An Educated choice in a first Handgun

Hey guys,

I've lurked off and on for a bit and have been contemplating on purchasing my first firearm, and after my ample research and polling, I've had a particular pistol catch my eye and I've found a reputable reseller through gunbroker that will ship to a local FFL, I just thought I'd open this up to a public forum. That handgun, is the Jericho 941 by IMI.

Now from a practicality standpoint I know this is off the wall. Cowboy Bebop references aside, this handgun was used by Israeli special forces, uses CZ mags, and has the ability to swap barrels to rechamber in 41 AE. While yes, nobody shoots 41 AE, its unique and packs a punch. It's a bit heavier, but has a really nice grip and shoots pretty accurately.

Now insight into me, I'm an engineer and tinkerer by nature, I've grown up around firearms my entire life, shot several, cleaned several, passed by Concealed Carry, but have never owned a firearm other than a shotgun.

Now I open up the floor to you guys as a review, with all my research and effort into vetting this as a first gun, do you guys recommend?

jericho.jpg

5 hours ago, RatchetyClank said:

Do you have that as a script for "First gun" posts?

I get the reasoning behind the Glock 19, but can I get a bit more input as to why?

Welcome to TGO.

Glocks are indeed a popular choice around here. I've carried one for a couple of decades...but I am hesitant to recommend one as an initial firearms purchase to someone even as much as I prefer them. The reasons could be a thread in and of itself and the opinions can run all over the road...but from a "new handgun owner" standpoint, the safety standpoint of a double action trigger mechanism has much to offer. Once you learn the first double action pull (it's not difficult) you'll find (generally) a very nice smooth single action pull. jmho

I've never owned but have run a 941, CZ 75, and similar handguns several times back in the early to mid 1990's. I liked the concept of the .41 AE iirc a 170 gr bullet at around 1200 (+) fps. But that ammo is hard to find, to the best of my knowledge very expensive, and offers nothing useful from a self defense standpoint. A person would probably need to have some handloading experience to make use of this round.

9mm? It's certainly my choice for self defense. But again, opinions vary. ;) I've seen wounds from the majority of handgun calibers over the years, decades actually, and long ago learned that adequate penetration and actually hitting something vital trumps caliber day in and day out...

And that brings us to the question. What are your plans for this particular handgun? Range shooting? Home defense? Concealed carry?

This info will help folks be better able to make suggestions.

I have no knowledge as it relates to factory warranty, durability, nor servicing of the IMI handguns.

Please consider quality professional training. It'll keep you and others safe and shorten the learning curve.

Most of us don't know what we don't know. :)

Good luck and again welcome to TGO.

Jamie

The Jericho is a well-made clone of the CZ75.  I've never heard anything bad about them.  You could certainly have done a lot worse.

The new 9mm self defense loads have a good reputation.  And 9mm target ammo is about as inexpensive as ammo gets these days.  So you should be able to afford to practice a good bit.

Have fun!

• Like 1

Whatever you choose I would encourage you to try several different handguns before you choose one. 

I had a CZ75 clone for many years and it was a great gun.  I chose it without trying it out.  So, great gun but I didn't shoot it much because it just didn't "feel" right to me and I didn't shoot it as well as a Glock or a 1911.  

Good luck and enjoy your new gun whatever you choose.  

• Administrator
2 hours ago, prag said:

And that brings us to the question. What are your plans for this particular handgun? Range shooting? Home defense? Concealed carry?

This info will help folks be better able to make suggestions.

This is where any recommendations should start. 👍

• Like 4

As an Engineer you know everything is application driven. What is the application for this firearm? It’s a duty size weapon. It should work well as a home defense or range gun, probably bigger than most of us would want for carry.

I’m not big on foreign made guns so I don’t have any experience with these. But I’m just wondering why you would want a clone of a CZ when the CZ is radially available, has a good reputation, and is about the same price?

Everyone has their opinion on a first gun. I use mostly semi-autos for carry, but my headboard gun and the gun I would choose for target shooting is a revolver.

Welcome to TGO, if you stick around here your gun collection will probably grow.

I only know the Jerico by reputation, which is quite good. As already mentioned, the .41 AE is a niche cartridge. Hard to find and expensive. So that really isn't a viable option. If you go semi-auto, 9mm is probably the best choice as ammo is fairly inexpensive and readily available. 

