Shipping from TN to another state...

I have been trying to find information about shipping a firearm part (stripped AR Lower), to a FFL shop in Florida, to have some engraving done. But I just can't seen to find the answer I'm looking for. I was wondering if I can ship  directly to the Florida FFL shop, or do I have to ship from a FFL in TN to the Florida FFL shop? I have already bought the Lower, filled out the paperwork and everything. The Shop in Florida said to ask a TN State Police Officer, but short of stopping next to one on duty (which I would consider rude and potentially a bad idea), I'm not sure where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated! - Thanks in advance.

On 7/3/2018 at 8:12 AM, peejman said:

You can send a firearm to an out-of-state gunsmith for repair and they can send it directly back to you. 

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/gunsmiths

Those links didn't cover that specifically. Neither could I find an answer in the ATF FAQ section. While I trust what y'all have told me, do you know where I can find an answer on the ATF's or tn.gov's website?

2 hours ago, Ehunt said:

Those links didn't cover that specifically. Neither could I find an answer in the ATF FAQ section. While I trust what y'all have told me, do you know where I can find an answer on the ATF's or tn.gov's website?

Pretty sure the links provided covered most of your concerns as some simple searching on the ATF’s site might.

If you have a gun and want to send it to an out-of-state FFL for work it can be returned directly to you.

Perhaps you could call the ATF and have them tell you.

Your concern it seems to be if you personally, can ship to an out of state FFL. Yes you can. Your only problem would be with however you use to ship and if you have a copy of the smith’s FFL, maybe.

3 hours ago, Ehunt said:

The shop should have told you what the Federal law is since they are in that business. Tennessee law doesn’t address it. The lower you have is a firearm and is treated as one; either rifle or handgun.

That doesn’t mean a shipper will ship it for you when you notify them at the counter what you are shipping. They have their own rules that are not laws. If it’s a rifle lower your best bet is the United States Postal Service; if it’s a pistol lower they won’t mail it for a non-licensee.

UPS might ship from you to an FFL for repair. It depends on who is at the counter. They will only accept firearms at a UPS facility counter.

FedEx will ship it. I have sent firearms and when I told them it was going to an FFL for repair; they took it.

The answers on the law and who can ship are on the ATF website. Shipper’s regulations are on the individual websites.

Not after all that.... What are you having engraved on it that you can’t just have done here?

• Like 1
On 7/10/2018 at 8:14 PM, DaveTN said:

..... If it’s a rifle lower your best bet is the United States Postal Service; if it’s a pistol lower they won’t mail it for a non-licensee.

Not really a valid blanket statement methinks. Gray at best.

A receiver under federal law is just that, neither a long gun or handgun, but simply "other firearm", regardless of its history or legality of future configuration.

- OS

• Like 2

I've shipped a few firearms to Gunsmiths I've always used UPS and have never encountered a person who would refuse to ship them, you have to use a UPS hub that does that not one of their drop off places. As far as using the US POST OFFICE all I can say is I've only shipped my slides that way, I was told the only way you can ship a Fire Arm through the POST OFFICE you had to have an FFL. License. The guns that I shipped to Gunsmiths to have work done on them have always been shipped directly back to me at my home address, you just need to be there or have someone sign for it. The Florida FFL. should give you the info. you need as to how they accept Firearm Shipment's from Individuals.

Edited by tjc357
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...