PSA

So I got my HCP renewal notice a week or two ago, it doesn't expire for another 3 months but figuring I'd get a jump on it, and not forget later, I renewed online.  Process was easy and all, and it arrived fast, but when I checked my new expiration date, they cheated my out of three months.  It's an 8yr permit, so in the long run it doesn't cut that much off, but heck, it still makes me feel cheated.  So if you get your notice, I wouldn't renew until 30 days out if you don't want to lose any time on your old one.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DWARREN123 said:

Go for a life time and don't worry any more. Unless you are like me, 8 years may be a few too many!

Well, $50 gets me 8 years and the lifetime is what $200? Unless it's a dramatic price change, I'd need 32 years to break even, that would put me at 85, it can happen, but by then I'd hope permitless carry will be an option so I roll the dice.

• Like 1

Well I have them about 3 weeks before renewing mine but I was going to half to have a new picture made so I went to DMV and got mine done. In and Out in 25 minutes and got my new one in the mall about 10 days later. I didn't even consider a lifetime since I was getting ready to turn 70 anyway. I'm not expecting to be around when this one expires but with me stranger this have happened.

Of course there is a chance that something could occur that holds up your renewal.  If  that is the case you may find yourself without a permit and unable to carry.  So 3months out of 8 yrs may not be such a big rip-off.  From a math standpoint you are down $1.56.

1 hour ago, Pain103 said:

It probably has to do with your license expiration date. I think they changed it so when you renewed it would be the same day so you may lose some or gain depending on that.  

Nah, the new expiration month is 6 months from my birth month, which is my license expiration month.  It just looks like they used the date of processing for the effective date, and 8 years later on the same day/month for expiration.  It may be because I did it online, and the system just kicked out the dates automatically. 

22 hours ago, Omega said:

PSA

So I got my HCP renewal notice a week or two ago, it doesn't expire for another 3 months but figuring I'd get a jump on it, and not forget later, I renewed online.  Process was easy and all, and it arrived fast, but when I checked my new expiration date, they cheated my out of three months.  It's an 8yr permit, so in the long run it doesn't cut that much off, but heck, it still makes me feel cheated.  So if you get your notice, I wouldn't renew until 30 days out if you don't want to lose any time on your old one.

I got my renewal notice back in late May for a permit that doesn't expire until mid-August.  I've left it alone and don't plan on getting to it until the beginning of August out of worry for that very reason.  Thanks for confirming my suspicions. 

On 7/12/2018 at 10:28 AM, chances R said:

Of course there is a chance that something could occur that holds up your renewal.  If  that is the case you may find yourself without a permit and unable to carry.  So 3months out of 8 yrs may not be such a big rip-off.  From a math standpoint you are down $1.56.

You can use the receipt they gave you when you renewed in person, some form online as well.

It will suffice until the new permit arrives.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Grunt67 said:

You can use the receipt they gave you when you renewed in person, some form online as well.

It will suffice until the new permit arrives.

yes, and easy enough to check in state, but if you travel out of state may not be as simple.  For those that forget to renew and actually let their permit expire they cannot carry even if renewal process has started until they have a valid permit in hand.

41 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Mine doesn't have an expiration date. I figure I paid for convenience more than the permit.

Even if you have a life time it has as expiration date!!!

Edited by bersaguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

You got me there, but I won't need to renew it.

I just got mine renewed back in May but old one didn't expire till August but it was my first renewal and knowing how things work, if I waited till last minute I would either forget to do it or they would screw it up so I will give them 2 months. My SIL got his lifetime and asked if I was going to get one and I said Nope!! He said Why not and I said because I don't have a lifetime left!!!!! 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Eray said:

I went ahead and got a lifetime renewal at age 65. I was afraid they might not let me leave the nursing home to go renew it eight years from now.

I did the same at 60. Similar reasoning...lol