea of trading it for a Heritage Softail. The reason I say the Heritage is because unlike the regular Softail it has the big (wide) front tire.  That makes a big difference out on the road. It is lower, and handles well around town, plus can do well on a long trip.

On a different note I’m in the process of refurbishing (I wouldn’t exactly call it a restoration) a 1976 Kawasaki KZ900 I owned many years ago, and just got a call from a friend about a 1975 Kawasaki 900 Z1. That was my first Super Bike, but it was stolen.

I don’t ride nearly as much as I did when I was up North. Seems like it’s always 40 or 90 here. I had much better riding weather up there.

I don't ride anymore, sometimes I would like another one but the "real" desire to ride is not present so I move on.  I had some Suzuki 1400 and 1500"s, (2 of each), and I preferred the 1400 for it's power to weight ratio, had forward controls and Corbin seat for the comfort.  I rode it alot and regret selling it every time I think about that 1400. 

A Gold Wing is a great bike for all day rides on wide open roads, not the twisty curvy roads I enjoy more.  More a cross country bike IMO, but to each their own.  I rode the GW from PCB, FL to E TN in one day on the interstate, was a pretty easy ride.

I bought a new HD Road King, and did a stage 2 kit on the motor before I ever rode it, and what a bike.  A good size for day trips and comfy enough (big enough) for longer trips, and two up riding.  They are on the heavy side at around 800#, but comfy.  Rode it to bike week a couple times, trailered it some as well.  I pulled a Bushtec trailer with it as well.  If I were to get serious about riding again, I would get a HD Road Glide with the "snarky" front end, just like the look.  GL in your search.

On 6/22/2018 at 4:42 PM, res308 said:

People do trips on every kind of scooter imaginable, so I'm just wanting to hear from folks who still enjoy riding as to what their preferences are in a good all around bike. Something you would enjoy riding on a daily basis, plus be able to hop on it and take a nice road trip. 

Lots of options....   The new, slightly downsized Goldwing is really nice. A bit sportier than the behemoth it had become.  The Triumph Tiger 800 is even more toward the sporty end. The Africa Twin is nice. The Versys or V-strom in either size are also very capable. Can't really go wrong with one of the KTM's either.  Find a demo day or 3 and try a few on for size. 

I wish I had attended a motorcycle show (like Biketoberfest,) and ridden a bunch of different bikes, before buying my 96c.i. Dyna.  But, I'm happy enough with it.  The stock bike has the same power to weight ratio as the stock HD 1200 custom, but it can accommodate much more power in mods.  And, it is  better on the superslab (I had a 1200c for a few years.)  Wish I could afford a sport touring, a Buell, Hyabusa, Versys and every other bike that I have tried and seen videos of.  Most of the comfort will come from suspension and seating.  You may get a really good deal on an old Victory.  Parts will be around for another 8 years.  The bike is a little longer than the HD Dyna, which makes it even better on the open road, if a little more difficult in parking lots.  Good luck, and Happy Trails.

I'm a motorcycle nut of sorts. I've also had the Harley bug since early on. There is nothing like a harley with the low end torque, antiquated design (which makes it reliable and simple to work on). I'm a mechanic and I prefer to not wrench if I don't need to. Harley offers that with the lack of valve adjustments. 

I have had many bikes and currently have 3. 2 HD's and a KLR.

the touring Harley's are heavy but nimble as can be, just look up a police riding competition. 

I am glad Indian is making a mark because Harley needed competition. They have neglected the customer for decades. With that said, I wouldn't reccomend a twin cam due to inherant design flaws. I've got an 07 Street Glide and it has more problems by design than my AMF timeframe 1981 FXS. I still have it and will keep it as it is an outstanding OTR bike. 

The Evos had some issues but we're easily solved and were then pretty much bullet proof. The new motors look good and only thing I've heard bad about them was the occasional oil pump issue. 

The sportster engine is absolutely the finest harley engine to date. But it's a sportster. It's sporty, not for touring. I had one and wanted to tour. But at this point, I want to do more dual sport/fire road riding so I'm gonna get another one and make it fit my needs. The dealer network for Harley is unmatched too. A big plus when you are traveling. 

The Vstrom and Versys are exceptional bikes and can handle road trips well. The KLR is fun but the import bikes have such a high rpm range, they find ways to make you tingly.

