Is there a good EDC that's large enough for accuracy at 30yds?

Strange question from a new guy, but just looking for advice.

I currently carry a Colt Mustang XSP for EDC and a Beretta 96A1 for open carry while on the farm, in the woods, etc...I often debate myself if the .380 has sufficient stopping power (I know this is arguable from both sides). I'm also not nearly as accurate as I'd like to be with the xsp

I can shoot a fist size group with the xsp at 10yds and about the same group with the 96A1 at 30yds. 

Looking for a pistol as close to concealable as the xsp with close to the accuracy of the 96A1 in a larger caliber than .380

I realize the xsp is a 3" barrel and the 96a1 is almost 5". I also carried a Beretta 92 every day in the military for 10 years and the thousands of rounds help with the 96a1 accuracy, but it is NOT concealable.

I've also debated a laser for the xsp, but I dont like to rely on too many moving parts.

So...advice? Shut up and practice more? A new pistol?20180707_183513.thumb.jpg.c052230bc9835b04c3876d53d5ed0622.jpg

20180707_183434.thumb.jpg.5274b8d208608218997bc7a37ff46402.jpg

Edited by james.price

I think having a little more powder / velocity in a 9mm round would help hitting the targets at 30 yards more than the .380.  You can get  several concealable 9mm pistols. I haven't shot my P365 to 30 yards, but I can get pretty good results from my P228.  Yeah, I'm more of a Sig guy, but there are other 9mm conceal models that can do the same thing.  

• Like 1

@ james.price - Welcome to the forum.

You pose a good question, and you may well find a small gun that you shoot more accurately than the XSP to fill the EDC role.  But to me the bottom line is that your accuracy with the Colt is adequate for the purpose.  You probably don't need superb accuracy at 30 or 40 yards from a concealed carry weapon.  

While most infantry firefights occur within 100 yards of the enemy, the majority of self-defense engagements (in the U.S.) probably occur within 10 yards of the bad guy.   Many take place at contact distance.  

To me, the concealed carry weapon only serves 2 purposes: 1) end threats within my immediate surroundings, and 2) help me get to the long gun.

• Thanks 1

@Wheelgunner agree 100%. My main purpose for something more accurate was to be able to carry the same gun for EDC and for work and play on the farm. Have had a couple of run ins with wild dogs (strays people drop off in the country) and had to actually shoot 2. 30 yds is closer than I want them.  I keep a Mossberg 12 ga on the tractor, but it's not practical carrying it around trying to work. 

And while I don't want to get shot with a .380, I don't want to question the stopping power on a wild dog, coyote, or even the occasional rattlesnake.

28 minutes ago, james.price said:

@Wheelgunner agree 100%. My main purpose for something more accurate was to be able to carry the same gun for EDC and for work and play on the farm. 

In my opinion, that kind of role is where a revolver in a powerful caliber really shines.  For example, a 3" barreled .357 mag is small enough to carry virtually all the time.  You can load it with .38 Special to make follow-up shots easier.  On the farm, stoke it with premium heavy grain .357 magnum ammo for better performance a little farther out.  (Buffalo Bore's 180 grain hard cast LFN round comes to mind. )

Of course, what you gain in versatility you lose in reload speed and weight.  There's always a tradeoff,  I guess.

Edited by Wheelgunner
Spelling

Oh, and I can add a couple I've tried that didn't work

Springfield xdm .40 sub compact-the thick grip and shorter barrel was hard to get comfortable with. Also, the lack of a manual safety makes me edgy

Ruger SP101- I really wanted this gun to work, but had accuracy issues which I fixed with a CT laser, but just a bit heavy for edc.

Walther PK380-Still one of my favorite guns, but a little on the larger side

1 minute ago, Wheelgunner said:

In my opinion, that kind of role is where a revolver in a powerful caliber really shines.  For example, a 3" barreled .357 mag is small enough to carry virtually all the time.  You can load it with .38 Special to make follow-up shots easier.  On the farm, stoke it with premium heavy grain .357 magnum ammo for better performance a little farther out.  (Buffalo Bore's 180 grain hard cast LFN round comes to mind. )

Of course, what you gain in versatility you lose in reload speed and weight.  There's always a tradeoff,  I guess.

We were posting at the same time :)

I've thought of a smaller frame hammerless revolver (kimber k6s for example). Just hard to find a shop that has revolvers and will let you try them out.

6 shots is fine with me and a speed loader or 2 in a pouch.

What kind of accuracy are you looking for? Pocket pistols, subcompacts, .380’s, are not target pistols and 30 yards is not self-defense range.   With practice you can hit something at that range with a Mustang but it would be luck.

