REAL ESTATE AGENT

Going to be in the Knoxville area next month looking for a retirement property (less than a year now!) if any one has recommendations for agents or places to live would be greatly appreciated. My wife would still be working for several years, so close to Knoxville is needed.

I used Glen Cornell with Woody Creek Realty. He was great to work with. I'm sure everyone will have a different recommendation. The thing to be aware of is that the market in Knoxville(and much of the country) is moving really fast. A lot of houses are ending up with multiple offers and a bidding war scenario. Be prepared to move fast on a listing you like.

http://woodycreekrealty.com/about-woody-creek-realty/

Call Glenn Cornell (865) 777-1700 or email glenn.cornell@woodycreekrealty.com

Edited by Erik88

I have a friend that is in real estate business here locally and he is telling anyone that might be looking to buy a new home to go now and get pre-approved for a mortage loan and make sure you keep it updated so when you find a place you want you can buy it on the spot before someone else buys it out from under you. He said right now here in Tennessee and Kentucky it's dog eat dog in their business.

Edited by bersaguy
On 7/14/2018 at 11:30 AM, bersaguy said:

I have a friend that is in real estate business here locally and he is telling anyone that might be looking to buy a new home to go now and get pre-approved for a mortage loan and make sure you keep it updated so when you find a place you want you can buy it on the spot before someone else buys it out from under you. He said right now here in Tennessee and Kentucky it's dog eat dog in their business.

I bought my house three years ago slightly undermarket. I have had my realtor call me at least a dozen times telling me we could list it for 70% more than I paid and have it sold in a week.

I like my house, and I don't want to go looking for another one.

Well hello there Knifemaker, where 'bouts in Yankee'dom you hailing from? Originally from Buffalo/Rochester area myself, moved down here 3 years ago. It's been great! We're living a little outside Knox, west side on Watt's Bar lake, but I commute to town for work, it's not too bad.

Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Would HIGHLY recommend visiting this area to get to know the area's, the suburbs are all a little different, each with it's own charm, and it would suck to relocate 800 miles, only to wish you'd bought on the other side of town.

- Kevin

We have been down to Knoxville area bunch of times, and the last few times just touring all the different towns as best we could trying to get a feel for the area. Time to dive in I guess, right now thinking about Powell ,Maryville, Oakridge area and up towards Norris. Yes they all seemed a little different, established, up and coming and more rural. Make the best choice possible its always a bit of a roll of the dice. Was thinking if we find a place that calls out to us will put on nice shirt and visit new neighbors, say hello before we buy.

Oh yes we are from downstate NY, Long Island area, really starting to hate it down here. Just to much BS.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, aknifemaker said:

We have been down to Knoxville area bunch of times, and the last few times just touring all the different towns as best we could trying to get a feel for the area. Time to dive in I guess, right now thinking about Powell ,Maryville, Oakridge area and up towards Norris. Yes they all seemed a little different, established, up and coming and more rural. Make the best choice possible its always a bit of a roll of the dice. Was thinking if we find a place that calls out to us will put on nice shirt and visit new neighbors, say hello before we buy.

Oh yes we are from downstate NY, Long Island area, really starting to hate it down here. Just to much BS.

My little brother lives in Central Islip. You’re in for a world of change. Forget about feeling like you moved to a different state or country, it’s gonna be like moving to a different planet. 

LOL@ Different planet.

It's funny, takes a while to get used to everyone waving, and the first few times someone chat's you up at the grocery store will be unsettling. It  is a nice change of pace, though. Learned to slow down and take it easy real quick. The left-lane drivers will make you nuts, however.

We looked at Southern Blount county area (near Maryville), gorgeous views, still some good land available 'cheap'. Oak Ridge is more urbanized and older, so it's a different environment than the surrounding towns. If you make a trip down again give a shout and we'll get lunch! I actually found a fair pizza place in Oak Ridge w/ a former NY'er behind the counter. Little Nicky's got a decent NYC style pie.

- K

Definitely different in Tennessee but better, like it should be people are friendly and nice.

We stopped in a fast food place couple of years ago (Mcdonalds) and walked up to the counter to place our order,  the girl said they would bring it over to us when it was ready! took a minute and she apologized for taking so long! when we finished eating a kid came over and cleared our table for us WTF. Workers doing more than their jobs unheard of now days.

I like Tennessee!

And you can carry a gun.

Coming down in August give you a shout.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, aknifemaker said:

Definitely different in Tennessee but better, like it should be people are friendly and nice.

We stopped in a fast food place couple of years ago (Mcdonalds) and walked up to the counter to place our order,  the girl said they would bring it over to us when it was ready! took a minute and she apologized for taking so long! when we finished eating a kid came over and cleared our table for us WTF. Workers doing more than their jobs unheard of now days.

I like Tennessee!

And you can carry a gun.

Coming down in August give you a shout.

Stop at the state border and wipe your shoes off, please.  :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
43 minutes ago, aknifemaker said:

Wipe off my shoes, I usually stop in Bristol and take a shower to get the liberal stench off me!

