MagLite LED Upgrade

I have a couple of old full-size MagLite flashlights with old-timey bulbs.  The kind that take two D-cell batteries, might even have a three cell somewhere.

Is it possible to replace the current bulb with one of the newer and far brighter LED bulbs?

I'm interested because I have a couple old maglights that I've been debating getting rid of.  Is the conversion cheap?  What's the benefit to converting a huge light that runs on D cells?  

It’s not bad at all. As far as benefit of running big old flashlights? I guess that would be up to the individual. I hate to trash anything so I want to convert mine as well even if just to use in the garage or backup light to my truck light. 

ABN Maglite Flashlight Replacement Conversion Kit Upgrade Bulb, LED D and C 2-3 Cell 220 Lumens of Bright White Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195I3XA6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Pz-sBbZ0BHTMF

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Just did this on two of the big D cell maglites my father in law used. He passed away the end of March. Both still have dirt and grime on them where he had used them. I bought 2 kits. They are fantastic and very bright now. Wasn't cheap but having these two flashlights working is priceless for my wife and I. One stays by her bedside and the other is in my truck. Ordered from https://malkoff-devices.myshopify.com

Edited by TripleGGG
  • Like 1

I did a 2 and a 3 cell that I converted years ago when MagLite first offered the upgrade. Made them lots brighter but not as bright as the new ones at the time that were made to be LED. Battery life is great, I often replace the batteries because they have reached the best use by date before they decide to leak because I didn't run them down yet. 

New flashlights are just so much better than maglights in every concievable way and they really aren't that expensive. I couldn't imagine paying to upgrade one unless it was under $10. 

In their day they were the best but not today.

That's why I was asking and trying to think about why I should upgrade these.

There are a ton of cheap lights from China, and I recently discovered the best of the best (IMO) come from Elzetta, made in Kentucky. 

big thumbs up for Malkoff conversions. i have plenty of new flashlights that I like but you can't beat D cells for storage and longevity. We keep 3 or 4 cell versions in each vehicle. They all have glass break tail caps on them. 

Nice solid tubes of hefty aluminum are useful for all kinds of things.

• Like 2

Mark beat me too it, was just going to say something similar. I have 3 large MagLite and MagLite like flash lights (lots of smaller ones, don't we all) and they are all in wall holders by doors, two in the house and one in the camper. Big, heavy, bat like flashlights have other uses beyond putting out light. The one non MagLite puts out a real 1000 lumens, it is by the back door ready to go if needed.