Ruger LCP

Moped

Just picked one up on auction this week. Used, in the box, but looks like it has never been fired.  Anything I need to know about them?  Best place to get an extra mag for it?  I already I figure it's not going to be a fun gun at the range.  Any thoughts on a concealed carry belt holster for one?  I've been pocket carrying a Keltec P32 and the holster for it, fits the LCP.  They are virtually the same pistol, but the LCP is a little beefer and has a better quality finish.  But it only cost me $27 more. :)

• Like 1

I will answer this  with specifics at some point over the weekend.   There are Hogue grips that make the LCP immensely better to shoot, and you can put in a  better recoil spring that will make the gun feel vastly better.   You can make this snappy pain-in-the-ass  thing that you don't want to shoot into something that is actually ok to shoot.  That is as good as it will get.  Shooting the LCP will never be fun, but at least it can be made to tolerable.

Edited by QuackerSmacker
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, QuackerSmacker said:

I will answer this  with specifics at some point over the weekend.   There are Hogue grips that make the LCP immensely better to shoot, and you can put in a  better recoil spring that will make the gun feel vastly better.   You can make this snappy pain-in-the-ass  thing that you don't want to shoot into something that is actually ok to shoot.  That is as good as it will get.  Shooting the LCP will never be fun, but at least it can be made to tolerable.

Can't wait to see what you have to say!!! :)

12 hours ago, peejman said:

It's not bad to shoot. You won't want to put 300 rds through it in one session, but it's not bad. The 8 rd mag helps a bit. 

I mostly pocket carry it but also have a belt holster made by @gjohnsoniv 

I had gjohnsoniv make a holster for my Taurus .357 Tracker.  QUALITY WORK!!!  Haven't seen 8 round mags for this yet.  I will have to google better, I guess!

Edited by Moped

I have shot my LCP in a BUG match, 50 rounds.  Not that big a deal.  Shoot it ocassionaly, but I bought it to carry, not to run a bunch of rounds through.  There are guns made for carrying, guns made for shooting.  Personally I wouldn't waste any money trying to make a silk purse out of a cow's ear.  The nemesis holster or sticky holster are good for pocket carry.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Moped said:

Can't wait to see what you have to say!!! :)

The other items are both from Galloway.  The 13 lb recoil spring really helps with the muzzle flip and perceived recoil, and while you're at it you might as well put in a stainless steel guide rod.  Here's the link:

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lcp/

These plus the Hogue grip sleeve will greatly enhance your LCP shooting experience!

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, QuackerSmacker said:

The other items are both from Galloway.  The 13 lb recoil spring really helps with the muzzle flip and perceived recoil, and while you're at it you might as well put in a stainless steel guide rod.  Here's the link:

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/lcp/

These plus the Hogue grip sleeve will greatly enhance your LCP shooting experience!

Also, note that there are different recoil springs for the LCP  and the LCP2.  Not sure which model you have, but Galloway makes springs for both.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mikegideon said:

I can hit stuff with mine. Doesn't bother me to shoot it either with the little finger extension on the mag. I rarely carry mine. It stays in the glove box.

So what distances do you practice with it?  I can't see it being much more than a 15 yard pistol.  Mostly practice with these little handguns at 7 yards though.

1 hour ago, Moped said:

So what distances do you practice with it?  I can't see it being much more than a 15 yard pistol.  Mostly practice with these little handguns at 7 yards though.

It's at shorter ranges. Been a good while since I shot it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Moped said:

It would find it a stretch at 15 yards without a ton of practice at that range. I don't think that the LCP was made with that kind of accuracy in mind. I would think 7 yards would be a much more realistic a range to practice at..............JMHO

• Like 1
5 hours ago, bersaguy said:

It would find it a stretch at 15 yards without a ton of practice at that range. I don't think that the LCP was made with that kind of accuracy in mind. I would think 7 yards would be a much more realistic a range to practice at..............JMHO

15 yds? More like 2 yds. It's a "get off me" gun. I rarely practice with it using a 2 hand grip. I assume I'll either have a little one by the other hand or be pushing someone away. 

