A reliable semi-auto Taurus other than the PT92 ?

tercel89

Earlier this evening I was riding around with my wife and little girl listening to Guns And Leather Radio Hour. My little girl got to talking loud and I only caught a little of they said ,  but they were saying that a certain Taurus semi-auto in 9mm would go bang every time you pulled the trigger. I don't think it was the larger Taurus shaped like the Beretta 92 , I think it was a smaller 9mm. They were talking to a caller who asked how the smaller 9mm guns were selling and the Taurus was mentioned. Anyone know which one they were talking about ?

Edited by tercel89

I've owned 2 of the "little" PT111 G2s (I say "little" because they are small, but still hold 12 rounds).  Traded the first one for a Hi-Point Carbine (which I still have and enjoy shooting).   Missed it so much I ended up buying another one. Great shooting guns in my opinion, but a lot of people don't like the long trigger pull and reset.  I've never had an issue with it.  I think most people bitch about them because they are a Taurus, without actually taking the time to check them out.  I think it's the best deal on the market for just a bit north of $200!  Hickok45 even liked them!

Thanks guys. I didn't know that Taurus had anything reliable other than the PT92. Good to know now. I am not in the mood for buying one yet but I may go handle and dry fire one. The second strike capability sounds pretty neat. Thanks for the information guys .

When it isn't difficult to find used M&P Shields for well under $300, I would give Taurus a pass.  The PT111 gets some positive reviews but there are also plenty of complaints, and for years I've heard Taurus may or may not end up fixing the problems with a particular gun.

I wouldn't mind owning a PT92 but I'd rather not take a chance on any "native" Taurus design.  

If you are still interested, you can often find the PT111 under $200 on the used market.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2018 at 12:15 PM, ken_mays said:

When it isn't difficult to find used M&P Shields for well under $300, I would give Taurus a pass.  The PT111 gets some positive reviews but there are also plenty of complaints, and for years I've heard Taurus may or may not end up fixing the problems with a particular gun.

I wouldn't mind owning a PT92 but I'd rather not take a chance on any "native" Taurus design.  

If you are still interested, you can often find the PT111 under $200 on the used market.

Where are you finding Shields for less than $300 at?  Memphis must be a cheaper market than Knoxville.  I don't think I have seen one for less than $350.  I see the PT111s going to around $210 all the time, though.

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:26 AM, mikegideon said:

Never been a Taurus fan. I really tried, too. The PT92 is a good gun. That's about it for me, though.

I'm about the same as you on Taurus. Ive heard lots of good things about the PT92. I did have a Taurus model 85 .38 revolver . It would "lock up" and the cylinder not rotate ever other range visit .

On 7/22/2018 at 9:29 AM, Moped said:

Where are you finding Shields for less than $300 at?  Memphis must be a cheaper market than Knoxville.  I don't think I have seen one for less than $350.  I see the PT111s going to around $210 all the time, though.

I see them in a couple of pawnshops from $250 to $280 routinely.   With the introduction of the 2.0 models, the Shield 1.0s seem to be have lost some value.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ken_mays said:

I see them in a couple of pawnshops from $250 to $280 routinely.   With the introduction of the 2.0 models, the Shield 1.0s seem to be have lost some value.

Don't see them much around here or at least I haven't.  Harvey's Loan and Pawn has a couple of Shield 45 ACP on Auction right now, but they started at $360.

And as I type this, I just checked their auction page and the auctioned off a used Shield 9mm, that went for $245.  Only one person bid.  So I guess they are out there.

50 minutes ago, chances R said:

shield with rebate around $300.  for the $ I like the SCCY.  double strike, lifetime warranty.  Have personal knowledge of at least 8 of them with no complaints.

The only rebates that S&W is giving right now are to former and active Service members of the Reserve and National Guard.  https://www.smith-wesson.com/rebates

I've considered the Sccy, especially since they are building a plant in Maryville, TN. They go for really cheap here in Knoxville. You can usually find them new for less than $200.  But I watched a Hickok45 review of them and while it was ok, it wasn't great.  He had a couple of issues.  His review of the PT111 Millennium G2 was much better.

Still might get one, one of these day though.

13 minutes ago, Moped said:

I've considered the Sccy, especially since they are building a plant in Maryville, TN. They go for really cheap here in Knoxville. You can usually find them new for less than $200.  But I watched a Hickok45 review of them and while it was ok, it wasn't great.  He had a couple of issues.  His review of the PT111 Millennium G2 was much better.

I’m not so sure SCCY in Maryville is happening. 

Edited by Garufa
Just now, Garufa said:

SCCY in Maryville is not happening.  I believe that parcel of land is for sale or was recently.  Ther was a brief discussion about it some time back.

Well damn. I was looking forward to more firearms manufacturers moving here.

Just now, Moped said:

Well damn. I was looking forward to more firearms manufacturers moving here.

I had already edited my comment but seems like where they were going to build is for sale or something like that. 

Here ‘tis: 

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
10 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I’m not so sure SCCY in Maryville is happening. 

Indeed. The property they bought is just down from where I work. By their initial plan, they should be a full production by now. The property is overgrown, so draw your own conclusions. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 6:01 PM, Moped said:

Don't see them much around here or at least I haven't.  Harvey's Loan and Pawn has a couple of Shield 45 ACP on Auction right now, but they started at $360.

And as I type this, I just checked their auction page and the auctioned off a used Shield 9mm, that went for $245.  Only one person bid.  So I guess they are out there.

The only rebates that S&W is giving right now are to former and active Service members of the Reserve and National Guard.  https://www.smith-wesson.com/rebates

They have this rebate going on until 9/2. I just bought an m&p45 mid size for $350 then with the $50 rebate couldn't say no. https://www.smithandwessonrebates.com/media/uploads/1530115228880.pdf

eh, but not for shields, my bad.

Edited by tmauto769
  • 2 months later...

Well I can just kick myself ! I saw a Taurus PT92 in a local pawn shop for $225 . It had some scratches but damn ! I went back to try and put it on layaway the next day and it was gone . So nice with that frame mounted safety . I doubt I'll see anything that good priced again !

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As far as I am concerned my Taurus Millennium G2 is well worht the money ($189). It is being replaced by the new G2C (I think G2c).  

I just made a post on a topic asking about the G2C: Copy it here as seem applicable to this topic.

COPY and Paste:

My understanding the G2C is nearly same as the Millennium G2 except does not have the internal locking mechanism. Doubt anyone ever used that anyway, and maybe makes the trigger pull more smooth without that locking mechanism (a notch in the firing pin mechanism is not needed with the new gun).  

Based on my Millennium G2 which runs good, hardly ever have a failure. I would say the new version would be OK.

I am more accurate with the M G2 than I was when I first started shooting pistols in DEC 2015 (22 was first pistol).

I bought the Taurus in 2016, $189 with an extra MAG plus tax and background.

I was terrible with it, shot mostly low and left a good 8 to 12 inches off target at even 15 feet. I blamed my shooting on the long trigger pull (or the gun).  Now I don't notice that and surely my troubles were my own lack of skills (skills have improved -- not an expert). 

I would not consider it a target Competition Pistol, but plenty good for Defense (12 +1 rounds is comfortable to know also).  And they are around for like $189 as minimum (G2C also) .