Who here is a Gun Flipper?

In other words who here finances their gun purchases by selling or trading in other guns they own?

That's me in a nutshell. Out of the dozens of guns that I have own I can count on one hand the number that I've got without trading or selling another.

Hell for the past few months I'd buy a gun just because it was on sale and then a few weeks later a gun that I'd really want goes on sale so I would trade or sale the one I just brought without having fired the damn thing. I did that to many times to count.

And on that note what are the guns that you would never, ever sale.

Out of the 8 I have only 3 are on my "never, ever sale" list. My Ruger LCR .357, Ruger SP101 .357 and S&W Performance Center Shield 9mm.

The rest I'd have no problem selling or trading  for one I liked better.

All rifles and shotguns along with my final Les Baer TRS, my G43 and my Sig P226 SAO are the only things completely safe in my safe.  Everything else is available for sale or trade. I haven’t had the 365’s long enough to determine if they are keepers, but I’m mighty fond of them. 

46 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I don't mean to sound smug but if I'm having to sell A to buy B it means that I really can't afford B. 

Not to sound smug but, I don't NEED to sell A to buy B it's just I didn't want A as much as I thought I did.

Edited by FortKnox
  • Like 1

Wait, you only have eight? Amateur, my eleven year old daughter owns more guns than you... :P

I have guns I bought that I thought I wanted, I could trade them if I wanted to, but I leave them at the back of the safe. I did sell one a few months ago. The first one in years. It was a Special Field 870, and I was worried that if I had kept it too much longer, I would do something stupid with a rare and collectible gun. So I found a guy that wanted it to hunt with because he knew what it was.

My problem is I only buy and never sell. I have a few I probably should sell because I don't get them out often but I bought them for a reason. Last (only) gun I traded was when I was about 14 and I still regret it and it was just an old junk single shot 10g.

• Like 1

I use to buy and sell from time to time but up until doing that favor for my friend a few weeks back I have about quit as I have all I want or need right now. I have 2 different calibers of handguns strategically placed throughout the house and a few in the safe along with a stock of ammo for both. I have 1 shotgun if a need arises for that type weapon and ammo for it. I was going to put that last Bersa I traded for last week up for sale but it's a Bersa so I guess it will live here for a while.

Trading used to be one of my favorite hobbies. Nothing wrong with selling one to get another, if you really want the other one and your funds are already allocated elsewhere. The last several years the trading has been mostly among friends and we always made sure we both came out even on the deal. In the last couple of years I haven't really done any real trading at all. I don't guess I've really done any actual flipping. 

Oh yeah, I think we've all had to go through the "gotta sell one to buy one" period. Thankfully, I've gotten well past that now. 

These days I need a valid reason to sell or trade a gun. More often than not its a matter of I bought something that just didn't work out for me or occasionally I'll trade into something I just didn't like. Once in a while, I may sell or trade one just because I don't ever use it. But mostly those just rest in the safe waiting for my sons to do whatever they will with them after I'm gone. 

Some of you may recall that a few months ago my truck needed some major repairs. I ended up selling six guns to cover the cost. Most of them fell into the I never use it category. But I'm gonna tell ya, it still hurt to sell those. 

• Like 1

I have parted with one gun in recent memory. It was an 870 Special Field. I had zero use for a purpose built gun. I was worried that had a kept it that it would wind up bubbaed. I let someone else take and used the proceeds to by my Heathen a .22LR target gun, which will cost much more after it is bedded in a custom stock. But it is a small investment to pay for college. ;)

• Like 1