I advise that you find a range that rents guns and try several to find what suits you best.  Many first time gun buyers end you buying something else later as their first one wasn't quite right for them. That's learning the hard way. 

For a beginner, its hard to beat the simplicity of a good double action revolver. Also for the beginner, buying a good .22 first is a good idea. Ammo is cheap, you can practice a lot and get the basic fundamentals of shooting down before moving on. Besides, you'll end up buying another gun before long anyway. That's just the way it works.  :rolleyes:

I bought a Jericho 941 Kit back in the '90s. It had both the 9mm and 41AE barrels and mags. I still have it. Haven't shot it in years, and probably should try to sell it. I actually very likely won't.

It's a fairly heavy pistol, especially by todays standards, but it is easy to shoot, and in 9 is very pleasant. Changing to the 41, it becomes a bit harder shooting. Not terrible, but noticably different from the 9.

When I purchased this pistol, iirc, the 41AE ammo was around 16/18 per 50 rounds.Then 60%+ higher than traditional 9mm. I bought several boxes at a time, until I had around 1500 rounds put away. I probably have 1000 left. Only a few of the Samson and IWI boxes remain intact. Most of it is in ammo cans.

Last year, I purchased a Jericho 45 in the "compact" frame. I like it. Not my favorite non-1911 45, but it's still with me.

Guess what I'm saying is that the Jericho line, while being built like tanks, are quite good; and have a certain beauty all their own. I don't think it would be my choice for a first time buyer. Unless you got a great price, or it just reached out and grabbed you and wouldn't let you put it down.

That's happened to me...many times. lol

And welcome to TGO, Ratchetyclank.

• Like 2

I have a IMI Jericho 941 Compact (Magnum Research Baby Eagle branded). I bought it because IMO it is the most aesthetically appealing gun I have ever seen. And Cowboy Bebop. The recoil is negligible due to the weight. It is very accurate.

I have never regretted the decision.

I carry a G19. It is the same size as the 941, weighs a lot less and holds a lot more rounds.

To follow up with the majority of you who asked, the guns purpose will be primarily as a range gun/ home defence and I'll probably fiddle with the idea of using it as a carry gun as I know it's a solid, bulky gun. 

Secondly, the 41AE is indeed rare and I'll be grabbing a box or two and will be using the excuse to visit my dad who frequents the forum a bit, for reloading the brass. I need more excuses to see my old man, anyhow. 

I think you guys helped solidify my thoughts and ideas towards this gun and the idea that this would be a good first gun for a not-so-novice individual. Any other followup questions, I'll be happy to answer them. 

I certainly don't see any issue with this as a carry gun. With a purpose made carry belt and a quality holster that matches that belt you should be good to go.

My first concealed carry handgun was a S&W 4" 686 (1986). I followed that up with a Gov. Model 1911 (1990) for several years. Then I discovered Glocks :) I then and still now use Milt Sparks and Kramer belts but have traded my Sparks and Kramer holsters for quality Kydex such as Dale Fricke holsters and DSG (Dark Star Gear) holsters.

Even though you are a "not-so-novice individual" please consider the suggestion for quality professional training. It makes a huge difference...I promise. 

Quality training is more readily available nowadays that at any time in my life, and generally it's available locally, or at the least regionally.

I'll take this opportunity to mention our own @CruelHandLuke aka Randy Harris. Caveat...Randy is a friend, but his well deserved reputation as a quality professional trainer speaks for itself. 

Edited by prag
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

So, I know the OP and know that he is operating on a very limited budget and has not owned any firearms himself.

My advice to him offline was that if he wanted a DA/SA hammer-fired gun, to get a CZ P-07 since the cost is sub $400 and they have good resale value and aftermarket support.  Holsters are relatively easy to come by, magazines aren't difficult to find, and it eats cheap 9mm without any problems.

There aren't many reasons to pick a Jericho unless you are just an enthusiast of Israeli weapons or think it looks cool because of appearances in movies, etc.  He mentioned an anime series.  Anime features aircraft carriers and battleships flying through space, and robots that transform into things.  Japanese cartoons aren't where I am going to find my inspiration to buy a gun.