😂

I've known several people who have moved here from up North. They legitimately could not understand some people with a thick southern accent. I'd recommend watching Deliverance a few times to brush up on your country. 😉

• Haha 1

This is a little long and a little old but still remains of many country folks. Back in about 1970 a guy came down from New Jersey. His last name was Harris. He purchased 150 acres of prime timber and hunting land and he posted all of it with no trespassing signs and no hunting signs and he had a smaller camper type living quarters placed on the land. At the time he had the only posted private land in that whole area and when hunting season came people went hunting and those signs didn't slow them down. The people hunting that land had been hunting that land for generations.

Well there was a local man and his two sons where hunting one moring after a snowfall and Mr. Harris had come in before the snow and was staying in that little camper. He heard gun shots so he goes out to investigate what it was and the father and 2 sons had 3 deer down and we dragging them back to the old pick up truck. Mr Harris saw them off in the distance and hollered for them to stop. The father told his two sone to keep dragging and he began to drop back slowly. Mr Harris was moving towards them and he hollered again for them to stop and just about that time a gunshot went off and a small tree limb fell right next to Mr Harris. He turned around and began going back the way he came and the man went back and joined up with his 2 sons and they loaded their deer in the truck and left.

The truck was to far away for Mr Harris to tell what brand it was and all he had was a Royal blue color to report to the police. Police ran all over the roads for 20 square miles looking for a truck matching the description given and they didn't find anything. About noon the pedestrian door of the mans garage opened up and the local game warden walked in while the man and his 2 sons where still processing the deer.  A conversation took place between the warden and the man. The game warden left and nothing ever came of that incident.

The game warden spoke to the sheriff and the sheriff called off the search for the truck. The Sheriff, the game warden and Mr Harris went into a room to discuss the days events. It was explained to Mr Harris that the land he purchased had been hunted by the local folks in that area for several generations and that deer hunting mean't many families would have meat for the year that otherwise would not.

Mr Harris was still not phased and said the man shot at him and could have killed him. The game warden looked at Mr Harris and said if the man would have wanted you dead you would be dead. He just wanted to you to leave them alone. Mr Harris said then you know who it is and they said yes and no, we are not going to arrest him. Harris was ferious until the game warden told him he started this fight with those signs and he will contnue to have these issues in the future because unless he wants to hire private security to protect his land he will have people hunting it. I was gone when all of this had happened but was sitting around one day after I got home and was talking to one of the mans sons that was with him that day that I had went to school with. His father had died of a heart attack a few years later.

I never did find out what ever happened to Mr. Harris other than there is a road that leads off the main road named after him.

I don't condone the actions of the man and his sons for their actions but it all started because an outsider that had grown up in a complete different lifestyle and beliefs had came into an area without taking the time to learn the lifestyles of who would one day be his neighbors and began to try and change the lifestyles of his new neighbors...............JMHO

My recommendation, don't use one at all.

I understand not being from the area and maybe wanting someone who knows to take you around, but with everything available on the internet now, I would create a list of houses I wanted to see and make an appointment with each individual selling agent.

I will disclose that I dislike real estate agents and have no real use for them.  I don't see the value, but know it is an intimidating process for some so I don't care if someone wants to use one, just realize you are paying for it.

With that said, the basics are any listed home has a seller and buyers agent fee percentage.  Typically this is 3% to each for a total of 6%, but can vary from 1% to 3% each depending.   The way I look at it is that I can represent myself as a buyer.  I can make an appointment to look at any house I want with the sellers agent.   If I like a house, I immediately take 3% off the top of any price I may consider offering as they do not have to pay a buyer's agent.  This can be a fair amount of money.  They love people that don't understand these items so they can double dip.  I actually make it a point to make sure the sellers know why I am asking 3% less as it shouldn't be on them to take the hit for my lower asking price all on their own.  The agent should agree take some of the cost since they don't have to pay it out.

This all of course depends on how desirable a house is and how fast it may sell, but don't pay an agent any more than you need to and use it to your advantage.  If you feel 3% is fair to represent you by all means do it.  Some argue they are not paying so they don't care.  You are paying it, they just want to make it feel like someone else is paying it.  You also feel it when you go to sell.

YMMV

Edited by Hozzie

I have sold three homes in the last 2 years. Did all of them without a real estate agent. Everyone looks on Craigslist. I could sell them cheaper without the realtor and the Buyer got a better deal. Nothing against realtors, I just think their fees are a bit high for the service they provide.

Guess I'll have a lot of places to hunt, was wondering about that.

Yeah we're looking on Zillow and other sites for homes, just seems like it would be easier to have a representative looking for us also, coming from 800 miles away they can help set some viewings up. I've also bought and sold a couple of homes myself, not that big a deal. The adventure begins.

If it's possible, consider renting a place for a year before buying a home, to see if you really like an area (easier than moving!)

When we were looking to move down here, we visited several times, and even put an offer in on one place (never worked out). Glad it didn't, as we ended up on the other side of town. We have now purchased land and are building a house, but 45 minutes away from where we first started shopping. Now that we've been here 3 years, I'm glad it worked out the way it did.

• Like 2