• Like 1

statiscally one is going to be shooting in self-defense under 5 yds.  It is a carry gun.  One can carry larger guns for the possibility of longer ranges or higher capacity....neither a bad thing.  But for simplicity and convience the LCP leads the way....and it's better than a sharp stick.

• Like 1

If you bought the original LCP, I'd recommend getting rid of it and getting the later version with better sights...or better yet get an LCP-II. I was an early adopter of the LCP (as you can probably tell from my avatar and my forum name), but I always hated the sights. The trigger was something you had to get used to, but if you shot it enough, you could overcome that. The sights, on the other hand, were always a challenge for me...they are so low profile that in low light and/or shooting a dark target, my older eyes were challenged to find them. I finally upgraded to the LCP-II for much better sights and a better trigger.  

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, LCPfraTN said:

If you bought the original LCP, I'd recommend getting rid of it and getting the later version with better sights...or better yet get an LCP-II. I was an early adopter of the LCP (as you can probably tell from my avatar and my forum name), but I always hated the sights. The trigger was something you had to get used to, but if you shot it enough, you could overcome that. The sights, on the other hand, were always a challenge for me...they are so low profile that in low light and/or shooting a dark target, my older eyes were challenged to find them. I finally upgraded to the LCP-II for much better sights and a better trigger.  

I have an LCP that I purchased about 2008, not exactly sure of that though. Anyway, I ran across it in a shop in Smyrna, and it walked home with me. lol

I did get it with a Crimson Trace laser and find it adequate for any close range work. I carried it until I discovered the Shield, and since, the LCP gets little use. I'll take it out and fire a mag thru it several times a year, just to keep familiar with it.

Nice little pocket pistols, I just prefer the Shield more.

I really ought to sell the LCP, but too much in it to feel comfortable with what it would bring. So it's a backup these days.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, hipower said:

I have an LCP that I purchased about 2008, not exactly sure of that though. Anyway, I ran across it in a shop in Smyrna, and it walked home with me. lol

I did get it with a Crimson Trace laser and find it adequate for any close range work. I carried it until I discovered the Shield, and since, the LCP gets little use. I'll take it out and fire a mag thru it several times a year, just to keep familiar with it.

Nice little pocket pistols, I just prefer the Shield more.

I really ought to sell the LCP, but too much in it to feel comfortable with what it would bring. So it's a backup these days.

I've got a Shield too, but I mostly pocket carry, so I still prefer the smaller 380s. And you are correct about what an original used LCP would currently bring...not much. I actually got rid of mine several years ago and got close to what I paid for it then. I just recently bought the LCP-II, and have been using a S&W Bodyguard 380 in the interim, which is also a nice pistol.

• Like 1

IMO keep the LCP.  I have a Shield that is primary carry.  But sometimes, especially based on what I wear, the LCP is the better option.  Yes, the LCP II has better everything, but to be real, in most cases of self defense it won't matter.  You probalby won't be using sights, trigger same, and if you do shoot to slide lock probably won't have an extra mag.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, chances R said:

IMO keep the LCP.  I have a Shield that is primary carry.  But sometimes, especially based on what I wear, the LCP is the better option.  Yes, the LCP II has better everything, but to be real, in most cases of self defense it won't matter.  You probalby won't be using sights, trigger same, and if you do shoot to slide lock probably won't have an extra mag.

I always carry an extra mag for my P32.  And when I get the LCP out of lay-a-way, I will purchase an extra mag for it too.  Which brings up another question.   I use a leather pocket holster for my P32 in the right front pocket and I just put the extra mag in my left front pocket with my keys and pocket knife of the day.  Any of you all carry an extra mag in a pocket holster or do you just put in your front pocket?