A big win for Defense Distributed!

The gun industry has a vested interest to get this issue under thumb rather than letting open source material mature alongside 3D printing capabilities.  Try to keep that in mind when you hear President Trump consulted with the NRA.  Also, think about how this will matter for firearms in 50 years, not today.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, btq96r said:

The gun industry has a vested interest to get this issue under thumb rather than letting open source material mature alongside 3D printing capabilities.  Try to keep that in mind when you hear President Trump consulted with the NRA.  Also, think about how this will matter for firearms in 50 years, not today.

This could be equated to some of the oil industry reaction to alternative fuels and electric cars. While I don't think gun manufacturers have the same level of power, they coukd still push to kill this. The oil industry bought up lots of patents and companies only to shelve them in order to protect their oil sales. That kept innovation in  those 2 fields at  a standstill for years.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, gjohnsoniv said:

Trump and the NRA also seem to be against this as well so...

I'm not able to make that out yet. If Trump and the NRA are against it, They are wrong.

FWIW, I downloaded the files on the first one before they outlawed them, not that I need a gun with a one shot life.

Edited by mikegideon

Like anything….technology moves on. The link below is where 3D printing is headed. I just retired from the Aerospace industry. Shops have been watching the printing technology very closely. At this point in time it’s very costly and limited in size and material.

Like EDM, Laser, Plasma, Powered Metal, etc, this technology will have things it can be used for and things it can’t. I don’t see it impacting the gun industry anytime soon. Physics and metallurgy are still running the show.

As far as these 3D models go… Anyone that has Catia, Solidworks or any other 3D modeling package has the ability to make a 3D model. 2D Cad Drawings can quickly be turned into 3D models. I have several of them, so I fail to see the big issue here as it pertains to models. Many people seem to think something magical or mystical is happening here; it isn’t.

Boeing uses first FAA-approved 3D-printed parts for the 787

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/11/boeing-faa-approved-3d-printed-metals-787/

2 hours ago, mikegideon said:

I'm not able to make that out yet. If Trump and the NRA are against it, They are wrong.

FWIW, I downloaded the files on the first one before they outlawed them, not that I need a gun with a one shot life.

Nor I, but I'm still concerned that the NRA is involved. Nothing good comes from them sticking their fingers in the pie when the manufacturers and others get concerned. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mikegideon said:

23 minutes ago, gjohnsoniv said:

Nor I, but I'm still concerned that the NRA is involved. Nothing good comes from them sticking their fingers in the pie when the manufacturers and others get concerned. 

White House supports existing law, says 3D guns are already illegal

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/31/politics/trump-3-d-printed-guns/index.html

I have saved plans on a whole bunch of DIY gun stuff from WWII to modern zip guns, and I too downloaded the 3d ones as well.  Wasn't there a thread or link on a AK-47 made from a shovel?  What are they going to do about those???

According to current Federal law, it is illegal to build guns for sale without an FFL, but not to make one for personal use.  You CAN sell DIY guns as long as you don't build them with the intent to sell, I'm ok with that.

45 minutes ago, Omega said:

I have saved plans on a whole bunch of DIY gun stuff from WWII to modern zip guns, and I too downloaded the 3d ones as well.  Wasn't there a thread or link on a AK-47 made from a shovel?  What are they going to do about those???

According to current Federal law, it is illegal to build guns for sale without an FFL, but not to make one for personal use.  You CAN sell DIY guns as long as you don't build them with the intent to sell, I'm ok with that.

Somebody posted DIAS and lightning link plans on the AR15.com Facebook group today, as well as plans to convert a Glock to full auto. This 3D printer hissy is nothing but a ton of BS.

A lot comes down to the fact that you can make the uninformed scared of anything. 

Say "Terrible Ghost Guns are gonna kill your family" and the sheep cower in fear. It is the same tactics used since the first guy became leader of a group. Make the group scared of the unknown and they rely on their "fearless" leader. 

The general public can be blamed as much for swallowing the crap line they get fed. Whatever the issue, use your mind and learn about things so you can make educated choices. People would rather just get their 30 second sound bites from whatever talking head though. No brains needed. 

• Admin Team

The politician is every bit as scared of a single bullet as they are an army.

John Wilkes Booth used a percussion .44 caliber Philadelphia Derringer.  That said, most believe he fired a .41 caliber ball out of the pistol.

McKinley was show twice with a .32 caliber Iver Johnson revolver.

A Browning Model 1910 in .380 kicked off WWI when an assassin used it to kill Archduke Ferdinand. Practically a pocket pistol.

Reagan was shot with a pot metal framed Rohm RG-14 in .22LR.

This isn't about the guns. It's about checking power.

• Like 3

Random thought...

If the pro 2A side is trying to push the opinion that a magazine is an part of the weapon much like any other, and large capacity bans are invalid because of that, what happens if 3D printing of guns are banned....the .gov just took away a (soon enough to be) capacity for citizens to make their own magazines in time of need.

34 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Random thought...

If the pro 2A side is trying to push the opinion that a magazine is an part of the weapon much like any other, and large capacity bans are invalid because of that, what happens if 3D printing of guns are banned....the .gov just took away a (soon enough to be) capacity for citizens to make their own magazines in time of need.

I think any part of a weapon, be it a magazine, barrel, trigger etc, should not have any limits placed on it.  That is one strategy some of the left is trying, and succeeding in some places, with ammo.  But the 3d cat is out of the bag, and there is nothing the .gov can do about it.  Just like they tried to do to Phil Zimmermann with Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) when he allowed free download of some very good encryption software.  They took him to court, but in the end the code was placed on foreign servers, tweaked to use open source algorithm and the .gov dropped their case with no charges, and changed their regs.

Think if these people knew you could build an AK receiver from scratch..

http://jefenry.com/main/AK47Receiver.php

Just like thisShovel AKsomeone else mentioned

http://thechive.com/2012/12/06/apparently-you-can-make-an-ak-47-out-of-just-about-anything-25-photos/

They think criminals are going to make these. Most are just gonna steal, or buy a stolen gun. In general criminals look for a quick job because a lot are lazy.