Benchmade Casbah

Let's start by saying I know jack about knives.  I have knives that cut and do what they are designed to do, cheaply, lol.

Have been wanting a nice automatic for a while and just fondled a Benchmade Casbah at the store.  First impression is I really like it.  Tight lock-up, no play, sensible controls with a blade design and grip shape that I like.  It really feels good in the hand.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular blade?  Any reason I should not buy one?

I have the HK Patrol (black with D2 steel).  So far I have liked it, but it feels much bulkier than a CLA.  I took a Dremel and sanded under the pocket clip to reduce pocket shredding.  You may want to check out a Protech TR-3 or BM CLA before jumping.  

All in what you like.

• Admin Team

The CPMs30v steel on that blade will serve you well.  I like that those are tip up carry - and reversible so that you don't have to change your grip between removing it from your pocket and deploying it.

I'm not a giant fan of the handle finish - the "Grivory" they use I think is about the same consistency as FRN - I just like a little more texture.  But, that's a personal preference.  If it felt good in hand, then that's what matters.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I second that steel. I am using it more and more for my knives and I’m very impressed!! Don’t know about that model but I have a few Benchmades in my EDC rotations. I think they are a good value.

That will be my next knife purchase.  I really like Benchmade knives.  I own several.  All are axis lock knives, which is all I would consider, before.  The mini Barrage is assist opening, and really fast.  The Adamus auto is a little slow opening, but it is a big knife and could get away if it opened quickly.  The Griptillian stays readily available in the truck.  I have no problem with the grip of the handle.  Other are stashed in tool boxes or drawers.  Kind of like flashlights … never have too many.  Like Potterfield says about guns when asked about how many are needed; just one more.

A video of the Casbah shows it to be very fast deploying, and a great size.  l haven't any experience with the button lock feature, but I trust Benchmade without reservation.  Your only concern will be that they must be sent back through a dealer (for any service,) unless you are LEO or EMT.  Benchmade strictly goes by federal regs on this.

Benchmade seems to balance their knives well.  I have a few knives by SpiderCo (sp), Buck, Puma.  Benchmade is my favorite and I go with black blade that is partially serrated.  The serrations are often useful.  I am pretty sure the Casbah will become one of your favorite knives.

• 2 weeks later...

Monday I was on Bladehq’s website and today I’m rocking the casbah.

Overall,  I’m very pleased.  It’s actually very light and should be easy to carry.  Really don’t even notice it in my pocket.  The “grivory” is not all that bad but the entire body is made of the material.  That could certainly be seen as a negative, but I guess the overall weight makes up for it.

• 3 months later...
On 10/30/2018 at 9:30 PM, CJDore said:

Next auto consider Protech........best bar none

I agree.  Protech are the best non-otf autos.  Can't go wrong with them.  

On 7/26/2018 at 10:14 PM, MacGyver said:

Got a good strop?

With normal everyday use a strop ought to keep that CPMs30v in top form.  

JRE Strop Bat should be in every house.   

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SWJewellTN said:

What's wrong with Protech's OTF auto? I like my TGO Dark Angel but I'm not a knife fanatic either.

Nothing is wrong with it.  I just don't think they make the best OTF.   I think Microtech has them beat on OTFs.  

2 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

What's wrong with Protech's OTF auto? I like my TGO Dark Angel but I'm not a knife fanatic either.

I'm not a fan of OTFs, it's just a preference thing for me, but I also worry that if it hits something or it gets grit or lint into the inside it will hinder the blade from locking.  The locking part on a benchmade I've taken apart, for clean\lube, doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. 

2 minutes ago, Omega said:

I'm not a fan of OTFs, it's just a preference thing for me, but I also worry that if it hits something or it gets grit or lint into the inside it will hinder the blade from locking.  The locking part on a benchmade I've taken apart, for clean\lube, doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy. 

I really don't carry mine. I'm too old to bring a knife to a gun fight. :)

5 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

I carry a knife and a multitool, but not so much for offence/defense measures, more utility.  But if a blade does not lock, or the lock fails it can be dangerous, just like a dull knife.

8 minutes ago, Omega said:

I carry a knife and a multitool, but not so much for offence/defense measures, more utility.  But if a blade does not lock, or the lock fails it can be dangerous, just like a dull knife.

I get it, but some of the guys on here buy fighters, (not talking about you specifically). 

1 minute ago, DaveTN said:

After my first couple of auto-knives my concern was accidental opening in my pocket. The recessed button on that knife looks like it may help prevent that.

Exactly. I bought a 5" SOG that came open in my pocket many times. I dodged a bullet one time that it didn't cut into the leather seat of my new truck. I like the recessed buttons.

2 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

Exactly. I bought a 5" SOG that came open in my pocket many times. I dodged a bullet one time that it didn't cut into the leather seat of my new truck. I like the recessed buttons.

Tip up!  I carry tip up and never have to worry about my knives coming open in my pocket.  

30 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

So am I. But as I get older and the packaging they use these days gets harder to open; I need a knife. :wall:

11 minutes ago, SWJewellTN said:

I bought a SOG Spec Elite II 4”. I never had it open in my pocket, but saw the possibility of that happening. It’s assigned to desk duty. My EDC knife is a Protech Magic Whiskers. I think it would be almost impossible to open accidently.