Anyone converted their fluorescent lights to LED?

In the couple of utility style fixtures I've done so far, it was really easy to re-wire to bypass the ballast. I wouldn't hesitate to just go that route. It took longer to get the ladder and remove the fixture, than to do the wiring. Plus you get the added bonus of additional power savings by not having to power the ballast.

Once thing I do wonder about: Are there any stickers or some standard way of marking the fixture that it has been converted? What happens if you plug in an old style fluorescent bulb into a fixture that has been straight wired?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, analog_kidd said:

What happens if you plug in an old style fluorescent bulb into a fixture that has been straight wired?

Likely nothing. The ballast is what provides the juice to light off a fluorescent tube and controls the current once it's on. I doubt the bulb would light without a ballast, but it'll blow if it does. 

3 hours ago, analog_kidd said:

Once thing I do wonder about: Are there any stickers or some standard way of marking the fixture that it has been converted? What happens if you plug in an old style fluorescent bulb into a fixture that has been straight wired?

The LED's I bought came with stickers to put on the fixture to let the next person know it had been converted. I doubt much would happen though honestly. 

• 3 years later...

Yes, you can replace fluorescent tubes with LED tubes or LED integrated fixtures. ... As long as the bulb is compatible with the existing fluorescent ballast in the fixture, you simply remove the fluorescent and replace it with the LED tube light. LED replacement lamps are on average 30% more efficient than their fluorescent counterparts. I stopped using any fluorescent lights many years ago. And now, for example, to lighten my rooms I use this small LED lanterns thegrommet.com. I use them even in the garage when I have work there, and it is perfect for me. This one is equipped with 30 bright, eco-friendly LEDs button-free design convenient for low-light conditions, military-grade materials are water-resistant and shock-proof, battery efficient LEDs last up to 12 hours, 140 lumens and lifetime warranty.

Edited by liamsoren