Anyone around Columbia process their own lead and cast? I’ve been reloading for a couple of years and am now curious about casting. Would like to find someone near by who wouldn’t mind me hanging out while they go through the steps. I’ve seen plenty of YouTube videos but would like to see it first hand before I dive into it. Have been collecting lead for a while and just not sure if it’s right for me yet. 

I will check it out this weekend. I’ve read quite a bit already. I think I’m good on the steps and background. My interest is in cost effectiveness and time. Mainly I would cast them powder coat 300 blackout subs and maybe some 357. Would it be worth the time and would I save enough to justify it. Then is it something I actually enjoy.

To answer your question it depends on what you are paying for lead, i get mine free so i am a .05 a round for 9mm ,40,45 as i pickup my brass so all i pay for is primer and powder.

For 30 06, 300 black ,3030  ,300 savage i dont know my cost, but again i only pay for primer ,powder , and some powder coat about every 10k rounds.

And as for the folks that want to add cost of equipment in , i have had most of my equipmet more than 30 years so its paid for

I did a quick search in this subforum and will link a couple of threads.

Whether or not it's worth the initial investment, time and energy is really a very subjective thing.

Casting and powder coating has allowed our small group of three to affordably cast, coat and tailor loads that meet our perceived needs. Our individual round cost is ridiculously low. But we purchased our components in bulk. 

With the low price and ready availability of components now is an excellent time to store what you can't fashion yourself, and the skill and knowledge gleaned from learning to cast & coat may prove invaluable in the future. 

If you search for threads by Dolomite_supafly or Caster you'll find some excellent info and quite a few varied viewpoints. Keeps things interesting...

These gents certainly helped us a great deal when we started down this path.

I've cast my own for a lot of years. Hard bullets and good lube have kept me going for a long time. Initial expense is high but will pay itself back quickly. Don't expect hi tech bullets with super expansion. But for plinking and target it can't be beat.

Tried making my own lube years back. Butter flavored Crisco [what my wife had in the cupboard] and beeswax was what I used. Worked great but every time I went to the range, it smelled so good it made me hungry for a movie and a big bucket of popcorn.

• Like 4

I started handloading in 1970 and quickly got tired of paying for bullets, jacketed and/or cast.  Three years into handloading I started casting.  Didn't have a mentor so I stumbled along for many years but was satisfied with the cast bullets I was making for their purpose.  That would have been 1973 so I have been at this for around 45 years.  Only 12 years ago I joined CastBoolits and THAT was when I really advanced my knowledge  casting.  You can read most of the posts without becoming a member but must join to create posts and see all of their information.  Membership is free.  The only cost is that members must remain civil or they will be invited to exit the site.  I like this rule as there are already enough hostile websites one can visit, if the want that type of interaction.  Now I can hunt with cast boolits (their language for a lead cast bullet) and feel as confident on shot placement and game-dropping performance as with any jacketed bullet.  Take a look.  You can thank me later.

Stumpy

• Like 1

As with hand loading, casting will not save you money, you just shoot more for the same price.

I have over 30 molds, check pricing, molds are not cheap. Some are custom that cost a few pennies. My hollow point molds are my pride and joy.:drool:

Swagging is something else I do, slow process but a 40 S&W case swagged to a 44 mag is something to see as it explodes a few milk jugs in a line.:rock:

Cast Boolits is my "goto" site for all this stuff, good luck and please be safe with liquid lead. As it dont care who or what it burns.:ugh:

Edited by RED333
  • Like 2