There is no one size fits all pistol.  Range and accuracy is going to mean a faster bulllet, 9mm minimum (but .380 is just fine for self defense) and bigger gun.   The market is flooded with sub-compact 9’s.

• Like 2

Yeah, its probably a unicorn hunt. Enough range to carry into the woods but comfortable enough to carry around town.

I may try out a few of the more popular ones (ruger sr9c, m&p shield). There has to be a reason for their popularity 

The increased accuracy of the larger guns often has more to do with longer sight radius.  Of course, longer sight radius is harder to conceal.

I usually carry an XDS .45.  It's small enough to not print, but I can get hits on E targets out to 30 yards.  As stated earlier, the handgun is just to fight my way to a long gun.

Large dogs can be surprisingly resistant to pistol calibers.  I once had to hit a large feral pitbull 8 times with a .45 1911.  All solid body hits with hollowpoints.  Fortunately the other two dogs ran off at the sound of the shots.

I got a coyote a few weeks back with my little Keltec CMR30 .22mag.  Two hits at 60 yards and she ran about 20 yards and dropped.  Very light, handy little rifle.  The .22mag is nothing to sneeze at with the new Vermont loads.

• Like 2

Check out a Springfield EMP 9mm.  They make 3" and 4" versions and are not that much bigger than your Mustang.  Some may consider them a little heavy for EDC, but they are neat little guns.  I've had both and they are easy to carry and hide.  Both are quite accurate as well.

• Like 1

Just 3 words

Practice, Practice, Practice

With enough you can hit at 30 yards with a pistol. Caliber is your pick, I carry a 40 S&W Glock when I am out on my place.

• Like 3

I'd suggest a medium frame (6 shot) .357 with a 3 or 4" barrel. For a semi-auto, a Commander sized lightweight 1911 in .45acp would work. 

BTW: carry comfort and concealability is more a function of a good belt and holster than the gun itself.  ;)

• Like 3

I second the SA XDs in .45ACP, but it doesn't have a safety.  You might consider a Shield in .40, if that's the caliber you like.  I believe they make a model with a safety and one without. Another consideration is Glock 43.  Small enough for EDC, but still packs 9mm power.  Also consider a Ruger LCP2 in 9mm.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Garufa said:

With practice you can hit something at that range with a Mustang but it would be luck.

I hit one of those spinning gopher targets 4 out of 6 shots with my P3AT at about 25 yds. I took my sweet time about it, but I did it and proved to a friend that mouse guns aren't as laughably inaccurate as some tend to think. 

For the OP I'd suggest one of the 4" pistols. Enough sight radius for good accuracy, but small enough for relatively easy concealment. There's plenty to choose from so pick one that you shoot well and fits your budget. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, james.price said:

We were posting at the same time :)

I've thought of a smaller frame hammerless revolver (kimber k6s for example). Just hard to find a shop that has revolvers and will let you try them out.

6 shots is fine with me and a speed loader or 2 in a pouch.

I am fan of a hammerless revolver for certain applications but a S&W j-frame sized gun with a 2 inch barrel is not going to give you the accuracy you are looking for.

A Ruger Service Six in stainless has been my go to for almost 30 years if I'm going to open carry in the woods or on a farm.  It is a 4" barrel .357. It is simple, powerful, and reliable. Accurate enough, especially firing single action. Heavy but the grip size and overall weight are welcome if you're firing full 357 loads. I usually carry it cross draw on my left hip so it is accessible when seated in a vehicle.  

If weight and concealability are bigger concerns, then I would go with the S&W Shield in either 9mm or 45.  I think the 40 would be punishing. If you can stand the bigger size, then the M&P 2.0 compact would be a good choice also.  All are available with a safety. 

Edited by Buzz
  • Like 1
On 7/8/2018 at 9:54 AM, chances R said:

The M&P compact may be what you are looking for.  Can swing both ways, open or concealed.  I like the 1.0 just fine, but the 2.0 is out now.

That's what I carry, and am satisfied with it's accuracy.The shooter I think needs more practice than the gun in my case, LOL!

- K

• Like 1

I've tried a bunch of those compact .380s. I'm not going to say it's all the gun's fault, but I can't hit squat with any of them. I'm of the opinion that the .380 round works well enough at stopping a threat, but the size of the .380 compacts don't lend well to shooting well. The bigger .380s are a lot more accurate, but you might as well go with a 9mm at that point. You want to handle a sweet shooting gun, shoot a M&P EZ .380, but the problem is, it's as big as the 9mm shield.

Upgraded to a M&P Shield in 9mm and couldn't be happier. I can shoot a fairly decent group at 30 yards. Nicest gun for it's size that I have shot, for me personally.

• Like 1