New Colt Cobra

Was over at SIA today and got to handle one.

First impression; hefty like my SP, with a pretty sizable grip.

The surface didn't feel particularly smooth and the sharp edges, especially on the trigger guard was not inspiring.

After being disappointed in the finish, I simply set it back down without dry firing.

I would have bought one of their used SPs for $499 vs. $799 (I think) for the Colt.

Side note; they have 2 new MP40 9mm in stock $599. Seemed to be well assembled extremely large pistol. Don't need a $600 novelty gun, but it would complement my PPS 43c.

Now I'm thinking about layaway...

• Like 1

I know a couple of people who have fired the new Cobra and say they work well.  But everyone I've talked to has remarked about the poor quality finish.  I know Colt can't afford to finish them like the Cobras of the 1970s, but for the money they are charging its inexcusable for the guns to look like they do.  

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 1

I've looked long and hard at the new Cobra. My first legal carry gun was a 3rd Issue Detective Special and I love it. However, now days its worth too much for EDC. :rolleyes:

The new Cobra is a nice gun. Feels good in the hand and the triggers on the ones I've seen are nice. But frankly I was put off by the rough stainless finish, the grips and that fiber optic front sight. It just don't look right. 

I'm waiting to get a look at the Night Cobra with the black finish and a different front sight. That one I just might buy. ;)

Just now, Grayfox54 said:

I've looked long and hard at the new Cobra. My first legal carry gun was a 3rd Issue Detective Special and I love it. However, now days its worth too much for EDC. :rolleyes:

Dare we ask what your first illegal carry gun was....😋

I kept saying I was going to buy a new Cobra, but the price put me off.  I could have had one new for less than $700 OTD; either through GT Distributors or a couple of online vendors.  I walked into GT’s to find a used one for $550 with a $65 Desantis Holster.  I bit, and now own lightly used Cobra.

I have put about 300 rounds through it and I love it.  It has a better trigger than my vintage Colt D frame and outshoots it.  I am glad I found one for basically $150 less than a new one.  Now it wears vintage Herretts Shooting Stars. 31EB992B-D422-421A-B697-61CB07D63D33_zps

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Dare we ask what your first illegal carry gun was....😋

I don't rightly remember. There were several. Mind you in those days I was working night shift in a bad neighborhood. Hearing gun shots while you worked was a common occurrence.  :eek: