A big win for Defense Distributed!

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, peejman said:

Metal 3D printers capable of any sort of reasonable accuracy are fairly pricey. 

What's the difference between a 3D printed "firearm" using carbon filled filament and an 80% lower that gets finished with a dremel? 

That is true, but like any new technology, it is advancing rapidly and market forces will bring the price down substantially and fairly quickly. Look at the price of any PC now and compare it to prices for comparably situated systems 5, 10, and 20 years ago. Massive price differences. I bought my first PC in 1997 and a low end system ran me almost $2k. A low end laptop is all of $300 now  

3D printing is about a lot more than just guns, and the ability to manufacture a firearm yourself is about a lot more than just 3D printing  

Now, as far as the difference between the two examples you listed, I can say that it takes much less physical skill with tools to use a 3D printer. My skillset would probably prevent me from producing a useable firearm from an 80% lower. I also most likely couldn’t produce a functional firearm if I had to create the CAD file myself. But I could if all I had to do was download the file that someone else created and fed it into the computer and let the printer do it’s thing. 

The tech isn’t quite there yet, but it will be much faster if the government is kept out of the way.  

31 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

That is true, but like any new technology, it is advancing rapidly and market forces will bring the price down substantially and fairly quickly. Look at the price of any PC now and compare it to prices for comparably situated systems 5, 10, and 20 years ago. Massive price differences. I bought my first PC in 1997 and a low end system ran me almost $2k. A low end laptop is all of $300 now  

3D printing is about a lot more than just guns, and the ability to manufacture a firearm yourself is about a lot more than just 3D printing  

Now, as far as the difference between the two examples you listed, I can say that it takes much less physical skill with tools to use a 3D printer. My skillset would probably prevent me from producing a useable firearm from an 80% lower. I also most likely couldn’t produce a functional firearm if I had to create the CAD file myself. But I could if all I had to do was download the file that someone else created and fed it into the computer and let the printer do it’s thing. 

The tech isn’t quite there yet, but it will be much faster if the government is kept out of the way.  

Whether you invest the time learning to use a dremel or CAD, you end up at the same place.

Free CAD models are available for thousands of objects. If people choose not to pursue IP rights and give their work away, that's their choice. I fail to see the basis for these lawsuits. 

The drama here is because those doing the news stories and those commenting on what can be done are clueless.

Those who have the skill set have had the ability to make fully functioning untraceable firearms for decades. Those that don’t have the skill set have been making zip guns for decades.

I don’t care what they do one way or the other, but there are already laws against all the things they are worried about happening.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Mike, you know that if a democratic president had tweeted out the same thing you'd be criticizing them as well. We can argue that Trump just likes to get out his daily word diarrhea but he shouldn't always get a pass. 

Other than the continuous Trump sucks doctrine you spew, where do you stand on this, Erik?

1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Technology advances, but the laws of physics don't. Guns are just too cheap and too plentiful to go making your own. 

Edited by mikegideon
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Mike, you know that if a democratic president had tweeted out the same thing you'd be criticizing them as well. We can argue that Trump just likes to get out his daily word diarrhea but he shouldn't always get a pass. 

A Democratic president wouldn't have checked with the NRA. I defended Obama A LOT on this forum until he went full anti-gun. But, I guess you don't remember that. It was before you got all your newfound superiority.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Why in the world would a bunch of Democrat politicians be concerned with outside the US? 

Because it cuts down on Fast and Furious gun running operations, what with the cartel being able to just print their guns and all.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Why in the world would a bunch of Democrat politicians be concerned with outside the US? 

I don’t give a damn what politicians on either side of the aisle think about the subject. My interest in it is much larger than their petty squabbles. I’m also not convinced that the attempts by the government to squash the work of DD and others like them, nor the settlement, was partisan in nature. This technology has the potential to be very dangerous to those who seek to hold power over others, regardless of their geographic  location or political views  

Mike, you’re so fixated on partisan hackery. There’s a lot more going on than Democrats vs Republicans. 

Edited by Chucktshoes

Just Google poacher weapons. There is already a booming production of untraceable homemade weapons around the world. They are made out of pipe, car parts, staplers, and pretty much amything else. 3D printing is not going to flood the world with ghost guns. It might allow for printing of accessories like custom rails, stocks, handguards and such. That would be a big plus in my eyes. 

Also at this point a lot of the printed items lack the strength to withstand the pressures. So no one is making a 100% plastic gun any time soon.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Other than the continuous Trump sucks doctrine you spew, where do you stand on this, Erik?

On 3D guns? I think it's awesome. The technology is limited now but will improve. As its been pointed out, its always been legal to make guns at home. Good luck to these people if they think they can regulate the internet. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

On 3D guns? I think it's awesome. The technology is limited now but will improve. As its been pointed out, its always been legal to make guns at home. Good luck to these people if they think they can regulate the internet. 

These people? And, who might these people be? :) 

46 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Thanks for responding.

I see it as a first amendment issue and not a second amendment issue. This company definitely is within their rights to publish and sell the programming for the 3D printers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Thanks for responding.

I see it as a first amendment issue and not a second amendment issue. This company definitely is within their rights to publish and sell the programming for the 3D printers.

You seem to get it.  Maybe those other two will when they quit bickering.  😀

This is not about making guns in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 4