Reply to Being banned from TGO

Several weeks ago, moderator Chucktshoes, chose to ban me from TGO, for a post I made in the politics forum. I have been on this Earth 74 1/2 years, and have never been accused of any of the things he outright accused me of saying.

My "words, as he phrased it, were taken straight from Google. If anyone has an issue with the "words" , talk to Google.

As to hating Jews, I have a close friend who is Jewish, and we have breakfast every am @ Mc Donalds in Hartsville. He is also a Navy veteran. We have no issues. As for racist, I have several friends who are black. One a TN State Trooper that I would take a bullet for, and he would me.

Chucktshoes, what you said is a lie. I would like to see you be man enough to admit it, but not likely.

If you or anyone else wants to delete this before it gets viewed, or ban me permanently, be my guest. My conscience is clear.

I know who I am & what I am. You do not know me at all. No one that knows me will agree with your statement. I think I stepped on your ego a bit when I didn't agree with you, and you made it personal. Maybe not, but you were terribly wrong.

Do as you wish...........

I understand the desire to clear your name but me thinks this probably could have been handled better via private message. I went to your post history and couldn't find when this was or what thread this happened in. If you're going to make this public, let's see what was said. I've known Chuckie a long time, he doesn't typically throw out baseless accusations. 

3 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I understand the desire to clear your name but me thinks this probably could have been handled better via private message. I went to your post history and couldn't find when this was or what thread this happened in. If you're going to make this public, let's see what was said. I've known Chuckie a long time, he doesn't typically throw out baseless accusations. 

I agree, but since he chose not to go the PM route, neither did I.

BTW, the thread was deleted, so no record, I guess.

Edited by Grunt67

If there was a misunderstanding of what you intended to write, the classy way to handle it would have been a private message and a calm expression of what you had meant to convey.  That could conceivably have led to a better mutual understanding between you two, and perhaps a reinstatement on the forum.  Calling a  a man a liar on a public forum probably won't accomplish either of those things. 

I'll continue to hope things can be resolved without hard feelings.  There's enough alienation and friction in the world already.

Whisper

14 minutes ago, Whisper said:

If there was a misunderstanding of what you intended to write, the classy way to handle it would have been a private message and a calm expression of what you had meant to convey.  That could conceivably have led to a better mutual understanding between you two, and perhaps a reinstatement on the forum.  Calling a  a man a liar on a public forum probably won't accomplish either of those things. 

I'll continue to hope things can be resolved without hard feelings.  There's enough alienation and friction in the world already.

Whisper

I don't know if you can send a PM when you are banned.

39 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Whisper

Apparently you did not see the things he called me. I responded in kind. I hope it can be resolved, if not, I'll move on. I'm not a PC type person, & I stand my ground. I am not the person Chucktshoes claimed me to be, regardless of his interpretation.

• Admin Team

Our moderators have been chosen because of the sum of their judgement and experience.  

We supported and continue to support that call, as we will not support racist or discriminatory views - either directly or implied on TGO. 

In this particular case the warning served to give a temporary reminder (to the individual and the community) that rhetoric matters.  

Please remember that.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Our moderators have been chosen because of the sum of their judgement and experience.  

We supported and continue to support that call, as we will not support racist or discriminatory views - either directly or implied on TGO. 

In this particular case the warning served to give a temporary reminder (to the individual and the community) that rhetoric matters.  

Please remember that.

Mac, I guess I'm confused here. On the " where to go in Maine"  thread, Chucktshoes referred to Canadians crossing the border as " Snow Mexicans".  Is this OK?

31 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

Mac, I guess I'm confused here. On the " where to go in Maine"  thread, Chucktshoes referred to Canadians crossing the border as " Snow Mexicans".  Is this OK?

That was a response to my remarks about Canadians crossing the border. It was a joke and I think everyone took it that way. Sorry if I offended any Canadians. Don’t be mad..... eh.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators

@Grunt67 first of all, I am glad you have decided to return. I did and still do believe that you do provide (and hopefully receive) value in this community. 

I stand by the call I made. Your posts in that thread were unacceptable. Where I did err was not addressing the subject privately. Not because it should always be handled so, but because in retrospect I believe it would have better served you and the community as a whole to do so. It would have avoided the ugliness then and prevented the existence of this thread altogether. For that I apologize.

With the view of not making the same mistake twice, if you would like to discuss the circumstances of the prior incident, please PM me and I will be happy to discuss it with you. 

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

@Grunt67 first of all, I am glad you have decided to return. I did and still do believe that you do provide (and hopefully receive) value in this community. 

I stand by the call I made. Your posts in that thread were unacceptable. Where I did err was not addressing the subject privately. Not because it should always be handled so, but because in retrospect I believe it would have better served you and the community as a whole to do so. It would have avoided the ugliness then and prevented the existence of this thread altogether. For that I apologize.

With the view of not making the same mistake twice, if you would like to discuss the circumstances of the prior incident, please PM me and I will be happy to discuss it with you. 

PM would have been better, I agree. Apology accepted.  I prefer not to discuss the matter any further, & let it drop.

Tks, Larry

• Like 8
  • Administrator

Just for the record and future reference since this thread seems to have taken a productive turn:

Typically I do not tolerate this sort of thread being posted to take a moderator to task for their actions.  In the future, if I get to a thread like this before another moderator does, I will ban the person responsible for it without question, without second chance, and certainly without a PM.

