Where to go in Maine?

After dealing with a few of life's curveballs, I've decided to take a last minute, week or so long, solo trip to Maine. It's somewhere I've always wanted to visit. The fact that the temps are a bit cooler is a huge plus. I'm really hoping for some good seafood, too. 

I plan on being in Maine for three or four day, pitching a tent, hopefully somewhere with shower access. I have very little planned out. As of right now, I'm thinking about not staying in any one area for more than a day. Possibly two, if I really like the area. 

Does anyone have suggestions in the way of restaurants, campgrounds, places worth checking out the sights, etc.? I'm almost totally "winging it", so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

If your looking along the coast there are many places to stay and a lot of places to eat. Inland is nice but if you're not near a town it is tough. Long time visiter to Maine from coast to Bar Harbor, Cadillac mtn. Agusta, Bangor, Moose head lake and in between.  Note a must stop is in Kittery at the Kittery Trading Post. A well supplied sportsman's paradise. If you would like more info just holler.

Edited by smokin45
Update
  • Thanks 1

My wife spent a summer there. She really enjoyed Camden and Rockland. Honestly, the entire state looks beautiful. I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter where you venture. If I'm going that far, I'd probably have to visit NH as well. Let us know how you like it.

• Thanks 1

We use to go to Maine once or twice a year. A lot depends on what your interested in seeing. A couple of great car and transportation museums. Owls Head is a very formal car and aircraft museum and the Cole museum in Bangor is general transportation and has so much stuff in it you have to look up down under and around constantly, the better of the two if you only do one.

Highway 1 is a nice drive but can be a parking lot at times so you may want to have an alternate route in mind if it is too bog down. Lots of good lobster eating, the best are close to the docks and have fresh off the boat. A couple of times when on less traveled roads we found fisherman's wives serving lobster in the front yard at picnic tables. For a slightly lighter fair try the lobster rolls. Even some of the McDonalds server them. For way off the beaten path Bagaduce Lunch, Penobscot, it is a real hole in the wall but great Lobster rolls and onion rings, you sit outside on a bay where depending on the tide a creek running into the bay might be flowing out or in. Booth Bay also has an interesting fish shack for good fried fish. 

Lots of light house to see if your into them.

If I think of some other good spots I'll post another note.

• Thanks 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

You should be okay on the coast. But be careful if you go inland very far; we don’t have the wall up yet and those Canadians sneak across all the time.

You got to watch out for those Snow Mexicans, they’re a crafty bunch of hosers, eh.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Haha 4

Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park are a nice area to visit.   Jordans Restaurant in Bar Harbor is a great place for breakfast (and other meals). 

The Maine Diner at Wells, Maine has really good food for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The Maine Prison Store in Thomaston, Maine is a unique place to visit.  All things are made by the prisoners and they make some great products.  Check out the full size carving of a biker and woman on a motorcycle in the window.  Nothing like having your purchases bagged by a 300 plus pound prisoner.  It is on the main highway.

Have a great trip.

• Thanks 1
On 7/8/2018 at 1:59 PM, TripleDigitRide said:

After dealing with a few of life's curveballs, I've decided to take a last minute, week or so long, solo trip to Maine. It's somewhere I've always wanted to visit. The fact that the temps are a bit cooler is a huge plus. I'm really hoping for some good seafood, too. 

I plan on being in Maine for three or four day, pitching a tent, hopefully somewhere with shower access. I have very little planned out. As of right now, I'm thinking about not staying in any one area for more than a day. Possibly two, if I really like the area. 

Does anyone have suggestions in the way of restaurants, campgrounds, places worth checking out the sights, etc.? I'm almost totally "winging it", so any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Please tell me you're not making this trip on a bike. Because if you are, I'm not going to like you anymore, and I'm going to be jealous. And, well, frankly I'm going to stalk you along the way. 🤪

• Like 1
On 7/10/2018 at 2:25 PM, res308 said:

Please tell me you're not making this trip on a bike. Because if you are, I'm not going to like you anymore, and I'm going to be jealous. And, well, frankly I'm going to stalk you along the way. 🤪

Don't think I didn't think about it. But I decided to settle on the boring 'ol pickemup truck. 

I hope you have a great trip. Let us know how it goes up there. Whenever I do settle on a particular bike, I want to take a road trip, maybe next spring. You have me thinking about that direction now. Have a safe drive and enjoy getting to unwind, and hopefully recharge the peace batteries.