Anyone converted their fluorescent lights to LED?

LEDs don’t last as long as they would lead you to believe, but if your existing lights are adding to the heat in your house like mine were, you will be pleasantly surprised.  However, be careful because some produce an irritating light, either to stark white or even blue.  

54 minutes ago, analog_kidd said:

The video @Erik88 posted indicates that the contacts have to be replaced. Did you all have to do this for your fixtures? 

I was wondering about that as well. At least they are really inexpensive.

These are listed as non-shunted as the video recommended. 

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/5314/SOCK-L13357U.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrLPSrtOK3AIVBYbICh3mBQcwEAQYAiABEgI_svD_BwE

On 7/6/2018 at 9:08 PM, analog_kidd said:

Well, the ones I ordered on Amazon show a picture where the wires are connected at opposite ends. So it looks like I won't need to buy new terminals. I guess it depends on the style bulb you get.

I like those but I'm curious about "dual-end powered" in the description. That seems like more work if you have to run wires down to both ends. Let me know how the install goes. The LED's I got from Home Depot today only have power at one end. They also came with the non-shunted terminals so I didn't have to purchase those separately. Those of you that ordered online got a better deal but I wanted to buy local to make returns easy in case I wasn't happy with the color. I believe I'll order online for the next set. 

Edited by Erik88
On 7/2/2018 at 6:50 PM, TGO David said:

I removed the ballast units from two 4-foot dual tube fixtures in our master closet and used LED tubes in them.  Works perfectly.  ZERO problems.  Essentially the same thing as buying LED fixtures since all you're using the existing structure for is to get 110VAC to the LED tubes, and to hold the diffusers in place.

These are what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SSNPGSC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had 2 fluorescent fixtures that  had gone out and was trying to decide which LED bulbs to buy, so I bought the bulbs from your link.  I installed them today and they work great.  Thanks.

On 7/4/2018 at 12:59 PM, analog_kidd said:

When you convert the 2 bulb T12 fixture, do you find that you need to replace both bulbs, or is one sufficient? Since the LEDs are more one-directional, I was wondering if one bulb put off enough light. 

Just ordered the one's @TGO David said he got, and was thinking about pre-wiring some fixtures before they arrive. Wondering if I should wire two fixtures or 4 with the 4-pack of bulbs.

We have 2-bulb fixtures and I tried them with only 1 of the bulbs from TGO David's link. It seemed more directional than the fluorescents, even though one LED was probably as bright as the previous 2-bulb configuration.  So I put both 2 LED bulbs in each fixture and like it much better.

For those considering converting existing ballast fixtures, here's a pic of the conversion instructions that came with the bulbs.

43260582282_c3510a9083_o.jpg

All you need are 2 wire nuts (not included with the LED bulbs) and a pair of wire cutters.  I wanted to keep the old fixtures because they were from the 60's/70's and are much more substantial than the typical new manufacture ones sold currently.

I got my bulbs in yesterday. I converted the fixture just like in the picture @mike_f provided. I looked for a wiring diagram in my box, but did not find one. Regardless, there was a similar picture in the Amazon description, so I used that. It was very simple to re-wire the fixture. Did have to provide my own wire nuts, but I had plenty of those laying around.

Once wired up, and rehung, the lights work wonderfully. I only put one bulb in each fixture, where there used to be two bulbs, and I think the light output is brighter than before. I only did the two fixtures in the garage, but the garage is very well lit now.

The one thing I don't care for with these strip LED type lights, is they play tricks on my eyes. When I look up, or side to side, and my vision catches the light, I perceive the lights to jump around. I don't know if that makes sense, or if it happens to anyone else, but it is distracting. It does it to me on the under cabinet LED lighting I installed a few months ago too.

Anyway, thanks to everyone here who offered advice and tips. I admit, I didn't even know these things existed till this thread. Just one more way TGO has made my life better. Thanks :cheers:

• Like 2
On 7/2/2018 at 6:50 PM, TGO David said:

I removed the ballast units from two 4-foot dual tube fixtures in our master closet and used LED tubes in them.  Works perfectly.  ZERO problems.  Essentially the same thing as buying LED fixtures since all you're using the existing structure for is to get 110VAC to the LED tubes, and to hold the diffusers in place.

These are what I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SSNPGSC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 7/2/2018 at 7:27 PM, MacGyver said:

I did it in my garage with T-8 bulbs.  Totally worth it. 

On 7/2/2018 at 7:43 PM, gary_boom said:

I went with LEDs in my woodworking shop. I had 2 bulbs go bad but really like the light.

On 7/3/2018 at 7:41 PM, macville said:

I've converted plenty of fixtures and it's super easy. All you have to do is bypass the ballast and direct connect the power to the led tubes and you are done. Can be done in 10 mins or less and much cheaper.

So if I want to replace some T8 tubes with LED tubes, is there anything special I need to look for other than the T8 on the LED tubes to use bypassing the ballast? I’m not ordering, just going to try to go to Lowes and get them.

