Boat dealer recommendation

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, gregintenn said:

I am contemplating buying a new aluminum fishing boat. Where would you start your search?

Send me a PM and tell me what kind of boat your looking for and I will hook you up or call me at 615-568-5229.

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1

That's just it, Doug. I'd like to go somewhere where I can look at a decent selection. I do think I want a 16'-18' with a 60-75 hp 4 stroke motor. I'd prefer a Honda motor I think, but am open to other brands. I'd also like some enclosed storage and rod locker, as the one I have no is pretty much open.

https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=4307

Something like this may be close to what I'd like. ON the internet, tracker boats seem to get a bad rap for whatever reason.  I'm not brand loyal, and do not know that much about boats in general.

I think Tracker gets knocked like entry Bayliner models in the recreation side.

I think using them as a base line will help compare other stuff at similar price points. Is thicker aluminum / precision welding critical, motor brand / size, etc.

We exited recreational boating about 5 years ago, if I did it again, I would definitely under need / want / desire balanced against usage.

• Like 1

I had a Honda 90 hp on a pontoon boat for 10 years over 1000 hours. I now have a Yamaha 115 hp on another pontoon. Honda set the standard for four strokes years ago but I believe Yamaha is just as good. Mercury and Suzuki have a good reputation too.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gary_boom said:

I had a Honda 90 hp on a pontoon boat for 10 years over 1000 hours. I now have a Yamaha 115 hp on another pontoon. Honda set the standard for four strokes years ago but I believe Yamaha is just as good. Mercury and Suzuki have a good reputation too.

We started with a pontoon with 90 Johnson. Great boat, but I kept it in the water. Trailering was not even considered.

Wish I still had it, but just had to have a bigger boat...

• Admin Team

I've always wanted a Honda four-stroke.  In little engines - think 2, 5, and 10 hp, they're the bee's knees.  That said, I've got a saltwater series Yamaha F115 on my center console, and it has been a strong engine for 10 years, doing everything I've ever asked of it.

I spend a lot of time in saltwater.  So, my maintenance is probably overkill for someone who only sees freshwater.  But, change your oil, change the gear lube at recommended intervals, and don't neglect your water pump.  Do those things well and you'll likely be happy with any of the major manufacturers.

I've come to like the fact that on my Yamaha, I can do all of the prime maintenance myself.

• Like 1

Finding a good hull and running gear, then the motor could save you a bunch of money.

May be an option depending on how soon you want to fish.

My only experience with a Honda is my buddy has a 50 4 stroke on his pontoon, it is quiet and smooth.

• Like 1

Well I recomended S & R Marine in Cookeville as a place to start because I know the owner and he was my service dealer of my Skeeter boat while it was under warranty and I got to know him and his company fairly well and I have sent several people to them that bought boats from them and got good deals on what they bought. They have Triton Aluminum Boats. If your really wanting a 4 stroke I suggest a Yamaha over the Honda for 1 reason. There are very few places if you need some major repaired on the motor after the warranty expires that work on the Honda Outboards so you would pretty much be stuck going back to your dealer that sold you the boat and Honda motor. I'm not saying Honda is not a great motor cause they are. Just just very many mechanics out there that work on them. Now with that said Mac is talking about his F115 Salt water Yamaha be 10 years old.

I have a 1998 Skeeter with a 130 Yamaha on it that has had one major shop visit since I got it and that was a warranty lower unit replacement which is where and when I met Wayne at S&R Marine. Other than that it has been normal wear and tear repairs.

Spark plugs Lower unit oil change, water pump kits every 2 years that Yamaha is  20 years old in August and from 1998 till 2014 I was on the lake every day till health put me on the night shift. Meds keep me out of direct sunlight so I had the skeeter rigged for night fishing. Black light jacks in the deck and head lights that will light up a football field. 

https://www.snrmarine.com/s/search/inventory/

Picture 162.jpg

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Gotthegoods said:

Finding a good hull and running gear, then the motor could save you a bunch of money.

May be an option depending on how soon you want to fish.

My only experience with a Honda is my buddy has a 50 4 stroke on his pontoon, it is quiet and smooth.

I can fish now, as I have a boat. I was just thinking of upgrading. No more than I get to go, however, it's probably a bad idea.

The reason I'm thinking about a Honda motor is the fact that we now own a Honda 4 wheeler and a Honda car. They are both 100% trouble free except for routine maintenance which is minimal.

My boat works fine, but it's older, so I do have to work on it from time to time. The only reason I'm considering a new boat is the hope of not having to work on it. If I thought it wouldn't be trouble free, I'd just stick with what I've got.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I can fish now, as I have a boat. I was just thinking of upgrading. No more than I get to go, however, it's probably a bad idea.

The reason I'm thinking about a Honda motor is the fact that we now own a Honda 4 wheeler and a Honda car. They are both 100% trouble free except for routine maintenance which is minimal.

