Words I had given up on hearing!!!!

I just got off the phone with Ronnie (my son) down in Kingston Springs in Cheatham County. He just got off the phone with the Sheriff down there. The Sheriff told Ronnie that they have recovered 4 of the guns that were stolen from our home back in 1988 when they burglarized our home while we were at the hospital with my oldest son that was in a coma from and auto accident. They recovered all long guns. The most important one was recovered which is my dead sons Winchester model 1200 12 gauge. They also recovered my younger sons 20 gauge Winchester 1200 , my Mossberg 4.10 Pump and a Marlin 30/30. They said the investgation is on going and they hope to learn where more of them are. There is only 4 more long guns out there and all the rest are hand guns. 

The only gun out of all was my dead sons Winchester Pump that I really wanted back. I had bought it and my other sons 20 gauge for Christmas 3 years prior to my sons accident. I bought all 3 of those shotguns at Speciality Arms in LaVergne a couple years after they opened up for business and they were running a special on Winchesters. I wanted a pump 4.10 for a couple years so bought the Mossberg and because I was buying the other two guns they gave me a package deal on 3 guns. I remember having to take the 4.10 back because it would shoot around corners.  When I told the guy it would shoot around corners he laughed but took the gun in the back to their range and test fired it 3 times. He came back out with a new Mossberg in a box and handed me 5 boxes of 4.10 ammo. He said you are correct sir. It does shoot around corners. He said the barrel was evidently bent from the factory. Very nice folks to do business back then. They have grown a lot since I bought the shotguns.  

I really wanted it back most of all. They said they will be returned after the case is closed but at least I now know it will be coming home eventually where it belongs.

All they could tell Ronnie right now is they were discovered in a home in Cumberland Furnace during a drug bust raid on a house there and the occupants were arrested for dealing drugs out of the house. My son ask if he could give him the names of the drug dealers but he said he could not because it is an ongoing investigation. Ronnie was trying to see if it was someone he knew.

Will keep ya'll updated as I learn more. 

• Like 13
1 hour ago, dralarms said:

Sorry to hear about your son, glad you’ll be getting at least part of your guns back

Honesty after 30 years I had given up ever hearing any word about the guns but I guess miracles do come true if you wait long enough!!! I'm betting the guys that were caught with them are not and were not the burglars that stole them. My guess is they were traded for drugs. Either way I will be getting at least the 4 back. Have no idea what shape they will be in but does not matter right now. Just knowing that 12 gauge is in the 4 is enough for me right now..

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Honesty after 30 years I had given up ever hearing any word about the guns but I guess miracles do come true if you wait long enough!!! I'm betting the guys that were caught with them are not and were not the burglars that stole them. My guess is they were traded for drugs. Either way I will be getting at least the 4 back. Have no idea what shape they will be in but does not matter right now. Just knowing that 12 gauge is in the 4 is enough for me right now..

For me condition wouldn’t matter as much as actually getting it back. I do know a guy who can restore it if needed

1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

It's wild to think that despite being missing 30 years they stayed in TN. Doesn't seem they traveled very far. 

We have always thought it was someone that knew us and knew what was going on in or lives at that point they knew we were staying at the hospital as my son was declared terminal from the night of the accident so we were not leaving him.  My brother was going by the house to get things we needed and bringing them to the hospital. He told me about the break in and that the gun cases were empty cause I didn't have a gun safe back then. I told my brother where to find the list of all the guns and serial numbers and he went and filed the report for me. That sheriff at the time was a friend of mine so he sent a team over to my house and they finger printed the gun cases but they must have been wearing gloves cause there was no prints except imediate family in the house. My home owners insurance did not cover the guns. They told me I would have to add a seperate policy for them and I never got around to doing it.

Celebration may be a little premature but still good news. My son Ronnie went over to the sheriffs office today to talk with the sheriff about the guns. The serial numbers match what I reported back in 1988 so thats the good news. Not so good news is the drug raid was a DEA raid which means  the Feds have the guns and not the Sheriffs office. The Sheriff was the one that reported that the guns were reported stolen back in 1988 by a Cheatham County resident and requested that they be place in his care but because it was a Federal case the Feds have the guns and it could be upwards of a year before we get them back which will be after the trial.

I have no clue how long this can be dragged out but I am still optimistic they will be home soon. At least we know they have them.

• Like 1