Any use for CB radios?

I have a couple handheld CB radios and a magnetic car antenna.  Probably 20 years or so old.  Is there any practical use for these now or in hard times?  Otherwise, planning to dispose of. 

Thanks

Hard times, maybe. I have a CB in one of my vehicles. I quit turning it on. No one utilized it properly. No one knows what lane to be in, and C19 is all about whose mother was the loosest. It is not what it was when I used to use them. I am not a professional trucker (driver, yes.) I am not sure they would have a different opinion.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

Hard times, maybe. I have a CB in one of my vehicles. I quit turning it on. No one utilized it properly. No one knows what lane to be in, and C19 is all about whose mother was the loosest. It is not what it was when I used to use them. I am not a professional trucker (driver, yes.) I am not sure they would have a different opinion.

No, that’s about it. Mine spends as much time off as it does on. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

No, that’s about it. Mine spends as much time off as it does on. 

Dammit, I was counting on you to tell me how useful you found it. I spent ten years in the trucking industry, I was hoping it had changed.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Murgatroy said:

Dammit, I was counting on you to tell me how useful you found it. I spent ten years in the trucking industry, I was hoping it had changed.

Nope. Hasn't really changed at all, except for getting worse. I still drive on occasion, and I put one in my pickup for my weekend drives to work in Nashville. It would be good to be able to tune in and get a heads up on traffic problems ahead, or just have a decent conversation with another driver going down the road. But, both of them wind up staying turned off more than on. They can be useful though. 

• Like 1

I still use one occasionally on trips. Use to be the best radar detectors made, and good for a heads up on road construction/accident back-ups. Not as many reports anymore though and useless in the Metro area unless you like listening to complaints about traffic.

Trying to figure out how I can put a good antenna on the wife’s Silverado without adding any holes and it having a bed cover. I have a Wilson Mag mount; but it will scratch the paint.

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I still use one occasionally on trips. Use to be the best radar detectors made, and good for a heads up on road construction/accident back-ups. Not as many reports anymore though and useless in the Metro area unless you like listening to complaints about traffic.

Trying to figure out how I can put a good antenna on the wife’s Silverado without adding any holes and it having a bed cover. I have a Wilson Mag mount; but it will scratch the paint.

firestik used to make mounts that went into a hood screw up by the windshield.  I had one on my old dodge and it wasn't bad at all, allowed me to not add any holes and run the antenna wire straight through the door.