My boat works fine, but it's older, so I do have to work on it from time to time. The only reason I'm considering a new boat is the hope of not having to work on it. If I thought it wouldn't be trouble free, I'd just stick with what I've got.

I totally understand and yep, Honda does make great products including their outboards but even new things break. One of the guys on one of our tournament trails bought a new Triton back in 1997 and it had a 200 Honda on it and it was in the shop all the time. He finally told the Triton dealer to keep the Honda motor and put him a Yamaha 200 on it and when he showed up at next tournament he was running a Yamaha. Any company is capable of making a Lemon and James got one on his Triton. He traded boats every three years and every year after that he had Yamaha's. But they break to. I had to put the boat in the picture in S&R while it was under warranty and they put a brand new lower unit on my outboard and it was on 10 months old. 

I don't know how some folks are buying these new top of the line fishing boats. I was looking at a ZX 21 Skeeter at a dealer last week while picking up a part for my boat and the price was $94,895.00. The saleman asked me if he could wrap it up for me and I replied maybe but first you need to show me which storage compartment the pot of gold is stored in and he got an ugly look on his face and walked away. A new Ranger is over $100,000.00.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

I'm with you on this, Greg.  I hate dealing with this stuff.

Just tell me what the boat costs and be done with it.

I have a few boat dealers as clients...they get forced into bundle pricing on more entry-level stuff, the next bump in price is psuedo custom rigged.

Can wait until end of season, then sit on yours until spring? Do you research now, when out and about and you see brands of interest being filled with gas or beer, ask the owner about his ride.

Going back to Tracker as your baseline for comparison, visit a bass pro and lay hands on, look at fit and finish, welds, etc.

I personally think they have a decent product at a competitive price point.

Good luck with your search - keep us updated!

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

Yeah, I think Trackers are the boats that the "cool kids" love to hate. I know several people who've had them - and a few that have moved on to bigger and better.  

But, I don't know anyone who has regretted buying one.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
7 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Yeah, I think Trackers are the boats that the "cool kids" love to hate. I know several people who've had them - and a few that have moved on to bigger and better.  

But, I don't know anyone who has regretted buying one.

Buddy of mine bought the 40th anniversary model they put out earlier this year. Loves it. It’s a great boat at a helluva price. 

1 hour ago, Gotthegoods said:

I have a few boat dealers as clients...they get forced into bundle pricing on more entry-level stuff, the next bump in price is psuedo custom rigged.

Can wait until end of season, then sit on yours until spring? Do you research now, when out and about and you see brands of interest being filled with gas or beer, ask the owner about his ride.

Going back to Tracker as your baseline for comparison, visit a bass pro and lay hands on, look at fit and finish, welds, etc.

I personally think they have a decent product at a competitive price point.

Good luck with your search - keep us updated!

Waiting until this fall sounds like great advice. About what time of year do they start discounting the prices? When do the new models start coming out?

4 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Your gonna be hard pressed to find any dealers on line with prices. I think C&O Marine in White Bluff Tn. may still have prices on boats but not sure.

He has a couple of Tritons similarly priced to the Tracker in the link I posted earlier. You think it is a better boat?

Heck, they may have models from last year or even a nice trade in.  Can't hurt to call and see what they say.  I also would prefer prices to show online, but on the flip side, they always end up either putting MSRP which no one pays or the lowest price with no real options included which also doesn't give a realistic price.  

On things like this I would call and talk to someone or preferably go and put my hands on them.  I buy a lot of things based on my comfort level with the people as much as the product.  Products for the most part are easy to compare.  Service isn't.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

He has a couple of Tritons similarly priced to the Tracker in the link I posted earlier. You think it is a better boat?

Well. let me say this about the boats. They are 98% same boats. They both are welded 1 piece construction which I knew Tracker would go there eventually if they wanted to stay in the aluminum boat business and get away from the rivets. So the boat is really not as much of an issue as the price is and the dealers reputation in which your planning on doing business with. I don't know anyone at Bass Pro Shop/ Tracker/Nitro which is owned by Johnny Morris and Mercury so you gonna get a Mercury Motor with your boat. Your neasest warranty with Tracker is located at Bass Pro Shop.

Triton is owned by Platium Equity which is a holding company that owns Triton, Ranger and Stratos boat companies. They don't own any boat dealers so when you buy one of those you should have your choice of what kind of motor you want and are willing to pay for. The top 2 sellers are Yamaha and Mercury and then you have Honda and Suzuki. With that said,

I do know the owner of S&R Marine and have had dealings with them on several occasions and was always pleased. That is all I will say so I guess as they like to say the Boat is in your boat house on this one or the ball is in your court. Good luck with any decision you make.

• Like 1

Let me add Greg, there is one more aluminum boat I would buy if I myself was looking for an aluminum boat and that would be a G3. I know several friends that own one and I have rode in and fished out of theirs and they are great boats and best of all they are owned by Yamaha Marine so you should be able to get a package boat w/ a Yamaha motor at a good price. Sending you a PM

• Like 1