The idea that it shoots 41AE is almost as esoteric a consideration as the notion of buying a Jericho in the first place.  Literally no one shoots it and I would be shocked to find that ammo on the shelf of many (any?) local stores.  Unless you're bench-loading your own ammo... why would this make sense?

If you want a ridiculous cartridge based on the .10mm/.40SW case, at last go quasi-mainstream with something chambered in 357SIG.

My fear is that he's going to spend what little money he has on a brick that he'll have to carry in a nylon Uncle Mike's holster, and that he won't be able to easily recoup the $500 he plans to spend on it when he gets tired of it and realizes that anything else would have made more sense.

The gun is ridiculous.  Someone else said it wouldn't be their first, or likely second choice for a gun.  I agree.  The only people who would buy this are the people who already have everything else and want a novelty.  And that's probably after they buy a Desert Eagle, which is equally absurd.

I'd skip it.  But what do I know?

• Like 3

Personally, I'd stay mainstream for my first firearm.  Since this might also be the only firearm I am able to purchase, I'd try to meet all the bases of home defense, range and carry. I'd stick to 9mm, because the round is proven, easily found and cheap. That being said, I would pick something along the lines of FNH FNS, Glock 19, or Springfield XD Subcompact.To that list, if I can swallow my pride, I might consider a S&W M&P Compact 2.0.  I love CZ75s, but my hand size is a bit to small for them and I consider them to heavy for carry, even though they the most accurate pistol around.  Just my two cents.

First guns are always a bit emotional it seems. That said there's lots of good advise here. The Jerico is a fine weapon but be aware that you will learn lessons about weight, complexity etc from owning it. You will want another different gun in the near future. There's nothing wrong with that...

• Like 1

I completely agree with a lot of the advice and the topics discussed here. Ultimately the gun caught my eye, and while digging in further to make sure I didn't fall for an aesthetic, I found a solid 9mm handgun, with a solid reputation behind it. It was later then I found that media had taken a liking to the aesthetic with appearances in Fast and Furious, Cowboy Bebop just to name a few.

To address the 41AE round, Dad. It was an idea that I had as an after thought as a cool thing to come down every now and then, shoot and use your reloader. As you stated, it is expensive, and I don't wanna drop money into more than a box or so at a time. If that's alright with you. We don't see each other enough as it is, with me starting my career and all.

I'm very much aware that I'm choosing a less than practical first firearm for everyday carry. If the experience sucks, well lesson learned. I thank you all for your input and advice. I hope you all have a great evening. I'll definitely post pictures.

Edited by RatchetyClank
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team
2 hours ago, RatchetyClank said:

I completely agree with a lot of the advice and the topics discussed here. Ultimately the gun caught my eye, and while digging in further to make sure I didn't fall for an aesthetic, I found a solid 9mm handgun, with a solid reputation behind it. It was later then I found that media had taken a liking to the aesthetic with appearances in Fast and Furious, Cowboy Bebop just to name a few.

To address the 41AE round, Dad. It was an idea that I had as an after thought as a cool thing to come down every now and then, shoot and use your reloader. As you stated, it is expensive, and I don't wanna drop money into more than a box or so at a time. If that's alright with you. We don't see each other enough as it is, with me starting my career and all.

I'm very much aware that I'm choosing a less than practical first firearm for everyday carry. If the experience sucks, well lesson learned. I thank you all for your input and advice. I hope you all have a great evening. I'll definitely post pictures.

Forget about using the reloading press.  

@TGO David has Glock 19 mags coming out of his ears.  

• Like 1

I'm lost, is the OP still going with the Jerico? I'm not as knowledgeable about guns as many here but I had never even heard of 41AE until this thread. In gun stores from TX-FL-TN and parts in between I have never seen this caliber ammo on a shelf. 

Edited by Erik88
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I'm lost, is the OP still going with the Jerico? I'm not as knowledgeable about guns as many here but I had never even heard of 41AE until this thread. In gun stores from TX-FL-TN and parts in between I have never seen this caliber ammo on a shelf. 

That's the plan, the 41AE is going to be a tinkerer thing I mess with later on down the line. It's out of production now, so I'll have to find a box at a gun show or something along those lines.