As MacGyver said, we trust our moderators.  If they make a mistake, they generally own it and we fix the problem.  But TGO is not a democracy and mob-rule does not hold water here.  I won't tolerate it and I won't allow the 100% volunteer staff to be called-down publicly by someone that they moderated for doing what they felt was out of line with our forum Rules.

This might be a good place for me to post these links, for everyone's benefit.  They appear at the bottom of every page.

• Like 9
  • Administrator
20 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

I love the staff here. I love this site. It is the most professional and properly run of all sites I frequent. Including my own. I ban volunteers on April 1st and don't explain why...

That's pretty damned funny!  Years ago I ran a forum for performance car enthusiasts here in Nashville.  Halloween and New Years Eve parties with the moderating team meant "drunken bannings" which were exactly what they sounded like.  Folks got their avatars changed to some really questionable things, temporarily, during the process.

It was all in good fun and the members absolutely loved it.

Of course, that was back before my kids and before I was trying to be a responsible adult.  :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't remember that being a responsible adult time in my life. Must have been a long time ago. My daughter says I never had a time of being one. My son said he remembers it well. Said it lasted almost a week. They still argue over when it was and they try and drag me into it and I keep telling them they are acting like children.....:clap: 

• Like 1

I've always found it interesting on one of the ILLannoy gun forums how little appreciation the spirit of the First Amendment gets, when the Second is continually obsessed over.  They say it's a "family friendly" site, though I doubt if anyone under adult age has ever been on it.  You can't even use the word "hell."    It defaults to "heck."    It's nice that this TN site seems to be for adults, though having missed all of the now-deleted offending thread I don't actually know why Grunt67 got in trouble. 

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

I've always found it interesting on one of the ILLannoy gun forums how little appreciation the spirit of the First Amendment gets, when the Second is continually obsessed over.  

The thing is, though, the Constitution protects us from the government infringing on our rights to free speech, to bear arms, etc.  The laws of private property supersede them in certain cases, and web sites are private property.

Just as a person has a right to forbid you from carrying a gun onto their private property, a web site has the right to forbid a person from using the full array of words in the language.  :)

• Like 4

I understand that.  I went through law school nearly 40 years ago.  That was why I used the word "spirit." 

My wife has a friend who literally has a "no guns allowed" sign on the front door of her house.    I know that's totally allowed, but it sure doesn't seem smart!

• Like 2
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, QuackerSmacker said:

I understand that.  I went through law school nearly 40 years ago.  That was why I used the word "spirit." 

My wife has a friend who literally has a "no guns allowed" sign on the front door of her house.    I know that's totally allowed, but it sure doesn't seem smart!

The No guns allowed sign is very smart. Because that will deter all thieves, once they see that sign they will just shrug their shoulders and go somewhere else. Wait............... I'm not even sure why my keypad allowed me to even type something like that. 

Edited by TripleGGG

Well in most every mass shooting the person owning and operating the place was evidently not to smart because about 95% of them also had no gun signs up but it didn't stop the bad guys going in with their guns did it?  In MY HUMBLE OPINION the signs are an invitation or a welcome mat for the bad guys.

Back years ago I had a friend that owned an auto repair center and his business was much larger than his building and he had to leave customers cars out side under security lights. It didn't stop the thieves from stealing Mag wheels, Stereos and anything else of value they could find. His insurance company told him 1 more hit and they would be dropping him.

We were talking about it and I told him to hire some security and he said it would cost to much on top of his insurance and I told him the Security would be worth more than the insurance if he got the right kind. He said oh yea , what kind and I told him I would have a guy stop by and talk to him.

That Monday morning an off duty Metro Police officer stopped by and had a talk with my buddy. He said he would supply him with all the security he needed for $100.00 a night and it would cost him $200.00 a week plus the new signs. Big signs in all three of his front windows that read. ARMED SECURITY ON DUTY 2 NIGHTS A WEEK!! BAD GUYS PICK THE NIGHTS?? Well things we fine for about a month and a black van pulled onto the lot and 3 guys jumped out heading for cars. Well they picked the wrong night. The Metro police officer had all three in cuffs and the van was caught two miles away by a squad car that was coming to back the officer up that radioed in for back up and put out a description of the van leaving the scene. Them 4 young men from Kentucky just picked the wrong night. Signs work when you have good guys with guns backing them up. He was parked in the lot next door in his unmarked Squad car with smoked windows. When he climbed out he had his shotgun with him.

My friend never had another issue with thieves and signs stayed up till he closed down 12 years later. The officer made sure it made the news without using any names but did give the location where the bad guys were arrested. My buddy said it was the best $700.00 he ever spent. The officer only worked 7 nights and he picked the nights before he caught them. 

Now let me also add that this was back when Metro Police officers could legally moonlight without getting in trouble for it.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:33 PM, TGO David said:

That's pretty damned funny!  Years ago I ran a forum for performance car enthusiasts here in Nashville.  Halloween and New Years Eve parties with the moderating team meant "drunken bannings" which were exactly what they sounded like.  Folks got their avatars changed to some really questionable things, temporarily, during the process.

It was all in good fun and the members absolutely loved it.

Of course, that was back before my kids and before I was trying to be a responsible adult.  :)

I am pretty old now, and I have been in that community for long enough that noobs could legally buy alcohol now... I refuse to be a responsible adult. Facts notwithstanding. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, QuackerSmacker said:

SHEESH, even i know the target audience for aforementioned sign is the bad guys