Any Mid-TN Electricians?

Any electricians on here? I'm looking for someone to help me with a small project. I have called a few local companies without success.

I need more outlets in the garage, and I want to run a new circuit for it. The current breaker box has one open slot, and even though I don't expect to need more circuits I think a sub-panel is in order.

I'm looking for someone to install the sub-panel and connect to the existing box for me. Once that is done I will handle the rest of the cable runs/outlets. I'm sure I could do the install but with the potential risks I feel better with someone who does this for a living.

This seems like a fairly simple job if someone is in the Columbia area willing to take on a side project. 

What amp service is the "Main" panel? If the Main is 200 amp you will have room. If the main is just 100 amp you will need to upgrade your service. You can not tie into the Main panel above the main disconnect.

With a 200 amp service you can run a feed to the sub panel with out issue.

1 hour ago, analog_kidd said:

It's easier than you think to wire that up. The hard part will be snaking the wire and making it look nice. 

I have worked with electric a bit, and this does seem simple. Kill the power, connect the feed....my wife disagrees so I'm willing to pay someone who knows what they are doing.

As far as looks, I am doing surface mount conduit anyways, so I was thinking a surface mount panel would be fine as well. Mount it next to the existing panel, one hole in the drywall to snake the cable through...

Edited by jonathon1289
51 minutes ago, RED333 said:

What amp service is the "Main" panel? If the Main is 200 amp you will have room. If the main is just 100 amp you will need to upgrade your service. You can not tie into the Main panel above the main disconnect.

With a 200 amp service you can run a feed to the sub panel with out issue.

The main is 200 amp. I thought about just filling in the last breaker slot for this new circuit, but figured the small cost is worth it to do a sub-panel in case future expansion is needed.

Just where are you planing on hooking up the wire in the main panel? From what you are describing it does not sound like you have enough room for a double pole 100 amp breaker.

34 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Just where are you planing on hooking up the wire in the main panel? From what you are describing it does not sound like you have enough room for a double pole 100 amp breaker.

Move one of the existing breakers over to the new panel?

I have a local company coming out Tuesday to look and give me an estimate (hopefully they show up this time)....will see what they say, worst case I just install a 20amp breaker to completely fill the existing panel, and only worry about future expansion if it is ever needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I was finally able to get 2 electricians out here this week to look at what I wanted. They suggested going with a tandem 20amp breaker instead of attempting the sub-panel install and moving circuits over due to cost....since I don't expect any future electrical expansion I agreed.

Install was completed to a junction box below my service panel, using 12/3 romex. He wired it as both black/red hot, with a shared neutral, briefly explaining that it is allowed per code as a multiwire branch circuit since the breaker / both circuits are on the same leg/phase. It wasn't really what I had envisioned, but didn't get time to discuss with the tech due to schedule conflicts. From talking to someone else and reading online it should be fine though, or I can unhook it and run a 2nd piece of romex to make it two isolated 12/2 runs (dedicated hot/neutrals).

Now to get conduit run where I need it....

Thanks for the info and suggestions in here.

ETA: Read some more, calling to discuss the install tomorrow, but I will get this fixed to 2 completely isolated circuits as I had originally intended. I don't want the shared neutral overload risk. And garage wiring requires GFCI protection, which isn't as straightforward with a shared neutral. So getting this wired as I intended is the best solution, wish had been here for all of the install to get it done right to start with.

Edited by jonathon1289