An Educated choice in a first Handgun

In the end it is all personal choice. I have bought things I regret. Guns, cars, computers, etc.  I can't say alot because within the first few handguns I bought was an Iver Johnson top break .38 S&W. And it was broken to boot. Lol. Repaired it is fun to shoot, but is far from a carry gun or even a 100% reliable gun. 

@RatchetyClank just be aware. Despite as you might, claiming you can't afford a second gun, will not keep you from buying one once you have your first. Lol

• Like 4
10 hours ago, RatchetyClank said:

That's the plan, the 41AE is going to be a tinkerer thing I mess with later on down the line. It's out of production now, so I'll have to find a box at a gun show or something along those lines.

Ya know if you bought a mainstream semi in the mighty .40 you can get 9mm conversion barrels, well at least for some.  

Just something to think about as .41 AE is so obscure it’s not worth dealing with.  There is a reason Jerichos no longer come in that caliber.

For example, and not pushing Glock at all,  9mm barrels are readily available for every model they offer in .40.  You can even get .357 Sig barrels for added variety.  I believe other manufacturer’s pistols offer such versatility.

BTW,  Jerichos, Baby Eagles or whatever you want to call them are excellent pistols.  From a quality and accuracy standpoint, just as good as the CZ’s they are patterned after.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Ya know if you bought a mainstream semi in the mighty .40 you can get 9mm conversion barrels, well at least for some.  

Just something to think about as .41 AE is so obscure it’s not worth dealing with.  There is a reason Jerichos no longer come in that caliber.

For example, and not pushing Glock at all,  9mm barrels are readily available for every model they offer in .40.  You can even get .357 Sig barrels for added variety.  I believe other manufacturer’s pistols offer such versatility.

BTW,  Jerichos, Baby Eagles or whatever you want to call them are excellent pistols.  From a quality and accuracy standpoint, just as good as the CZ’s they are patterned after.

I'm on my 4th IWI/IMI pistol and have great confidence in them all. One of the few I've owned that I can honestly say I have never had an issue with in loading, cycling, ejection, and firing.

From Desert Eagles, to the aforementioned Jericho, they served me well. Yes they all are to some degree, heavier pistols.

They all have been relegated to the position of house gun and range guns. 

Would I willingly give them up...no.

Edited by hipower
18 minutes ago, hipower said:

I'm on my 4th IWI/IMI pistol and have great confidence in them all. One of the few I've owned that I can honestly say I have never had an issue with in loading, cycling, ejection, and firing.

From Desert Eagles, to the aforementioned Jericho, they served me well. Yes they all are to some degree, heavier pistols.

They all have been relegated to the position of house gun and range guns. 

Would I willingly give them up...no.

I have a Baby Eagle in .40 from whenever I bought it,  maybe the year 2000.

It’s built like a tank.  People that say .40 is snappy change their minds after shooting it, lol.  Matter of fact I used it for my HCP class back in the day,  tore one big ragged hole in the target.  

The day before I went to an indoor range as I was out of practice and was using some of those crappy umarex reloads that we’re already old.  Had a total case head separation, sparks flew, gun done but didn’t care.  Onsite smith pulled the case out and I was good to go.  Good thing I wasn’t using my beloved Gen2 G23 at the time, my buddy was shooting it with new ammo I told him to bring.

• Like 1

go to a range and rent/borrow one or two a week until the right one finds you. The nevering quest for that perfect pistol bug bites a lot of people. The 41AE is a slide swap that would cost as much to add as a former M&P or Glock service weapon.  The Jericho is a nice pistol, but IMO cons are heavy, slide height is short and can be harder to manipulate, old over complicated design. You can replace working/wear parts on most striker fire pistols cheap, easy and with tools you can find in your backyard if need be. Same holds true for 1911 models.  I like CZ 75 and clones, fine pistols but fond of the KISS principle and no longer own any. good luck with search and share what you get!  

BTW - If you like to tinker 1911 and Glock/m&p have a a lot of aftermarket options and caliber swaps for some models that keep a hand loader busy. Tinkering minds  handload. 

I think a lot of cats are missing that the Jericho the OP talked about is actually in 9mm, he is speaking of getting a .41AE barrel for it after the fact (those that got the package deal, I am looking at you Hipower) got a good deal. I have a box full of brass just for the day I can find one, or buy Hipower's. But I have been after that for years.

I don't see the Jericho as anything other than an all steel alternative to a Glock. It is not an inferior pistol, it just isn't a Glock. I love mine, I just prefer the Glock.

35 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

I think a lot of cats are missing that the Jericho the OP talked about is actually in 9mm, he is speaking of getting a .41AE barrel for it after the fact (those that got the package deal, I am looking at you Hipower) got a good deal. I have a box full of brass just for the day I can find one, or buy Hipower's. But I have been after that for years.

I don't see the Jericho as anything other than an all steel alternative to a Glock. It is not an inferior pistol, it just isn't a Glock. I love mine, I just prefer the Glock.

You can still buy the brass. That's how to shoot weird ammo anyway. 

https://www.buffaloarms.com/41-action-express-cases-41ae

The Jericho is a CZ clone built like a tank.  Aside from weight, I've never heard anything negative about them.  For those who have real-life first-person experience, have you actually had anything break or had any problems with one?

I've never had one myself.  I have several CZs including an original CZ75.  They are my absolute favorite shooters.

I doubt that a Jericho is a bad choice for a first general-purpose pistol.  Reliability should be above average, recoil will be low, and accuracy should be excellent.

The only practical advice I can give you is to stay away from Promag and TripleK mags.  MecGar are excellent.

2 hours ago, 1gewehr said:

dvice I can give you is to stay away from Promag and TripleK mags.  MecGar are excellent.

Off topic, but does Promag make a decent mag for anything?  I've never had one that worked well for any firearm!

28 minutes ago, Moped said:

Off topic, but does Promag make a decent mag for anything?  I've never had one that worked well for any firearm!

My experience:  Some do, but you have to test them carefully.  Also, if you find a Promag that works well in your gun, that doesn't mean that another Promag for the same gun purchased two years later will be dependable.  I think there may be considerable variation between production lots.

• Like 1

Hey guys, wow. Sorry it took so long to get back to ya. Someone actually sniped the handgun I was looking after. Weeks there were no bids on a particular handgun I'd had my eye on, and boom it's gone. Fate will bite if you sit idle. Well just lets me focus on other things at the moment. I appreciate you guys offering so many varying opinions. Best wishes to all.

If it pleases the court, I'll CONSIDER a glock 19. The Gadget looks kinda cool.

edit: lol I looked at the prices of them, swerve.

Edited by RatchetyClank
  • Administrator
35 minutes ago, RatchetyClank said:

Hey guys, wow. Sorry it took so long to get back to ya. Someone actually sniped the handgun I was looking after. Weeks there were no bids on a particular handgun I'd had my eye on, and boom it's gone. Fate will bite if you sit idle. Well just lets me focus on other things at the moment. I appreciate you guys offering so many varying opinions. Best wishes to all.

If it pleases the court, I'll CONSIDER a glock 19. The Gadget looks kinda cool.

edit: lol I looked at the prices of them, swerve.

Check out the FN 509.   If you like what you see, I'll send you a link to a good deal on them, sub $400.

9 hours ago, TGO David said:

Check out the FN 509.   If you like what you see, I'll send you a link to a good deal on them, sub $400.

Actually, the FNS-9 is a lighter pistol, while being dimensional similar and it can also be purchased new for less than $400. It also comes with three 17 round mags.  I have one and I love it!!!