Do lots of research, there are forums for probably every bike out there and get the real world feedback. While there are many outstanding bikes, homework is what kept me from getting several including Ducati, the Africa Twin and the round the world capable and my dream bike, the BMW 1200 GS. 

To add, I have read ride reports from people riding everything from a scooter, KLR to the biggest road bikes around the world. 

Tennessee offers some of the best riding roads in the country, lots to see and don't rule out something that can handle a dirt road. There aren't as many distracted drivers and tourists there :) 

This has been an interesting read for me so far. Ugly, I agree with you on the dream bike. The BMW GS has been a dream for me for a long time, because something like that would really fit my personality. To me, to be able to have a machine capable of being on a long road trip and suddenly deciding to venture off into a somewhat wilderness area would be just perfect. Something capable of doing everything I want to do. BUT, I've always heard nothing but bad service stories about people having to deal with the BMW dealership service if they have a problem. Maybe some negative things about the BMW reliability. I'm not sure if that's all true or not. Otherwise, that GS would be the perfect platform. The thought of having a much more versatile platform than just a dedicated cruiser or touring machine really appeals to me. I know the "adventure bike" platform seems to be pretty popular.

I'm also curious as to what you found out about the Africa Twin. 

I agree on doing the advance homework too. I have several months of planning ahead of me anyhow. 

Are you saying that you're looking at getting another Sporty and converting it into a dual sport? I've been watching some very interesting videos on that subject right there and seeing some pretty good results.

By the way, when you spoke of inherent problems in the twin cam, are you referring to the 88, or the 96, or both?

Edited by res308

The major flaw besides the dealer with the GS is the final drive. 05 and later were redesigned and owners report that when, not if, they have catastrophic failure. It could happen within 10k, or 100k. It will fail and usually has some other issues such as leaks/wear/grinding before a complete failure. If you're on the road, good luck finding a close dealer. And the repair is big $ and will take a bit of time to complete. No complaints of 04 and earlier. 

One of the issues with the AT is the front end. The finish wears off the forks. The forks seem too small for that bike Inmo. The company has been slow to remedy and stand by the product. (I've had that experience with Honda and the shadow model). The bike is great in concept but needs some refinement Inmo. The auto trans also have some issues. I quit following as other complaints piled up and he fork thing is a deal breaker for me. 

I've been looking for a few years now that I wrote off the GS for something that will let me travel both slow roads and  let me tour the paths less traveled. I've ridden across country as well as up and down both coasts. Reliability is key as well as dealer network if needed. The sportster reliability, size and substantial power is gonna make a great foundation for what I'm looking for. But I'm at a point where I want to ride some of the Trans America Trail which is nearly all off road. 

I also don't like to cruise the interstate anymore. Don't get me wrong, Harley touring bikes own the highway, I'm just slowing down to see the scenery a little closer. 

The Twin cams have a few issues, I'm actually a shareholder so I hate to badmouth the MoCo but they burned me on this one and I'm a do unto others kinda guy. The 88s have cam chain tensioner issues as well as a possibility of a twisted crank (all twin cams are susceptible to this) it happened to me on my 96". The flywheels are pressed together as opposed to bolted and can slip. The 96 also has a high heat issue due to EPA compliance. the 2007 year model also has an undersized compensating sprocket, ask me how I know. Several other key items can be problematic but one never mentioned is when you need to change your final drive belt. You will need to remove your primary, swing arm and rear end. Not doing this on the side of the road. For the touring bikes at least. 

I must add that the twin cam isn't absolutely horrible, a crap load are on the road. It can however, have some big dollar fixes needed thought. 

Edited by Ugly
23 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

I have a heavily modified stock powerplant Sportster of recent iteration. It is a great bike. I went style over substance and it sucks for more than an hour in the saddle. A proper seat and I would change my opinion. I personally prefer the light weight, nimbleness and narrow width of a Sporty. I ride it like I stole it.

20170610_021102.jpg

Great looking ride man!

• Like 1
  • Administrator
On 6/22/2018 at 11:21 PM, Murgatroy said:

20170610_021102.jpg

I'm not much of a motorcycle guy, primarily because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I'd kill myself within an hour on one, but...

Damn that's a sexy machine!   THAT is a motorcycle I would love to have in my garage.

• Like 1
Just now, TGO David said:

I'm not much of a motorcycle guy, primarily because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I'd kill myself within an hour on one, but...