I’m asking because in this thread I see that some worked and some didn’t.

29 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

So if I want to replace some T8 tubes with LED tubes, is there anything special I need to look for other than the T8 on the LED tubes to use bypassing the ballast? I’m not ordering, just going to try to go to Lowes and get them.

If you're going to bypass the ballast they call this retrofit. Look for LED tubes that say "no ballast" or something along those lines. From there, you can further narrow it down to LED tubes that have power at one end or both. That's really a personal choice. I just thought it was faster and easier to only rewire power to one end of the fixture. Also, you'll want to pick the "color" light you prefer. Some don't like the super bright daylight look and opt for the softer color. As I mentioned before, some come with the new hangers and some don't. 

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-32-W-Equivalent-Bright-White-T8-LED-Tube-Light-Bulb/1000083437

• Thanks 1
  • Admin Team
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

In my case, I replaced the whole fixture.  I hadn’t planned to, but Lowe’s had a 4-bulb low profile fixture for about $30.  

A wholesale replacement added two bulbs and likely took less time than rewiring my existing fixtures would have required.

I went into the project needing new ballasts anyway - and those were more expensive than the LED fixture at the time.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

In my case, I replaced the whole fixture.  I hadn’t planned to, but Lowe’s had a 4-bulb low profile fixture for about $30.  

A wholesale replacement added two bulbs and likely took less time than rewiring my existing fixtures would have required.

I went into the project needing new ballasts anyway - and those were more expensive than the LED fixture at the time.  

For $30 did that include the LED bulbs as well? I spent $30 just on 2 bulbs alone last weekend. 

As to color of light, below 5000k the light takes on a yellow hue.  The lower the K the more yellow tint. 5000k to 6000k is bright daylight white.  When you get near 6000k to 6500k the light tends to take on a blue tint.

I was not familiar with all the new lighting systems out there these days but my grandson is an electrical contractor and I ask him to stop by about a year ago to do some lighting repairs in my bait pouring room because it was getting hard for me to see in there to pour baits. He came by and looked the situation over and also looked at my outdoor night lighting on the motion sensors. He went up to Lowes and came back with 8 out door bulbs and four 4 foot tubes for the bait room and a 4 foot fixture to and right above my pouring table. He put in what he called daylight bulbs out side and daylight tubes inside and I was amazed at how much light I have now. When anything triggers my out door lights it is light turning on a the sun in my yard and my bait room is also really lit well now.  He said they are called daylight bulbs and they sure do the job well...........:rock:

Went to bulbs in my house.

At the place I use to work they went LED bulbs, tubes and high/low bay fixtures. The light, to me, was much better and a lot less heat produced from fixtures/bulbs.

Failure at one year was none so I think there was some good that came from it.

26 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I can’t find anything locally that will allow bypassing the ballast. Where are you guys finding them locally?

This is what I'm looking at on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-End-Powered-Fluorescent-Replacement-Fixtures/dp/B075RW7RPR/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1532358608&sr=8-20&keywords=SkyGenius+led

It says in the text you can bypass the ballast.

Economical & Energy-Saving: Great replacements for fixtures with bad ballast, less expensive and time consuming than changing broken ballast(Or you can just bypass the ballast). 40W fluorescent equivalent, save 55% on your electricity bill. 

35 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I can’t find anything locally that will allow bypassing the ballast. Where are you guys finding them locally?

This is what I'm looking at on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-End-Powered-Fluorescent-Replacement-Fixtures/dp/B075RW7RPR/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1532358608&sr=8-20&keywords=SkyGenius+led

Omega is right. You will bypass the ballast with those. That seems to be a good price too. That's 50% less than I paid at Home Depot. 

image.png.345598bba5966f23f9d457d15adadab8.png

14 minutes ago, Omega said:

It says in the text you can bypass the ballast.       

4 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Omega is right. You will bypass the ballast with those. That seems to be a good price too. That's 50% less than I paid at Home Depot. 

I know I can bypass the ballast in those. I was just wondering if you guys found anything locally that would work. I went to Lowes and Home Depot and everything I found needed a ballast and was only available in a 10 pack.

2 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I know I can bypass the ballast in those. I was just wondering if you guys found anything locally that would work. I went to Lowes and Home Depot and everything I found needed a ballast and was only available in a 10 pack.

I did find a 2 pack of ballast bypass LED's at Home Depot but they were $30. Keep in mind those 6000k's you posted will be very bright white. Some people compare it to a Doctors Office. Just depends on what you like but wanted you to be aware. 

17 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I did find a 2 pack of ballast bypass LED's at Home Depot but they were $30. Keep in mind those 6000k's you posted will be very bright white. Some people compare it to a Doctors Office. Just depends on what you like but wanted you to be aware. 

I use daylight spectrum in places I need to see detail, like kitchen and bathroom vanities.