Shooting, at 100yds all for fun

Looking to purchase a rifle for 100 yard ranges. I'm not interested in hunting, so larger calibers aren't necessary... this is all for fun, anyway. Been looking at a couple of rifles that come in a few different calibers.

1. The Ruger American. It comes in .22 rimfire, .270, .243, and .308. Other than the .22 the ammo costs are close; about .75 to .80 per round.

2. The Remington M783. It comes in all of the above except .22... but does come in .223rem. .223 rem goes down to about .36 per round which is nice... and besides, I already shoot that caliber.

I'm confident in Ruger and know that if there is a problem, they'll make it right. The Remington however, I know very little about. I've read review after review on them and it seems that most people reviewing guns are usually doing so for the company, or something. I'm hoping that there are a couple of you guys here that have a little experience with either of these rifles that would like to share your input. Also, for range shooting... 50/75/100 yards, which caliber works best?

If, I sound totally off of my rocker, and there are better options... I'd love to hear about those too.

Thanks in advance...

Long time lurker, few time poster.

Charles

So many options for gun and caliber.  Sounds like you are looking for a bolt gun.  Have you considered what Savage has to offer?  Their Mark II series of .22’s are simply excellent.  Their centerfire rifles are highly regarded as well.

Shooting .22 at 100 yards accurately is most satisfying but a bit more challenging than a centerfire, in my opinion.  Shines at 50 yards though.

• Like 2

If its just for fun, I say a light caliber, 22lr, 22 wmr, 223...22-250?  It will give you a little more challenge which is more fun.  A few week's ago, a couple of buddies and I were hitting a 6in steel target at 175yds with 22lr.  All three of us were using Rugers, but that's personal preference. 

• Like 1

I've just completed putting together an old Ruger 10/22 (new stocks/scope/bi-pod) for shooting, but only zero'ed in for 50yds... which is what has me wanting a little larger. and yeah... a bolt action rifle.

Pouring through all the YouTube videos on the Savage Axis leaves me kind of wanting to avoid them. I'm pretty happy with the Ruger and leaning more toward it than anything. They just don't offer the American in .223, or at least I haven't found it.

My daughter shoots competition with a single shot bolt gun. Both of her "rifles" are Savage MkIIs in .22LR. If you are into a .223, Ruger and Savage make them, the American is more affordable. Look at the variants. I think they have a Ranch and a Predator in .223. Of those two, I can't say I would suggest another. My Heathen shoots left handed so Savage was a the obvious winner for us. I however have a Mossberg Patriot in .308 for my bolt gun. Just to mess up the mix.

If 223 is the caliber chosen, look more at the Ruger Predator model, the American has a pencil barrel and will heat up quickly, moving POI.  The American model is good for 2-3 shot strings, then wait for it cool off even with low powder charges.  

Are you looking for a challenge or are you looking more for within an inch is ok?  Big difference in options and what it takes depending on what you really want to do.  There are lots of options in calibers, but very few that can obtain extreme accuracy without some work put into it.  

Do you reload or are you willing to reload?  Full disclosure, accuracy to me is much different than accuracy to most others.  I shoot competition rimfire at 50 yards and it can challenge anyone as much as anything out there.  It's not really about how far, but how accurate at how far that would sway my answer.

What would you prefer, lower noise and lower recoil at a shorter distance, or more noise and more recoil at a longer distance?  Basically I am trying to determine if Rimfire or Centerfire makes more sense.  

If you are looking at a .22LR, then I'd go with a Ruger 10/22.  Pretty fun and lots of mods out there for them.    If you are looking for a semi-auto centerfire rifle, then you can't go wrong with an AR and the prices are right now, with carbon fiber lower rifles starting at around $350.  Centerfire bolt rifles , you already got good advice about.  My personal preference is Savage, but to each their own.  Now for something off the wall... A Hi-Point 995TS 9mm carbine!  Cheap to shoot and loads of fun and they don't break the bank and can  be used as a home defense rifle!

Since I've already got the 10/22 set up the way I like it... and can drill holes at 50 yards with it, I picked up the Remington 783 w/scope at Academy. Went with the .243 caliber. The scope that came with it was immediately discarded for an Athlon scope. I don't know who made the scope that came with the rifle but it was pretty bad.

I appreciate everyone responses.

7 hours ago, charlessummers said:

Since I've already got the 10/22 set up the way I like it... and can drill holes at 50 yards with it, I picked up the Remington 783 w/scope at Academy. Went with the .243 caliber. The scope that came with it was immediately discarded for an Athlon scope. I don't know who made the scope that came with the rifle but it was pretty bad.

I appreciate everyone responses.

Good choice. That rifle gets good reviews, and is made at the Kentucky facility. The .243 will take you out to 1000 yards. So it will easily do want you want.

Let us know how it does. I’m curious about the trigger. It the article from American Rifleman below they compare the trigger to a Timney, and were very impressed with rifle that they shot out to 500 yards. (Of course they had a Leupold CDS that I’m sure cost more than the rifle; that matters.)

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2013/1/2/the-remington-783/

As far as long range with the .243...

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2017/9/29/six-key-reasons-why-john-whidden-uses-243-win-for-long-range-shooting/