Damn that's a sexy machine!   THAT is a motorcycle I would love to have in my garage.

For my personal taste, the fact that it has just a few semi-shiny bits and it's not completely slathered in chrome really appeals to the old school in me. 

• Like 2

Chrome won't get you home!

Over the years, as corrosion would show up on various parts of my shovelhead, I would paint them black. Since then it's pretty much become black on black. 

Now it's the style. Next rebuild its gonna get painted blue :)

50 minutes ago, Ugly said:

Chrome won't get you home!

Over the years, as corrosion would show up on various parts of my shovelhead, I would paint them black. Since then it's pretty much become black on black. 

Now it's the style. Next rebuild its gonna get painted blue :)

I want to paint it black?

The scraping causes some corrosion. 

Black looks great Inmo, my bike was blue when I bought it and I was never a fan of blue. I painted it black about 20 years ago, time for a change. Might add flames finally too. 

The dragon isn't too far from me, I haven't been there yet though. 

21 minutes ago, Ugly said:

The scraping causes some corrosion. 

Black looks great Inmo, my bike was blue when I bought it and I was never a fan of blue. I painted it black about 20 years ago, time for a change. Might add flames finally too. 

The dragon isn't too far from me, I haven't been there yet though. 

I grew up on the Dragon. I was raised in Tellico, the other side of the Cherohala Skyway. I have hosted a meet there for nearly 20 years. As for scraping and corrosion, I have learned after decades of turning wrenches, everything needs replaced eventually.

When I retired in 2013, I always wanted a BMW and settled for this 2003 F650GS. Iv had my bike drivers License since 75 and key in on at least one important aspect of riding. As any one who races dirt or street would tell you, weight is an important factor in the agility of a bike. So iv never gotten into anything bigger than an old 750 Honda. I scored this 650 with 4K miles for slightly more than 4K.  Anything I ever need to do on it is on F650.com. Its about 425 lbs dry, 4.2 gal's under the seat, ABS, heated grips, fuel injected 50HP and solid 75 mpg holding it to general road speed limits. I put these bikes at 75/25 road to dirt. Not a good dirt bike due to a tall first gear and undersized siphon type radiator. They really should have put a 6 speed in these old 650's. Iv done a bunch of upgrade mods and only my not so good back keeps the hours off the bike. But what a great short hop scooter, perfect for a one dayer park picknic with the ol'lady. My 5 year old grandson loves the 1/3rd mile long drive way I have to boot!

P0GFXhK.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Murgatroy said:

I grew up on the Dragon. I was raised in Tellico, the other side of the Cherohala Skyway. I have hosted a meet there for nearly 20 years. As for scraping and corrosion, I have learned after decades of turning wrenches, everything needs replaced eventually.

That is some of the best riding the U.S. Has to offer, I see why you come back every year. I've been avoiding the dragon because of tourists for one reason, but mostly because everywhere around here is great riding.

you can paint it black for a number of years before you've got to replace it, haha

1 hour ago, xtriggerman said:

When I retired in 2013, I always wanted a BMW and settled for this 2003 F650GS. Iv had my bike drivers License since 75 and key in on at least one important aspect of riding. As any one who races dirt or street would tell you, weight is an important factor in the agility of a bike. So iv never gotten into anything bigger than an old 750 Honda. I scored this 650 with 4K miles for slightly more than 4K.  Anything I ever need to do on it is on F650.com. Its about 425 lbs dry, 4.2 gal's under the seat, ABS, heated grips, fuel injected 50HP and solid 75 mpg holding it to general road speed limits. I put these bikes at 75/25 road to dirt. Not a good dirt bike due to a tall first gear and undersized siphon type radiator. They really should have put a 6 speed in these old 650's. Iv done a bunch of upgrade mods and only my not so good back keeps the hours off the bike. But what a great short hop scooter, perfect for a one dayer park picknic with the ol'lady. My 5 year old grandson loves the 1/3rd mile long drive way I have to boot!

P0GFXhK.jpg

Great choice in thumper! It looks good too, I had an 01 and loved it. Except mine was baby blue and I didn't like that so much. The best I got was 71mpg but how can anyone complain about that. It is an exceptional bike, the only reason I parted with it was to thin the herd.  The website is incredible too. It looks like your grandson will be able to take it down the driveway in a couple years himself. 

• Like 1