Gerber Covert Auto vs Others?

• Moderators

I have in mind to purchase a new knife. I've been carrying a SOG Trident on and off for about 11 years. Overall, it's held up well; I just want something different.

https://www.gerbergear.com/Knives/Automatic/Covert-Auto-Tactical-Grey-Black-Oxide-Fine-Edge_30-001306

I think I want that. It isn't too outrageously expensive. Automatic, SV30 steel. I like the handle/blade profile.  I think I want a straight edge blade with no serrations, I've had serrations on my SOG and generally always wished I had something without. You can get the above knife for about $125 online.

I'm posting this for two-fold:

• Are Gerber's Auto knives known for being high quality?
  • What other similar options should I consider?

I know Benchmade has a similar knife based on a Pardue design:

http://www.benchmade.com/automatic-knives/stimulus-family.html

I'd be interested in it as well, more expensive. Shorter blade, 154CM steel. Likely higher quality overall, unsure?

I'm not 100% fixed on getting an auto, assisted would likely be just as handy. Just curious and open to suggestions.

I have  bunch of autos and a bunch of spring assisted. I always wind up carrying one of my manual frame locks. To each his own. I just never find myself wishing for a spring, and have no complaints with slow deployment.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to own the Gerber too. :) 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I used to have one of the Covert assisted models. 

For long term quality, reliability, and value  I’d choose something other than the Gerber.  

That's to an extent what I feared. I've read that the assisted ("FAST") models are I believe Chinese manufactured. Their autos are supposed to be USA manufactured and higher quality. But I might as well stick to a brand known better for high quality.

Edited by CZ9MM
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Mine also. No drama with shipping auto knives. I just wish they were closer.

Their prices are always good enough that it's worth the trade-off. I usually try to go Priority Mail from that far away. 2 days from pretty much anywhere.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Moped said:

Looks like a nice knife, with the exception of one thing.  All the ones they have at SMKW are serrated.  Can't you get a non serrated blade in these?

Yes. Can get non serrated versions. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

No update, so, if you haven't purchased a knife yet..... I would suggest you go to one of the gun stores to look at any knives they might have.  I know they just about all carry Benchmade.  I have a Griptillian, but for carry, I like the mini-Barrage spring assist.  It is small enough to be easy to carry and accessible.  My arthritic hands like it even better than the Griptillian.  Knives are like everything else (to each his own,) and they can be expensive.  Good luck in your search for that special knife.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/13/2018 at 9:57 AM, GlockSpock said:

I have in mind to purchase a new knife. I've been carrying a SOG Trident on and off for about 11 years. Overall, it's held up well; I just want something different.

https://www.gerbergear.com/Knives/Automatic/Covert-Auto-Tactical-Grey-Black-Oxide-Fine-Edge_30-001306

I think I want that. It isn't too outrageously expensive. Automatic, SV30 steel. I like the handle/blade profile.  I think I want a straight edge blade with no serrations, I've had serrations on my SOG and generally always wished I had something without. You can get the above knife for about $125 online.

I'm posting this for two-fold:

• Are Gerber's Auto knives known for being high quality?
  • What other similar options should I consider?

I know Benchmade has a similar knife based on a Pardue design:

http://www.benchmade.com/automatic-knives/stimulus-family.html

I'd be interested in it as well, more expensive. Shorter blade, 154CM steel. Likely higher quality overall, unsure?

I'm not 100% fixed on getting an auto, assisted would likely be just as handy. Just curious and open to suggestions.

I have a Buck conversion (500 Duke) I'm very fond of. Now Buck is making automatics themselves. (112) However if you want a double edge tactical knife, I would seriously consider Microtech.

Edited by ChanceMcCall

I have a covert auto I carry occasionally, unless you are planning on getting in a knife fight its mostly useless.  Have owned lots of different autos but my favorite is the microtech LUDT.  By far.....

If you want to go cheap the Boker AK47's for the money are impossible to beat

Microtech service used to be sketchy as heck, recently sent my over the mountain to NC and return was very fast (and free).